Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Mortem Results

Options
  • 17-02-2008 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

My aunt (mothers sister) died over the xmas period and there was a post mortem done, however my mother hasn't been informed yet of what the results were.

She has contacted her dead sisters husband a few times and asked if he has heard anything but he keeps saying he will get back to her as he hasn't heard yet.

Does anyone know if these things take some time as she is very distraught over her death and would like to know what actually happened to her?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It can take quite a time. A couple of months in one case I had the unpleasant experience of.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

"Following some deaths, a post mortem (also called an autopsy) is carried out to gain more information about the death. Prior to the post mortem, the attending doctor will seek the consent of the next of kin. Post mortems are carried out with respect and dignity of the deceased and will not usually delay the funeral. The results may play an important part in helping you to understand and come to terms with the death. Results of a post mortem usually take up to three weeks to prepare but can take up to eight weeks. "

From an undertakers website.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Contact the state pathologist office and ask for an update. Have the date and the name of the pathologist who performed the autopsy.

They would probably be able to give you the info you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,287 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Post Mortem may have been inconclusive, so they are waiting on laboratory results, which might also be inconclusive, so they have to wait for the coroner.

You might have a look at this http://www.coronerdublincity.ie//faqs/index.htm

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My uncle died suddenly in November and the initial results were inconclusive. We're still waiting for an official cause of death, so obviously it can take quite a while in some cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

My aunt died in Dec 05 and had to have a post mortem. We didn't get the results until July 06.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

My grandmother's sister died in December 06' and it wasn't until my nan went to get her death cert. that she found out that an autopsy had been coducted and they were waiting on the results etc. It was a nasty shock and worried us all, in the end though there was nothing amiss. The results were published 10 weeks after the post mortem.

From a work perspective, I've seen some results take up to 8 months when there has been no particular "rush" per se so feel free to call the corner's office etc and press for information.

Advertisement