Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Strobelight Effect in Headlamps: How!

Options
  • 11-03-2012 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

A mate of mine has just asked me where can you get those strobe light effect headlamps, you know the kind that always seem to be flashing when cars are being tested around tracks on TV shows. I'm presuming its some sort of kit with bulbs but I hadn't got a clue what the answer was and to tell you the truth I'd love to know myself now. Can anybody tell me how and where these can be got.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Its a trick of the camera
    A bit like trying to record an old tv screen and rolling lines would appear.

i'm sure someone with photographic expertise will be able to give a better answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

These are the same as the Gardai and recovery trucks use. You should be able to get them in most proper truck places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

These are the same as the Gardai and recovery trucks use. You should be able to get them in most proper truck places.

i think the op is talking about the drl's and rear reds appearing to strobe, Just watch Top gear to see what i mean.

This strobing is a trick of the light/camera

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭tossy

The flashing lights you are talking about only appear to be flashing as the refresh rate of the LEDs clashes with the frame rate of the camera - at least that's my lay man understanding of it - in other words the are not really flashing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

tossy wrote: »
    The flashing lights you are talking about only appear to be flashing as the refresh rate of the LEDs clashes with the frame rate of the camera - at least that's my lay man understanding of it - in other words the are not really flashing.
    Same pohenomenon as a super slow-mo with a screen in the background (eg at a football match), the screen always looks to be flashing in the slow-mo shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Chriscl1 wrote: »

Now this suggests a different answer to everyone else. Do you actualy cut holes in the back of your headlamps to fit these.

You're never finished learning though. I never knew that was a trick of the camera :)

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

I think they just fit in place if the regular bulbs. I've seen them lots on drift cars and safety cars too. I know what the above posters are saying about flashing lights on tv but tbh I've only noticed the rear led lights doing that flickering. These strobe ones look nothing like flickering led's on video playback.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXUPVnvIMxc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

There's two,things being talked about there:

- strobe bulbs like those listed in the EBay link

- LED headlights. The new craze that's moved the game on from Xenon headlights is the LED headlights. these will appear flicker when being filmed, but won't appear to flicker in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

I've seen led drl's but not led headlights. Do they use a projector? I thought leds make a bright light but the light doesn't travel very far so wouldn't be good for say dipped beam etc???

• Advertisement

- LED headlights. The new craze that's moved the game on from Xenon headlights is the LED headlights. these will appear flicker when being filmed, but won't appear to flicker in reality.

Im pretty sure LED's aren't being used for headlights in production yet. There are issues with heat output that prevent this at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Im pretty sure LED's aren't being used for headlights in production yet. There are issues with heat output that prevent this at the moment.

They are. The R8 V10 has them as standard and they are optional on the new A8 and A6. Also optional on the new CLS.

They don't use projectors from what I've seen. I wonder will we see LED headlight aftermarket kits anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK the Nissan Leaf has them as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

were these on top gear last week?
    i seem to remember a car with headlights flashing like this, it was in slow motion though, maybe that was the camera?
    cant fecking remember which car it was though:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I thought LED's would have the least heat output compared to standard halogen or xenon bulbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

ksimpson wrote: »
    They are. The R8 V10 has them as standard and they are optional on the new A8 and A6. Also optional on the new CLS.

They don't use projectors from what I've seen. I wonder will we see LED headlight aftermarket kits anytime soon.

here they are

would love to see what there like from behind the wheel myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Stealthirl wrote: »
    would love to see what there like from behind the wheel myself

Judging by all the bulbs involved, I'd doubt we'll be seeing aftermarket kits.

BTW, these are a €3k option on the A6. Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

There's two,things being talked about there:

- strobe bulbs like those listed in the EBay link

Yes it seems to be two different things being posted about alright.

In the case of LEDs appearing to flicker, if the LEDs use pwm (pulse width modulation) as a method to control the LED brightness, or to regulate them from slightly varying voltage, then they will appear to flicker in video recordings. PWM is the rapid switching on and off of the LEDs, the ratio of on to off time being increased to increase brightness, or to stay at the same brightness for a lower voltage, and vice versa.

If they are 100% on, then there will be no flickering. If pwm is used, it can show up in video recordings, but the frequency would be too high to see seen by eye.

I thought LED's would have the least heat output compared to standard halogen or xenon bulbs?

The high intensity LEDs typically have a lot lower wattage for the same light output as incandescent bulbs, and so produce a lot less heat. But the LED lamps need to have proper heat sinking for the heat that is produced.

Incandescent bulbs dont realy need heatsinking, as the light itself is produced purely by heat, and not that much of this heat is conducted to the bulb socket but is mostly radiated into the surrounding air, where as heat would ruin a high intensity LED junction, which would be trapped in the LED without heat sinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

robbie7730 wrote: »
    If they are 100% on, then there will be no flickering. If pwm is used, it can show up in video recordings, but the frequency would be too high to see seen by eye.
    Just out of interest, and at the risk of a tangent, LED traffic lights - do they flicker on purpose to attract attention, or is a side effect of an odd PWM choice, or is it some crappy 50Hz coming through?

• Advertisement

langdang wrote: »
    Just out of interest, and at the risk of a tangent, LED traffic lights - do they flicker on purpose to attract attention, or is a side effect of an odd PWM choice, or is it some crappy 50Hz coming through?

I never actually noticed that myself. Flickering to the naked eye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Flickering to the naked eye?
    Maybe not for normal people.... I can see it tho.

Maybe not for normal people.... I can see it tho.

I wouldnt say they are intended to be visibly flickering anyway. If they are supplied from a rectified and reduced 230v AC, but not smoothed by DC capacitors, they would go off 100 times a second per cycle, which shouldnt be noticable.
    Discharge lighting such as used in street lighting, and flourescent lighting, all do that. Incansescent lights dont because they dont get a chance to cool to go off between half cycles, but they do slightly pulse on the AC supply, which can be seen in slow motion video.

If they are LED, and were PWM`d for some reason, (dimmed operation at night perhaps?), and at too low a rate, they could appear to visibly flicker. But its easy to dim LED`s right down to nothing, without ever seeing them flicker, using a few hundred micro seconds as the PWM pulse time widths.

The same setup can be used for controlling car fan speeds, something i will do on my own one if i ever get around to it, as the resistor pack has gone, so its full fan speed, or off at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭positron

bladebrew wrote: »
    were these on top gear last week?
    i seem to remember a car with headlights flashing like this, it was in slow motion though, maybe that was the camera?
    cant fecking remember which car it was though:mad:

I noticed it too - I think it was the new BMW M5, and it was the angel / hallow eyes part of the headlight that was flickering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Q3PLAmHwY

Look at 3:36, 4:02, 4:13 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

They only flicker on camera. I use my phone as a dash cam and a couple of times I've noticed the tail lights of cars flickering/flashing on the screen but not to the naked eye.

Btw, why the hell would anyone actually want their lights to do this? :confused:

They only flicker on camera. I use my phone as a dash cam and a couple of times I've noticed the tail lights of cars flickering/flashing on the screen but not to the naked eye.

Btw, why the hell would anyone actually want their lights to do this? :confused:

To do which though, visibly strobe, or flicker but only visibly on a camera/video?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭positron

Strobe effect makes the lights more noticeable - hence safer. I half thinking of doing that on my motorbike. I have seen a good people have strobe effect setup for their motorcycle's brake light, which really makes it stand out, which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

To do which though, visibly strobe, or flicker but only visibly on a camera/video?

To visibly strobe. It's bad enough having to deal with muppets using their foglights 24/7 or 10000000000k xenon bulbs in reflector headlamps without adding strobe lights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chippy01

positron wrote: »
    Strobe effect makes the lights more noticeable - hence safer. I half thinking of doing that on my motorbike. I have seen a good people have strobe effect setup for their motorcycle's brake light, which really makes it stand out, which is a good thing.

If you want to go that way for a bike, search for 'headlamp modulators'. They are popular in the U.S., but not all states endorse them.
    Stoplamp modulators are another thing altogether, and are (imo) a good option to fit.

Advertisement