Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Our Culture of Offensive Gestures

• 18-02-2008 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Offensive gestures represent an unwritten code of bad manners - imho.
    What I am referring to are the two finger 'V' gesture or it's modern equivalent the middle finger held in phallic mode. Nobody ever needs to explain to us what this means because we know instinctively and do not need to ask.

It can represent a friendly communication between acquaintances or may be intended as a gesture of abuse used on occasions when it is sought to send a SCUD missile toward somebody who has invaded our space, physical or mental or at least those of us who use these symbols. I'm not much given to such semaphoric signaling although I will not deny having done so on a very rare occasion and in response to some provocation or other.

My point in starting this thread is to start a discussion as to what signal might we use to indicate at a distance that we acknowledge that we have made a mistake (like in a traffic maneouvre) or inadvertently crossed another somehow and wish to indicate regret and an apology quickly and understandably.

Currently there is no gesture in common use that serves such purpose.
    Any suggestions as to what might suffice ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not a personal issue.
    Abraham wrote: »
    My point in starting this thread is to start a discussion as to what signal might we use to indicate at a distance that we acknowledge that we have made a mistake (like in a traffic maneouvre) or inadvertently crossed another somehow and wish to indicate regret and an apology quickly and understandably.
    Head down, eyes contact , sad face, right hand held up palm to other road user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

This is not a PI.

nice one victor moved before i could :D

*makes gesture* (as its AH now :))

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Not a PI

read forum charter before posting.
    B

/edit
    ffs lads :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Has to be mooning, surely.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Victor wrote: »
    Not a personal issue.Head down, eyes contact , sad face, right hand held up palm to other road user.
    Marksie wrote: »
    This is not a PI.

nice one victor moved before i could :D

*makes gesture* (as its AH now :))
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    Not a PI

read forum charter before posting.
    B

/edit
    ffs lads :D
    Remind me not to mess with the PI crowd. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭funloving

In Italy we do have loads of these signals for everything...unfortunately I dont know how to explain them to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

I have no intention of usurping the control of moderators or management here but think that the topic has some merit and is worth a run. It just might fly.
    Sorry,if I've placed it wrongly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

bloody hell, the PI mods are efficient! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This would suggest that there are too many PI mods and we should look at rationalizing that area. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I personally take it upon myself to eat the chick out when I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Nobody is safe in PI....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Or AH
    Bambi wrote: »
    This would suggest that there are too many PI mods and we should look at rationalizing that area. :)
    Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Prehaps some kind of proactive streamlining of the area? We could maximise cost effectivness by relocating the tardiest mod to our new office on the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

funloving wrote: »
    In Italy we do have loads of these signals for everything...unfortunately I dont know how to explain them to you

Use gestures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

the PI crowd
    New comedy from Graham Linehan to celebrate boardsie's 10th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Nobody is safe in PI....

because noone expects the PI inquisition

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Offensive gestures represent an unwritten code of bad manners - imho.
    What I am referring to are the two finger 'V' gesture or it's modern equivalent the middle finger held in phallic mode. Nobody ever needs to explain to us what this means because we know instinctively and do not need to ask.

It can represent a friendly communication between acquaintances or may be intended as a gesture of abuse used on occasions when it is sought to send a SCUD missile toward somebody who has invaded our space, physical or mental or at least those of us who use these symbols. I'm not much given to such semaphoric signaling although I will not deny having done so on a very rare occasion and in response to some provocation or other.

I usually tip my top-hat to the left in a jovial fashion, whilst bowing slightly. Then I playfully twirl my waxed moustache, planning my next escapade and with a flick of my cloak, slip off into the shadows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i shall start a time and motion at once would gyou be so good as to pass me the costings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Stare your child in the eyes, and give him 'back of the hand' The reaction is him running away scared, works well with the wife too

Advertisement