Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleat fitting.

Options
  • 29-08-2014 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I recently purchased my first set of shimano pedals and shoes and it's really cool! But I'm having trouble getting the cleat set up right. Especially on my left shoe. The right shoe is fine but I just can't seem to get the cleat in the right spot on my left shoe as my knee does move sideways a bit at the top of the pedal stroke (compare to my right knee which goes vertically up and down cleanly without any sideways motion, if you get what I mean). After a 20km ride which included a big climb yesterday (which put a good amount of strain on my legs) my left knee was in a wee bit of pain (compared to my right knee which was fine). I can only put this down to bad cleat placement.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys know any good place I can go to get my cleats perfectly adjusted so I don't end up with messed up knees. I know bikefitstudio do cleat adjustment but they only seem to do look cleats while I've got shimano cleats. So anyone got any recommendations?? Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Have you tried altering it yourself much? Make some small alterations and try out shorter cycles before heading off up the hills again.

Have a read of this also: http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/cleats.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Hi yeah, I've been making small alterations pretty much everytime I go out for a cycle. It's just hard getting it just right which is kinda annoying as I've managed to get the right foot pretty much right. Problem is my feet aren't really symmetrical so what works for the right doesn't seem to work for the left leg. Like i've got to have the toes pointing slightly outward on the right foot but on the left I've gotta get them pointing straight ahead to keep my knee from moving out at the top of the pedal stroke and such. After my last ride I adjusted it again but it's still not perfect. It'ld probably be helpful if I had a turbo trainer or something at least so I could pedal properly with some load and see how it's getting on as right now it's make a adjustment, go for a ride, see if the legs are moving properly without any excess stress anywhere, make another adjustment, ride more and see if it makes things better and repeat... The thing is right now the adjustments are getting pretty small so if I go for a short ride on a flat, it's not a problem but if I climb a 5k category 3 climb, then I start to notice the stress and pain in my knee. I just don't wanna end up injuring myself and getting off the bike for a few weeks recovering...

Advertisement