Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sudden sharp bang query?

• 25-08-2014 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

While out for a cycle on Saturday, cycling at a nice pace (30km. approx) on a road bike, I heard a sudden sharp bang coming from what appeared to be the chainring area - it was a one off, not creaking but something similar to a part breaking off or the noise that a loose chipping makes when it hits off the bike while travelling at a fast pace etc. but it was not the latter. It was after changing gears etc. but the gear changes are very smooth and everything appeared normal after that. I have checked insofar as I can to see if any part is loose or has come off, checked the spokes, chain etc. Obviously, I am very worried about this but am not in a position to take it to a bike shop before I hope to do my next cycle. Any suggestions on what else to check or look out for would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,537 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Are you sure there's no damage to the frame (what's the material?). Also have you taken the chainring off and checked the bottom bracket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

It could possibly be chain slap on the chainstay, quite common (hence chainstay protectors). Look for chip/mark on the chainstay surface (inside and underneath)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Maybe the front tire picked a small stone from the road and shot it into your drivetrain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Thanks for your response - I have only carried out a visual inspection and all appeared to be fine on that score. Apart from the usual cleaning and lubing, I am not very experienced at repairs etc. The bike is a Canyon Ultimate AL 9, I have checked the frame for damage and there does appear to be any but I have not taken off the chainring to check the bottom bracket, I think I would feel more comfortable to leave that aspect to a bike mechanic.

I presume you may be thinking that it might have been a chip hitting off the frame which seems like an obvious cause but although it seemed to be a similar type bang it was obvious to me at the time that it was not the case - perhaps I have not described it very well. If it were a bottom bracket issue, do you think that it would only be a one off only or would there be a continuing issue that would have become more apparent on the remained of the cycle home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Given that your frame is aluminium you can rule out some kind of structural cracking in the "carbon" frame. I would suggest taking off your wheels and checking that the welds and joints around your bottom bracket and stays are sound and don't have any visible cracks. Also ensure that nothing is loose or has any play with the pedals and BB. If all checks out I would say there is no obvious cause and you should be fine. As you were changing gear the sound could have been related to that but I would say its a one off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Check your spokes as well (are any noticeably loose/easily squeezed out of position), rare enough but if one came loose suddenly, it could make a noise like that and you would not notice any immediate change to ride quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Are you sure it wasn't just the sound of the front mech changing from big to small chainring. Try it while stationary and compare.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Check your spokes as well (are any noticeably loose/easily squeezed out of position), rare enough but if one came loose suddenly, it could make a noise like that and you would not notice any immediate change to ride quality.

Checked the spokes and all are OK.

Are you sure it wasn't just the sound of the front mech changing from big to small chainring. Try it while stationary and compare.

Absolutely certain....I wasn't changing the front chainring at the time.....know that noise from a previous bike...it was much much more defined, sudden and sharp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

If you were pressing hard on the pedals, it could have been the bottom bracket assembly shifting in the frame a bit (this would happen if it was tight, but not tight enough).

Test it by holding the bike from the side, leaning away from you, and with the pedal on your side at six o'clock - press the pedal away from you with your foot (the force across the frame) and see if you get a click or popping noise. If not, swap sides and backpedal the cranks back ,so the pedal on that side is at the bottom, and do it again (so the force is going back the other way).

If there's no noise, it's unlikely to be the BB.

• Advertisement

Type 17 wrote: »
    If you were pressing hard on the pedals, it could have been the bottom bracket assembly shifting in the frame a bit (this would happen if it was tight, but not tight enough).

Wasn't pressing hard on the pedals at all at the time....was travelling at a nice steady pace on a relatively flat surface. Believe me, I am hoping it was something that was not too serious but am very puzzled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Maidhci wrote: »
    Wasn't pressing hard on the pedals at all at the time....was travelling at a nice steady pace on a relatively flat surface. Believe me, I am hoping it was something that was not too serious but am very puzzled.

Fair enough, but try the test above anyway (only press hard enough to deflect the frame a little, but don't worry, you won't break anything unless it was knackered anyway, or you're Mr Universe).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Would you have cycled over something on the ground that made the noise--like a crisp bag with air/water inside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭sham58107

Would bb not have showed a lot more noise on your way home if it goes, it goes but usually loosens.
    Did you check chain could it have been a stiff link popping? or a bit off grit stuck in chain being ejected.
    Does not sound too bad if it was a once off.

Type 17 wrote: »
    Fair enough, but try the test above anyway (only press hard enough to deflect the frame a little, but don't worry, you won't break anything unless it was knackered anyway, or you're Mr Universe).

Thanks Type, but in all probability if that were the case it would have persisted on the remainder of the cycle home approx 30km., some of which was uphill.

Gerry T wrote: »
    Would you have cycled over something on the ground that made the noise--like a crisp bag with air/water inside

No, definitely not, it was more sharp and pronounced than that.

sham58107 wrote: »
    Would bb not have showed a lot more noise on your way home if it goes, it goes but usually loosens.
    Did you check chain could it have been a stiff link popping? or a bit off grit stuck in chain being ejected.
    Does not sound too bad if it was a once off.

I checked the chain at the time and again after I got home and nothing appeared out of the ordinary. I thought at the time that the chain had popped. The chain was was well lubed and very clean but as you say it could have been some grit being ejected but it sounded much louder than that at the time. I will have to examine the bike again when I get an opportunity tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Maybe it was a stone that got caught in the rear cassette and it got "flicked" out after you changed gear. Checking all joints, top and bottom, on the frame would be a good idea but hopefully its just a once off. Also best to check the wheel spindle and axle for any signs of hair-line cracks while your at it. Like the test on the BB mentioned above, there should be on play on your wheels--so make sure there is no possible lateral movement.

Many thanks for all your helpful suggestions and advice here - much appreciated. I have carried out all the checks, visual and otherwise that have been suggested here and thankfully all appear to be in order. Hoping to do a 120k. cycle on Sunday and will see how it goes. Thanks again.

Advertisement