Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gobsh!te Seller of the Year

• 08-08-2012 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

Made a genuine enquiry about this car today, well atleast I tried anyway ....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3721917

View2-13391974.jpeg

I really had no idea how much he was going to be asking for it. There was no price in the add, no hint as to a kinda price range he might be looking and all in all I didnt want to waste his or my time by calling with an offer that he thought was an insult. So I did what I thought was the sensible thing and sent him a simple text as follows :

" Just enquiring as to how much you're looking for the Volvo you have for sale"

Now maybe i'm just being a little simple in my expectation of a response i.e the bloody price but instead I got this :

" Phone me for more details "

Pissed me off to tell you the truth so I said " Maybe not after that reply, thanks " to which he replied " timewaster "

He must think he has the next best thing to a Jag E type parked in that field going by his arrogant add and replies. I most likely would have been wasting his time with my offer given how high a regard he holds this car in. That said, he really is wasting everyone elses time with a sales pitch like this. me thinks he'll have it for a good long while yet. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I would have asked him how he would like his euro ?

20 x 5c or 1 shiney €1 coin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    I would have asked him how he would like his euro ?

20 x 5c or 1 shiney €1 coin ?

Tell you the truth, given my liking for a wind up, I was really tempted to get into a slagging match. Whats the point though. The guy clearly has no expereince at selling what so ever and is extremely deluded with his estimation of this cars prestige. I dont think he knows he has, what is at best, an 800 quid car. I'd really love to know now how much he actually wants for it. I'm fairly sure I'd piss myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

err, why didn't you just phone him for the price then? Nothing too out of the ordinary ringing someone and saying "well mate, how much do you need to get for your car?". How exactly was he being arrogant? He just asked you to phone him.:confused: I feckin hate texters as well. Bleedin phone me. How come almost all dealers stick full page ads in mags etc with no prices, or P.O.A and that's ok, but when a private seller does it, he's a tosser? You've lost me on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Eh? It looks to me that the just wanted the opportunity to describe it more accurately before discussing a price, many sellers prefer phone calls over texts/emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

He is still the gob****e though

THE PRICE OF THE CAR IS VERY REASONABLE BUT WILL BE ONLY DISCUSSED WITH GENUINE PEOPLE WHEN THEY COME TO VIEW THE CAR !! IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS INFORMATION THEN DO NOT PHONE !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I had the same thing happen me. My car is advertised for 10,500. I had timewasters texting me offering 8000. Not only did I reply stating that I would take no less than 10,500 but I had "No texts, no swaps" included in the ad.

They kept at me and at me until eventually I threatened the Gardai on them because they were just annoying me with constant texts even though I only replied to the first one.

From experience, texting is a waste of time from a seller's point of view because genuine people will always ring, they don't very often text. Now I'm not saying that your enquiry wasn't genuine. I'm saying that If you have a genuine question, it does not cost much more and is no more hassle to just ring in the first place.

Also, I find that genuine people will not usually ask much about the price until they have looked at and driven the car.

Pottler wrote: »
    err, why didn't you just phone him for the price then? Nothing too out of the ordinary ringing someone and saying "well mate, how much do you need to get for your car?". How exactly was he being arrogant? He just asked you to phone him.:confused: I feckin hate texters as well. Bleedin phone me.

Ah no. Its one thing if A) he said no texts in the add .... bu, B) He took the time to text back to call him when he could just as easily given me the price and C) thats just fcukin messing, [EMAIL="I@m"]I'm[/EMAIL] not a messer when I'm buying or selling. Keep things simple, he fcuked around and maybe he lost a sale ( but I doubt he'll ever sell it )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Ah, just read the ad.

Price secrecy winds me up, and I never respond to advert that has no price - they are the time wasters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

err, why didn't you just phone him for the price then? Nothing too out of the ordinary ringing someone and saying "well mate, how much do you need to get for your car?". How exactly was he being arrogant? He just asked you to phone him.:confused: I feckin hate texters as well. Bleedin phone me. How come almost all dealers stick full page ads in mags etc with no prices, or P.O.A and that's ok, but when a private seller does it, he's a tosser? You've lost me on this.

yes, but just drop the "mate" shyte.........;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Oh dear, have you seen the main photo with the number plate in clear view?

Then the rest of the photos has the number plate scribbled out, and another one with a coat over it. lol

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    yes, but just drop the "mate" shyte.........;)

From what I know, Pottler is actually English so he's allowed :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Never get into any negotiation by email or text. It's not too difficult to call, and it shows the seller you are a genuine prospect.

p.s. What's a full Irish car? Perhaps it has a plate of bacon and sausages on the back seat :D That Volvo is an import.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I like his method of blocking his reg. Most of his photos have the reg deliberately blacked out and then he undoes all of his good work with this subtle gem....:pac:

Full-13391979.jpeg

Edit: <Ollie> beat me too it!

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Ah no. Its one thing if A) he said no texts in the add .... bu, B) He took the time to text back to call him when he could just as easily given me the price and C) thats just fcukin messing, I'm not a messer when I'm buying or selling. Keep things simple, he fcuked around and maybe he lost a sale ( but I doubt he'll ever sell it )
    You lost me on this Saab ed. Why are you getting so worked up over somthing you don't sound like you even wanted to buy? Maybe he does have issues, who knows, but he seems to state fairly clearly in the ad that price will only be discussed after viewing. It's a pile of poo anyway! And yup, I'm allowed say "mate", cos I'm a Londoner! Some sellers are funny with how they value what they have(ie crackers) but sure how bad to have to make a call to find out? A feckin awful lookin car tho, have to say. Did these not get built by the Dutch and leak like a sieve?

Jarren wrote: »
    He is still the gob****e though

THE PRICE OF THE CAR IS VERY REASONABLE BUT WILL BE ONLY DISCUSSED WITH GENUINE PEOPLE WHEN THEY COME TO VIEW THE CAR !! IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS INFORMATION THEN DO NOT PHONE !!!!!

Maybe its this type of language which leads me to think he's very arrogant. I'm not going to drive to Galway before I get a price and its very obvious from his pitch that he's an amatuer. There's no point in an amatuer trying to talk me into something that I aint gonna buy, that would be him wasting his time. Like I said, if he didnt want texts then just say no texts. Simple.

You lost me on this Saab ed. Why are you getting so worked up over somthing you don't sound like you even wanted to buy?

How did you work that one out. I asked him how much it was. Based on that answer I would then establish if or not I was going to then try and buy the car. very simple. I had a very genuine interest in the car. You're not the seller by any chance are you ? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You lost me on this Saab ed. Why are you getting so worked up over somthing you don't sound like you even wanted to buy?

Maybe something to do with this:

So you expect me to travel X amount of miles to view your car without even giving me a ballpark to let me know if it's within my budget in the first place? Could be €800, could be €8000! :eek:

Yeah, I think the seller is a bit of a tool with this attitude TBH. Then again it's his €5 to waste.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    How did you work that one out. I asked him how much it was. Based on that answer I would then establish if or not I was going to then try and buy the car. very simple. I had a very genuine interest in the car. You're not the seller by any chance are you ? :p
    Nope, was just genuinely curious as to why that annoyed you so much. I'd have just rung him tbh, or decided to leave it. No biggie really.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Rang him advised him i deal in scrap metal and offered to take the car for free.

He refused my kind offer:rolleyes:

TBH my initial instinct told me not to bother trying to buy it in the first place, the ad clearly shows he's not a sellers seller. The text might be a little crude I'll admit but I was just trying to avoid a total waste of time for both of us. Had he replied €1,000 then I'd have given him a call, €5,000 and I would just have said okay thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

From what I know, Pottler is actually English so he's allowed :P

in the bean, maybe - but not here ;)

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    So you expect me to travel X amount of miles to view your car without even giving me a ballpark to let me know if it's within my budget in the first place?

No, that's why you ring him! As a seller, people can gauge better whether someone is taking the piss or genuine in a conversation over the phone rather than by text.

No, that's why you ring him! As a seller, people can gauge better whether someone is taking the piss or genuine in a conversation over the phone rather than by text.

I'm not doubting you but he clearly says he will not discuss the price until you come VIEW the car. ;)

I'd say his level of enquiries and price have gone up with all this free publicity. You're not the seller by any chance Saab ed?:P Anyway, it's his car, if you don't like the way he's selling it, then, don't buy it?. Seems straightforward enough to me.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I'm not doubting you but he clearly says he will not discuss the price until you come VIEW the car. ;)

Ah I see, that's different although he's probably working on the paradigm of view the car, drive it, then we NEGOTIATE on the price but he's doing it wrong!

As a seller, people can gauge better whether someone is taking the piss or genuine in a conversation over the phone rather than by text.

Yes but I do this all day long , for fun and for a living. This guy is no seller, he's never going to talk me into something, he's clearly out of his depth with an ad worded like so. I was trying to be easy on him.

As regard texts, every day of the week I would send and receive texts between myself and other traders as to how much they would need or give for certain vehicles. Its no biggie. You are asked how much , you reply, thats the end. Simple but again maybe I gave this guy a little too much credit in thinking he'd just reply simply to a simple request.

And lastly ...... if i dont want texts then I just simply put the words No Texts at the end of the ad. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It's mental to ask that you VIEW the car 1st. Total gobbo. I wouldn't have even text him with that attitude. If I did, it would be to wind him up.

Well, he is doing this wrong anyway

http://www.swapandsell.ie/great-prices-on/Cars/for-sale/volvo-480-es-sport/2101

It says that the ad age is.....1 year

he's doing it wrong!

Correct! :)

• Advertisement

Now I know how much he wants for it. It must be some shed if he couldnt get that for it a year ago ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

so €500 is the price :D

He wanted €500 for it a year back - Ed, you may eat humble pie and call him back (maybe use a different phone!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

I'm with Saab Ed on this. Where did he get the idea Saab Ed wanted more details? He was told exactly what details were needed.

Of course there is no point in actually saying that so I would probably say nothing. Any of the excuses made here on the seller's behalf could easily have been explained in the text message without any extra effort, so he is obviously not someone I'd want to deal with.

Anyway he's got a price in the add now. Text him and offer him his 1 euro asking price - cash money :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

There is no way i would waste my time going to view a car just to get a price.

If you wont tell people how much you want to sell it for, then dont expect to sell it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

First to see will buy !

• Advertisement

I don't think that there was a first though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

... or maybe he is 'attached' to the car and wants to find a good home for it rather than 'making money' on it ... you just never know with people and their circumstances.

... or maybe he's one of these people who doesn't want to get into a chain of text messages (some people are good at that, asking 1 question at a time ...).

If interested, I'd contact him again (with another phone number LOL :D )

(With such an early 1995 registration number, could it really be a UK import?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would have considered giving a ballpark price to be the first thing you'd do. SaabEd wasn't trying to bargain just yet!

What an absolute clown.

ValerieR wrote: »
    ... or maybe he is 'attached' to the car and wants to find a good home for it rather than 'making money' on it ... you just never know with people and their circumstances.
    QUOTE]

Put it in the lonely hearts section so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Is it just me or has the passenger door been painted / refitted? Looks like a different shade and like it's dropped (on the phone anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I feckin hate texters as well. Bleedin phone me. How come almost all dealers stick full page ads in mags etc with no prices, or P.O.A and that's ok, but when a private seller does it, he's a tosser? You've lost me on this.
    F that crap, also the timing is amusing:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80132151&postcount=5326

Would have taken him no more effort to state the price (anywhere, advert, text or take a f-ing lesson from his own rule book and simply ring Saab-Ed back on the number he now has) with the proviso that no negotiations until its viewed.

Texts are the simpliest and fastest thing in the world to deal with. The freakshows that ring you to talk about how they had a car like that 10years ago or want to haggle a price and point out "flaws" from the little photo they seen are way way worse than a little text.

Open negotiations with text, discuss with phone call, close with handshake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Well he should have just put the bloody price on it and be done with it.Also he cant expect people to view the car without knowing the price.After all, someone is not going to view the car to be told he is looking for way too much for it.

Having saying all that, you cant blame him for not wanting time wasters (no one does) to be pestering him (not saying you are Saab Ed) and yes he also should have mentioned about no texts, but.......you should have just rang him Saab Ed .There was no need to have texted him back what you did.

The car would not be my cup of tea though.It pains me to have to disagree with a Saab owner too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

From experience, texting is a waste of time from a seller's point of view because genuine people will always ring, they don't very often text.

'always ring' and 'don't often text'. Well, which is it ?

Make up your mind: you (general, not personal) either want to sell something, or you don't. In which case, you at least have an idea of how much you want for it: so why not pre-empt all the palaver by telling people how much you want for it ?

And I disagree on texting: I'm 'genuine': I've bought two cars, not solely by text, but certainly with an amount of texting. I've also sold both cars and bikes by text. Text is nothing more than an up-to-date method of communication. If you don't want to be contacted by it, then use a landline and stop wasting our (i.e., buyer's) time. Timewasting goes both ways.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    'always ring' and 'don't often text'. Well, which is it ?

Make up your mind: you (general, not personal) either want to sell something, or you don't. In which case, you at least have an idea of how much you want for it: so why not pre-empt all the palaver by telling people how much you want for it ?

And I disagree on texting: I'm 'genuine': I've bought two cars, not solely by text, but certainly with an amount of texting. I've also sold both cars and bikes by text. Text is nothing more than an up-to-date method of communication. If you don't want to be contacted by it, then use a landline and stop wasting our (i.e., buyer's) time. Timewasting goes both ways.....

Good point about "which is it" :o

Speaking from my current ongoing experience of trying to sell my car, any texts I've gotten have all been from lads looking for a laugh by offering me 2500 less than what the car is advertised at. I have it well below what it's worth in this country given the way things are. Also, people wanting to trade when it's specifically mentioned at the bottom of the ad (beside no texts, no private numbers) that I don't want to swap.

The only genuine enquiries I've had have been calls as has been the way with all my previous cars when I was selling them.

I can't speak for everyone obviously but this is my personal experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I've sold a couple of vehicles where the initial contact was by text. The buyers were all young people so I think it is a generation thing - young people are afraid to phone a stranger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Good point about "which is it" :o

Speaking from my current ongoing experience of trying to sell my car, any texts I've gotten have all been from lads looking for a laugh by offering me 2500 less than what the car is advertised at. I have it well below what it's worth in this country given the way things are. Also, people wanting to trade when it's specifically mentioned at the bottom of the ad (beside no texts, no private numbers) that I don't want to swap.

The only genuine enquiries I've had have been calls as has been the way with all my previous cars when I was selling them.

I can't speak for everyone obviously but this is my personal experience.

I appreciate that, and I've got the odd loon too. But is it any worse than a tyrekicker who turns up at your door and turns out to be a 'physical' timewaster too ? I'd rather do that remote, on a phone, then standing around on a wet day, outside. It's just part of selling: a % will always be for the birds.

And you need to keep the goal in mind: selling the object. You need to park the emotive. You're not marrying them. So long as they turn up, pay a fair price, does it really matter even if they are nuts ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

To be fair, you could have just text back 'Thanks, but I think I'll leave it' rather than what you said.

What is there to be thankful for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    What is there to be thankful for

Costs nothing to be polite

Also costs nothing to be reasonable

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement