Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of Depression

• 18-01-2008 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'll try and keep this short, although I could rant for pages about this. I appreciate everyone who took the time to read this - I dunno how people do it..reply to all these problems, but anyway...

I'm 16 y.o female..in 5th year of school..and I think I'm depressed. I'm almost 90% sure that I am clinically depressed, I think I have been for around 4 years now (seems like a lifetime though) but I've only really 'accepted' it in the last year or so. I dunno why..I just never thought of depression as an illness. I always thought of it as an attention seeking thing...people who were just whiny, and I always thought that it was a mental thing. Well, I suppose it is but I mean that I always thought depressed people could 'snap out of it' if they were determined enough. But over all these years, I've tried so hard to be happy..but I just can't do it anymore. I'm relatively good at hiding my enmotions - my friends wouldn't think I'm depressed because when I'm around loads of people I can put on a brave face...and for a while it works. I'd be happy if I'm out at a party with loads of friends, talking, drinking...but when I get home I get so lonely and I can't sleep so I just stay up and drink and watch tv. I could go on about this but I don't want to depress you with the details of my sad life. The thing is, I don't deserve to be depressed. I go to a good school, I have good friends, a family that loves me (even though we never talk when we're upset or after big arguements - we just ignore each other), and I'm reasonably well off. I don't think I'm extremely clever but I think I could do well enough in the Leaving Cert if I could concentrate enough to study.

Anyway, now that I've 'accepted' it I know I should get help. I don't really want to...I mean, especially therapy because I'm not one for talking about my feelings (surprisingly - I'm a girl!). But maybe anti-depressants would help?

Basically, the whole point of this thread is

1) Do you think I'm clinically depressed?

2) How much does a GP visit cost, and how much are anti-depressants?

3) How many years would I be on anti-depressants for me to be 'cured'?

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Those are questions you should take up with your loving family. Cost should be the last thing on your mind. The first step is finding help. If you have a medical card the consultation should be free and the pills should cost next to nothing. Treatments and lengths vary dramatically. Therapy may sound embarrassing and the like, but in the end it would be beneficial.

You cant figure out why youre depressed? Must be something - maybe not anything youve mentioned above. What about your future? They spend a lot of time in leaving cert getting you all prepped for it - do you really know what you want to do? Lack of direction will make anyone depressed.

But thats just what I went through back then: whats eating you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Depression is very common - 20% of people will suffer from it in their lifetimes. However, many people confuse short term "being depressed" with depression and others assume that their symtoms match a random condition. That said, you think you might be depressed and thats a good start to make with a doctor.
    howmuch? wrote: »
    I don't know, not that what I know matters. Only a doctor can make that diagnosis after a consultation. Self-diagnosis of anything but the most basic complaints is profoundly problematic. What I would suggest is that you talk to your parents (or if you prefer an aunt or uncle that you can talk to or a teacher or school counsellor) and arrange an appointment with a doctor.
    2) How much does a GP visit cost,
    It depands, but typically around €50.
    and how much are anti-depressants?
    It varies. Some schemes provide them free. It also depends on dosage.
    3) How many years would I be on anti-depressants for me to be 'cured'?
    It doesn't work like that. It might be 1-2 months or it could be years.

One thing I would suggest is avoid alcohol. I think you might have worked out by yourself that it causes problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

The most they'll cost is around €85 a month. THe governement pays anything above that.

Though I'd recommend regular exercise, a healthy diet & psychological therapy before going near them. They can be addictive & the success rate isn't all that mighty

I can understand not being open with your feelings with friends/family but with a trained professional who's legally obliged to ensure complete confidentiality whats the problem? In America it's normal to have a shrink. You only tell them what you want to say & you can get a new one or stop going all together if you don't like it. More difficult to get away from addictive drugs.

Though I'd recommend regular exercise, a healthy diet & psychological therapy before going near them. They can be addictive & the success rate isn't all that mighty

+1. Being inactive and drinking will do a lot to muck up your head. Exercise and a proper diet of food (diet != spinach binge. diet == less junk, more meat and potato, fruit and veg) helps to keep your hormones in check which are the final word in what mood you will be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

The first thing you need to do is to talk to your parents about this. Then they can bring you to a doctor and talk about getting you some counselling which will try to get to the root of your problems.

Therapy should always be the first port of call and antidepressants should be a very final resort because as you haven't finished growing and your hormones are running wild anyway, a good doctor should be very reluctant to prescribe them.

Antidepressants themselves do not cure depression and they do not make you happy. They work at levelling out extreme emotions but they cannot get rid of the cause of the problem. Also bear in mind that you cannot drink alcohol when taking medication.

Not all kinds of therapy involve endless talking about your feelings but Cognitive behavioural therapy has been shown to be as effective as antidepressants in treating mild to moderate depression as it gives you skills for coping with the thought and behaviour patterns that lead to depression.

Not being dismissive at all of your problems but to some extent feeling like you do is very common amongst people of your age even though you may not realise it. It is still important to go to your doctor and deal with it before the patterns of thinking associated with it become a habit.

Out of interest, are you on the pill? as that can play havoc with hormones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Wow thanks for all the replies. I'm not on the pill by the way. I recently joined the gym and I try to get 3 times a week. I also train with a basketball team twice a week, so I get plenty of excercise. As for diet, I eat loads of crap but then again so does every teenager. I eat over 5 portions of fruit+verg a day, as well as potatoes virtually every day and usually a meat/fish. I may eat chocolate but thats supposed to make you happy, right?

I'm generally a pessimistic person but even still I've been trying to accept that many people 'feel depressed' (not necessarily are depressed) at my age. But I honestly can't think that people in my year, my friends, feel this way. I know that most students get stressed out about the LC, college etc. and that is true of me aswell but even without that I'm still depressed. A few examples:

I think about things way too much. I'm a worrier, I'm pessimistic. I don't see the point in me living...in life in general. I don't see myself in college, or in a job that I like. I don't want to go to college but I'm going to anyway (parents etc.) and that makes me feel even worse...that I'm wasting money going to college when someone else would benefit from it. Actually, I'm just a waste of space in general. Think about all the money spent on me, as a baby, growing up, school, health, christmas, pocket money etc. - all this when I don't even want to live. How selfish is that? And there's millions of people who would like to take my place...children in places like Africa, Vietnam, China or even just homeless people in Dublin. That, for example, is something I thought about in much more detail one day. I think about things way too much. It just gets me really down.

Another example, is TV. I'm addicted to it. I watch Lost, 24, Desperate Housewives, Prison Break, CSI, Criminal Minds, Law and Order, Greys Anatomy, ER, Scrubs, The Simpsons, Futurama, Malcom in the Middle etc. etc. I'm listing all these because I watch them regularly. I wish so much that I could be a character in one of those shows...and lead a more exciting life. I get bored and tired easily so these shows allow me to relax and get more calm and daydream about being somebody..instead of a nobody. To think I would rather be Kate from Lost...someone stranded on an island without food, with polar bears, a weird monster and the others! I would rather be her than me. Granted, in the show, she is good looking and with Jack/Sawyer but I would actually prefer her situation to me. Why? Excitement I guess..

So I, personally, think I'm depressed. From those examples would you agree? I want to be sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Gemini Sister

Poor OP. Its a tough old life.

I'd agree stongly with the last poster there, you are a little bit young for anti-depressants.

Doctors diagnose clinical depression based on seven symptoms e.g. waking up middle of night, appetite issues... Google them.

Again I absolutely do not want to trivialise what you're going through.
    BUT. Speaking from personal experience, (I'm now in my thirties), from about age 14 to age 17 was pure, living hell. Wouldn't fancy that again, no thankyou. I don't know is it hormonal or is it just that you do not know how to BE, you've left the diversions of early youth behind and it all just HURTS.

But these dark feelings lifted miraculously at about age 17 and a half. Still regressed occasionally but generally started to live a fantastc, exciting life. You will too.

The black dog came back with a vengence when I was 29. I chose not to take anti depressants and got through it anyway, but I know alot of people who have used them. Every one has their own way.

OP try the health and exercise stuff. Also with us girls, depression seems very linked to loss and to self esteem issues. Exercise works wonders for self esteem issues. Also gives you a sense of achievement. Do talk about it as well.
    Cognitive therapy, in its simplest form is about not letting your mind say negative things to you. Think positive, visualise. Accept that how you feel today is not how you are going to feel next week or next year.

Best of luck x

And as for the actual medical sides of things, I was asking those questions because I don't want my family/friends to know and wanted to work out if I could afford anti-depressants on my own.

I don't understand the whole medical card thing...I'm not sure if I have one. Do most people have medical cards? As far as I remember, we always pay for GP visits so if it's 50euro for the GP visit, thats that sorted out.

As for the drugs, it's gone up to 90euro limit a month on the DPS which is way too much for me to pay a month. But not all drugs cost that much. I was in the chemist a while ago and something I got was only 11euro or so, which is affordable.

I worked full time over the summer and I work on the weekends now so it is possible..

I presume that people are going to convince me to talk to my parents but..you don't know them. It's embarrassing.

As for alcohol, somebody said you can't drink while taking medication. Does that mean just at the time you took it, or permanantly?!

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I presume that people are going to convince me to talk to my parents but..you don't know them. It's embarrassing.
    I'm 35 and is can still be difficult. But hey, they changed your nappies, you can talk to them.

Alcohol disrupts quite a few medications. For the duration of hte course of medication, you should avoid alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Gemini Sister

OP, you're still sounding pretty normal I'm afraid :o

Put this anti depressants thing out of your head for the moment babe.
    Life is tough. There are no quick fixes, and that includes anti-depressants.

You write very lucidly. You're intelligent. Just keep making good choices, try to think positive. Lean in the direction you want to go and you will get there. Give it time, TALK about your feelings and accept that things aren't designed to be easy.
    Make that appointment with a doctor if you wish. But if you really need anti-depressents you will also need alot more support than you get from a little pill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭estar

- dealing with feelings on your own- isolation
    - under-performing due to self medicating with drinking

there is no price you can put on your mental health and self awareness

generally we are highly educated in this country - but none of us are educated in how to know ourselves and take care of our mental health,
    how to achieve healthy communication with others - like family.

either we are lucky in having a family that educates people in it
    about these matters, or we pick things up through trial and error

open up to your family and get them to find your treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

You're not alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

OP, we're all just randomers on the internet throwing text at a screen - if you continue to wonder 'am i depressed?' go to your GP. Go to a completely new GP if you want to - if you're going private (ie paying the 50ish euro) you can choose which GP practice you go to.

Tell the doctor what you've described here.

If the doctor prescribes drugs, the cost can vary depending on how long the drug is on the market (eg, if there are generic versions of the same drug), dosage, etc. The ins and outs of medication (esp for teenagers) can be debated until the cows come home - but, really, it is a decision that you should trust a doctor with, and discuss with them.

And, parents usually react a lot better than we imagine, if you don't feel comfortable talking to them before you go see a doc, then maybe involve them afterwords. If the doctor advises a treatment (drugs, counselling, a few follow up appointments with the GP, etc) there will less stress for you if your parents are on side and will pay for it. Also, if they have health insurance it may meet part of the costs, and certain medical receipts can be claimed against income tax. And, they're your parents - like 99.99999% of parents they want what's best for their children.

Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Mulan

Please talk to your folks.

Ok, you might think they wont understand, but I'm sure the'll care.
    Don't underestimate the love of a parent.
    Go into them now and tell them.

Good luck

I am a little drunk (as usual) but I feel compelled to throw my story into the mix.

I am in my 30's now. I have dealt privately with your situation since a very similar age. To be honest if I wanted to sum up how I have felt for years I could cut and paste your post and change very little.

I have spent the last decade+ pretending to be ok. Trying to fit in to society, act like a normal person and make my parents proud. Inside I am empty. I can't relate to people properly, all I have is a void that sucks my feelings in and leaves me like a shell.

I don't sleep well, I self medicate with drink, I have drifted apart from friends because I can't pretend anymore. Basically I have ended up as a loner who only keeps going because of my family.

So here's the thing. I had a choice recently to pack it in (you know what I mean) or finally come clean to my parents and family. I somehow ended up in tears with my mother one drunken night because I knew I couldn't hurt them like that despite years of thinking about it.

Here I am now, just the same but I have opened up to those who love me and have finally sought help. I have no idea where I am going from here or if I will ever get better but for once I am not alone. When your loved ones know whats going on in your head, they have a chance to understand you. To support you. To see you.

I implore you to not hide what you are going through for the next 15 years like me. Get it in the open and forget about money or stigma or whatever.

Ask for help from those you love. If they love you they will understand, more than you can imagine.

All this from a suicidal loner hey. Family counts for a lot if I can come out with this 3 weeks after admitting to them I need help.

Good luck.

I think about things way too much. I'm a worrier, I'm pessimistic. I don't see the point in me living...in life in general. I don't see myself in college, or in a job that I like. I don't want to go to college but I'm going to anyway (parents etc.) and that makes me feel even worse...that I'm wasting money going to college when someone else would benefit from it. Actually, I'm just a waste of space in general. Think about all the money spent on me, as a baby, growing up, school, health, christmas, pocket money etc. - all this when I don't even want to live. How selfish is that? And there's millions of people who would like to take my place...children in places like Africa, Vietnam, China or even just homeless people in Dublin. That, for example, is something I thought about in much more detail one day. I think about things way too much. It just gets me really down.

Another example, is TV. I'm addicted to it. I watch Lost, 24, Desperate Housewives, Prison Break, CSI, Criminal Minds, Law and Order, Greys Anatomy, ER, Scrubs, The Simpsons, Futurama, Malcom in the Middle etc. etc. I'm listing all these because I watch them regularly. I wish so much that I could be a character in one of those shows...and lead a more exciting life. I get bored and tired easily so these shows allow me to relax and get more calm and daydream about being somebody..instead of a nobody. To think I would rather be Kate from Lost...someone stranded on an island without food, with polar bears, a weird monster and the others! I would rather be her than me. Granted, in the show, she is good looking and with Jack/Sawyer but I would actually prefer her situation to me. Why? Excitement I guess..

So I, personally, think I'm depressed. From those examples would you agree? I want to be sure...

And now I get the picture. If we can get to the bottom of this, medication is really a sub-issue.

To be fair, thats thinking about the issue very deeply and Ive rarely seen that in a person. Its troubling to think you're a waste of space - cos your not - you care too much from what I see in your post. The true selfish space waster types don't spend time thinking about the less fortunate and they're constantly in a case of the poor-me's. You, are not.

So you're not happy doing the please mommy and daddy thing by going to college and getting a doctorate in something (oh I see this soo often) - have you given any thought to volunteer work?

Why not go down to Africa and such places and go help out? Why not (if it tickles you so) get a skill, and take it with you, and get it benefiting whom you see fit. People do it all the time. Doctors and Samaritans go down in droves to places like Rwanda - they work for nothing except knowing they are doing good.

You ask for a more exciting life - something like that may be just what you need. A grand adventure doing things for the greater good.

The money spent raising you has not gone to waste: love and care has clearly gone into you, and your upbringing has allowed you to see beyond yourself in a much less selfless way than would ever have been possible if the world left you to rot. Its not to late to realize that gift you've been given.

Give it some thought. Depression is only an indication of a bigger issue and medication may only suppress it for a while. From what I see I imagine you could go and be treated of your depression but in 2 years when youre a bit of the way through college: This is still going to nip at you and keep bringing you down. Deal with it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I just never thought of depression as an illness. I always thought of it as an attention seeking thing
    It can be. I'm very confused as to why "attention seeking" is seen as somehow not serious, people who are attention-seeking are attention-seeking for a reason; e.g. attention-seeking because they're depressed.

Depression can also be attention-avoiding though, where people hide themselves away so that they don't have to admit to it. Or it can be neither.
    and I always thought that it was a mental thing.
    It is. Again though, I don't see how that makes it not an illness.
    Anyway, now that I've 'accepted' it I know I should get help. I don't really want to...I mean, especially therapy because I'm not one for talking about my feelings (surprisingly - I'm a girl!). But maybe anti-depressants would help?
    It's possible anti-depressants would help. It's possible they won't. It's possible they won't long-term but would give you the mental energy to go on to deal with them.

One thing to consider at this point though is the difference between life sometimes sucking because it's hard, and life sometimes sucking because you're depressed.

That life sometimes sucks because it's hard affects us all - sometimes we're lucky and we have things easy, sometimes we're unlucky and we have bad **** go down, and sometimes in between we have bad **** go down but we can deal with it with a bit of hard work.

That life sometimes sucks because your depressed sits as another layer on top of that, it makes you unable to enjoy what is easy, unable to withstand what is hard, and unable to do the hard work that we might need.

If you get yourself to the point where you are coping (whether due to pills or something else) then you're still quite likely going to have some hard work to do to get yourself somewhere where you aren't still having the same issues lurking underneath.

Maybe you'll be lucky and after a period of medication you'll have no such trouble again, maybe you'll be unlucky and always have such issues no matter how much you work on it, but most likely you'll have some work to do. Not doing that work now when you have neither the mental energy to do it nor the perspective to see what you can do is understandable; not doing it if you get a chance is buying yourself serious trouble on the instalment plan.

So. Ignore this right now, but when you're in a slightly better place then
    So what, you're not one for talking about your troubles. If you want easy go and watch a bugs-bunny cartoon, but don't expect it to help. If you want better, then do some work
    Anyone who says you definitely are or are not from a post on a Internet bulletin board can be safely added to your ignore list. They are probably never going to write anything worth reading in their lives.

There's plenty in what you write that sounds like it, but "sounds like it" is a million miles away from a professional diagnosis following a consultation.
    If you're parents are likely to directly mock you (because they often do so), physically assault you (because they often do so), claim you're trying to turn things around so that you can victimise the family (because they often do so) or something like that (I could go on, but you get the idea) then no, talking to them won't help.

If you find the idea embarrassing, well screw that. There's a lot of things worse in life than being embarrassed, being depressed is one.

You might find that if you go to the doctor first and are diagnosed that you can talk to them then - that it's less embarrassing to say "I've been diagnosed as depressed" than "I think I might be depressed, but I'm not sure" - less easy for them to dismiss if nothing else.
    As for alcohol, somebody said you can't drink while taking medication. Does that mean just at the time you took it, or permanantly?!
    While you are on them, for most of them.

Still though, drinking alcohol while you're depressed is like trying to put out a fire by pouring petrol on it, so if you are depressed you should avoid alcohol anyway.

It's also a good idea to avoid any practices you find addictive, or which are known to be habit forming in other people - recreational drugs, gambling and television in particular.

Even if you aren't depressed but are just "in a bit of a funk" avoiding recreational drugs, gambling and especially television (which is practically designed to lock your brain into an unenergised pattern of thought) is hardly a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 rebelpixie

talk to your family, go to the doctor and if you are depressed, I would recommend therapy. My mother suffers from depression and it would have done her some good to get therapy. the negative opinions of depression have changed somewhat and there's more help out there and more compassionate doctors and better treatments. If possible, try and find a doctor who knows something about depression. you may not have much choice with the medical card though. you would be surprised a lot of doctors know very little-in fairness, they can't know everything. my mum's doctor had her on 2 anti-depressants: she went off the scale altogether, which led to a few dangerous situations.

I hope your parents would rather help you get better with therapy than put you through the stress of college, especially if you are not in the right frame of mind for it. I agree with what other posters have said about having some direction in life- I felt a bit depressed a few years ago when I was unsure about what I wanted to do and now I am very happy with my career, which has carried over to life in general.

in fairness, I wouldn't be too worried about not being able to drink-which would you rather-be depressed and drinking or be as happy as possible and sober? as far as I know, alcohol would only worsen your depression (if that is the case). agree with the last poster about avoiding addictive things like drugs/gambling. have you heard of st.john's wort? it's a herbal remedy for depression. obviously check with the doctor first.

as for the cost of anti-depressants, 90 euro a month wouldn't be too bad, 22.50 a week,cut back on non-essentials. as I say to my mother: how bad if a few tablets a day help her to get up and go about her day, she deserves to have a life and not suffer like she has. you do too. you could go to social welfare and see if you are entitled to a medical card/drug refund scheme, surely you would be as you are 16. and as you are under 18, wouldn't you need to tell your parents, legally like?

last thing, have you heard of light therapy? basically, you can buy a lamp/box that lights up at certain times, as tests have shown that sunlight helps some people with depression. they are expensive enough though. they are supposed to help people with sad (seasonal affective disorder). you could always re-decorate your room a nice bright shade, get bright blinds/curtains and lights and leave the curtains open at night so you get the light in the morning.

I didn't have a chance to read the whole thread, so I maybe repeating what others have said, but don't keep this to yourself. get some help. give yourself the chance to be happy, some people have to work harder than others to get it, it will be worth it in the end.
    best wishes
    rebelpixie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

The thing is, I don't deserve to be depressed. I go to a good school, I have good friends, a family that loves me (even though we never talk when we're upset or after big arguements - we just ignore each other), and I'm reasonably well off. I don't think I'm extremely clever but I think I could do well enough in the Leaving Cert if I could concentrate enough to study.

this part of your post made me the sadess. Hon, depression is an illness that anyone can get, whether your life is brilliant or not, same as any other illness. You're not choosing to feel this way. Of course not, no one would choose to feel like this, so dont feel you cant be depressed because your life is too good. Please, because thats not what this is. Remember that, it will keep you strong.

Ive heard depression likened to a parasite taking over your head, fighting you for your own head space. Its a horrible place to be, so dont beat yourself up for feeling like this. Ya gotta fight that parasite out of your head and chuck him out the window!

maybe they might, maybe they might not, thats for you and a doctor to decide.

But talking or therapy can help hugely. Never underestimate the power of talking. I know its hard to imagine opening up like that, but dont rule it out completely either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

rebelpixie wrote: »
    have you heard of st.john's wort? it's a herbal remedy for depression. obviously check with the doctor first.
    Quoted to emphasise the second part of that. St. John's Wort is an anti-depressant that happens to be made out of herbs.

Being herbal does not make something safer (heroin, belladonna, aconite, meadow saffron and hemlock are all herbal too, but hardly over-the-counter, safe, remedies).

While quite a few people in circles I move in objected to St. John's Wort being classified as a class-C drug, I have to say it makes little sense to self-medicate using it; if you self-medicate physical symptoms you are using your mind to monitor whether you need more, less, to try something else, or to give up on self-treatment and seek medical advice, but if you self-medicate mental symptoms you're taking something that affects how you judge the success of self-medicating so if it causes more problems than it solves it could encourage you towards a course of treatment that makes it even worse.

Simply put, you can't medicate your own brain.

Hi OP,

I havent read all the replies to your post, so I may be repeating some good advice you have already got; regular posters on this site are generally very helpful and I hope they have helped.

I felt I needed to write you a few words as someone who has lived with depression (bipolar)since around your age - I am now 34. Dont think 'oh my god, Im stuck like this for the next 18 years'! When I was 16, depression was a taboo and even doctors had the 'pull you socks up' attitude - thankfully now it is (mostly) different, and particularly in Ireland Mental Health Services have come on leaps and bounds.

It is however important to gain as much insight into your depression as possible. Doctors/psychiatrists/psychologists can only go on what you tell them - and I wasted many years by either putting on a face (as you say you can do) and taking the 'im grand' attitude, or rambling about my feelings with no apparent direction (I am not saying you are doing this!)

Firstly, there are many types of depression. It can be caused by psychological influences (troubled childhood, traumatic past events such as accidents, bereavements etc), or chemical (clinical) issues, which is simply an imbalance of chemicals in the brain. Or both.

Secondly, I would be wary of any doctor who prescribes you antidepressants straight away. There are many, which affect the brain in a multitude of different ways, and I fail to see how any GP can know which one is right for you after one meeting.

The best advice I can give at this early stage is:

- Abstinence from Alcohol. If your anything like me that will be very hard, 'cos I know when your in a black place the first thing that pops in there is 'I need a drink'. But it really is a dirty drug, that has a huge effect on the brain. If you have clinical depression, your brain is unwell, so you dont want to make it more so - thats like someone with lung disease having a ciggy!
    - Keep a diary. Write down every day how your feeling, what your thoughts are (good and bad), what has affected you in both good and bad ways, and 'score' each day. So a 10 day is very happy, ecstatic even, and a 1 day is the blackest place. This will really help a psychiatrist to help you.
    - Ask to be referred. If you think you have a problem with depression, a GP cant help you all the way - this is not a criticism of GPs, its just theyre only human and not specialists. But many are reluctant to refer unless pushed. I am from England myself, and have lived in many countries, but I can say from my experience the public mental health system in Ireland is the best I have come across.

And to answer your questions:

- I cant say if your clinically depressed, I am not qualified to do so. However if you are extremely sad for no apparent reason, something is amiss.
    - How long will it take? Again, cant say. Could be a month, could be years. What I would say there is 'as long as it takes'.

I hope you find the help you are looking for - you have youth on your side and are courageous enough to admit you may have a problem - this is the hardest step and you have already taken it. Good luck with your leaving cert - I am sure you will do just fine.

Is there a Teen Counselling service in your area? you can google them. Plus, if your GP refers you to the psychiatric services, your medication is free of charge; the GP can also refer you to your local HSE psychological service which is free of charge.

Hey guys thanks for all your replies. I think I'm gonna wait a while before I go to the GP. Ya never know my life might turn around and I won't need to...but if I do need to I'll be a bit older, and it won't be as embarrassing that I'm depressed. Hey, thats sort of a positive thing I just said, I'm getting better already...

Nah but seriously, I think that if I keep busy and I stay around lots of people, it's easier to pretend you're ok, and even sometimes you forget. It's just very difficult to get motivated to do anything. But some days are worse than others. As soon as I'm alone though it's terrible..I know that alcohol is a depressant but I honestly feel much better when I'm drinking...and it's also a social thing so it can be good for me.

I realise maybe it's because of my age, but I really do think that I'm clinically depressed...maybe it's a very mild case but I still think that depression is a really serious condition, where as earlier I would dismiss it as attention-seeking rather than an actual illness.

Anyway, it's not like I would kill myself because, although I have suicidal thoughts all the time, I would never do that to my family/friends and let's face it, I'm a coward! Wouldn't have the guts..

Wow this started off as a positive post. Anyway, sorry for wasting all of your time,

Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭carter001

Anyway, it's not like I would kill myself because, although I have suicidal thoughts all the time, I would never do that to my family/friends and let's face it, I'm a coward! Wouldn't have the guts..

Take care

Putting it off is the worst possible thing you can do.I was around your age when my depression kicked in(I'm 27 now)and I did the same thing,kept putting it off,and now 11 years later I regret not treating it earlier.

And even what I quoted above is reason enough to go see a GP ASAP,just because you have what I'm assuming are passive suicidal thoughts,they are still suicidal which is very serious.
    I know that alcohol is a depressant but I honestly feel much better when I'm drinking

Yes but you aren't getting to the root of your depression or whatever the problem is and you may develope a dependency on alcohol later in life or when times are stressful.

Honestly the best advice I can give you is mention it to your parents,you have nothing to be embarrassed about,you haven't committed any crimes,you didn't take drugs nor are you pregnant.They won't kick you out of the house or lecture you,they'll support you which is what you need right now.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

I'm generally a pessimistic person but even still I've been trying to accept that many people 'feel depressed' (not necessarily are depressed) at my age. But I honestly can't think that people in my year, my friends, feel this way. I know that most students get stressed out about the LC, college etc. and that is true of me aswell but even without that I'm still depressed. A few examples:

This sounds like a book I read.......

Absolutely go do some charity work, but put the anti deppressants on hold. Speak to a GP or even the Samaritans.

Don't want to sound patronising but you're a teenager and these things are par for the course. I have one or two friends whose lives were ruined by unnecessary medication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Your a young girl with your whole live ahead of you. You should be living it to the max. Try enjoy life, don't let it get you down and keep positive. In my opinion we could all be depressed if we let ourselves. It may even be just your hormones making you feel like sh*t. Go to the doctor and maybe see someone regularly to try help you out.
    You have so much going for you and plus you have a loving family. You are very fortunate. There's people who would kill to be or have a live and kicking, healthy 16 year old. Don't take it all for granted.

Your a young girl with your whole live ahead of you. You should be living it to the max. Try enjoy life, don't let it get you down and keep positive. In my opinion we could all be depressed if we let ourselves. It may even be just your hormones making you feel like sh*t. Go to the doctor and maybe see someone regularly to try help you out.
    I know I really try hard to be happy and sometimes it works. I mean, when I'm around lots of people on a night out I'm not in the corner feeling sorry for myself. I put on a brave face and get on with it.

That's the only reason I wonder whether I actually am depressed or not, because I feel like crap anytime I'm alone and a lot of the time that I'm around people too.

You have so much going for you and plus you have a loving family. You are very fortunate. There's people who would kill to be or have a live and kicking, healthy 16 year old. Don't take it all for granted.

As I've said earlier, this gets me down even more. The fact that millions of kids would gladly take my place just depresses me even more. I've got so much and as much as I appreciate it, I just get frustrated, and depressed, and alone. And one of the things that's keeping me from killing myself is the fact that I'm so fortunate to actually have a roof over my head and a family. All this money and time wasted on me can't be for nothing. I have to make something of myself, but I dunno how much longer I can take of this mess..

And everyone puts it down to being a teenager but I can't imagine every normal teenager feeling the way I do. That's not to say I'm the only one who's depressed cos I'm not. And I know the world doesn't revolve around me..

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭,mnb

Go to a Doctor and counsellor. Get medical advice. Get you parents to help with the money...any parent would be more than happy to do this and Im sure yours will too. When you are depressed you may feel in some way you are not worth it or you dont want to impose an additional financial burden on your parents. But if thats what you need and it helps you out of this slump, you will soon see that the money is well spent and will reap serious dividends.

Its the Doctors diagnosis as to whether anti deprs are needed. Thats a medical issue which the boarders should not really be answering. Maybe counselling will do the trick. You should be able to pick up a free counsellor by contacting IACP - www.irish-counselling.ie . But I think the best counsellors are in fact your parents, siblings, good friend, cause they know you best and you can be sure that they will want to help and will be very intuitive with you. So talk to your parents or someone close to you in confidence. You will feel a load lifted off your mind. And it may even bring you closer which is a bonus. If I had a daughter and she came to me with this at your young age I would be so proud of her of being as mature as you are and thrilled that she sought my help.

• Advertisement

when i had depression (full on strength too sadly, self harm, couldnt eat, couldnt stop sleeping then not, numb to all pleasure, nearly killed myself) it was circumstancial lead. i could pin point why i had it. thankfully i've learnt to cope now and even though things havnt changed much, i have in my attitude to my life. i'm volunteering aboard this summer and here in ireland and seeing how life is a gift and its up to me to make the most of it.

when i began to fall into depression, it was gradually, i didnt tell anyone. i felt ashamed to be feeling sorry for myself when others had a worse life. even though my home life was violent, scary, nerve destroying; i had money and getting scholarships for my grades so i felt i was lucky and a selfish to be sad. even when i was ill i refused to believe the gp when she said i was clinically depressed or the specialist for that matter. then one night, after my breakdown, it all sank in and i allowed myself to admit what i was feeling was justificable. i had no shame. i owned my feelings. it took time and patience. drugs made me feel terrible especially one night when i had a bad reaction. i gave it time and learnt coping skills and i had good friends there for me for the first time in my life.

now i again feel like im lucky and this time its true. depression is the common cold of mental illness. its nothing to be ashamed of but it isnt something to claim at the end of a bad week either. maybe OP you'll be fine after you're teens and this is just a teen phase. i know i was just like you as a teen, a worrier, a over thinker, a dreamer and hated being alone. looking back it was the start of it prehaps who knows?
    a tip OP; dont feel you need to put on a brave face. i did and it wasnt until i had a nervous breakdown i could admit it and be myself to others. go to a doctor, explain how hard it is for you to see him/her as you're not sure whats wrong but you wanted help. any doctor worth his money will be gentle and help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

In my own experiences I've learned that going to parents is the most difficult thing to do. I have a close relationship with my brother and we talk about everything. It maybe easier to go to a sibling, if you have one, or a close friend who you know will want to do anything they can to help, and trust me you could count on your friends more than you think.

Try to stay positive during the day, ignore everyone else, what you preceve they think and do your thing. If things don't get any better go to a GP and he will refer you. Try not to go on meds because they are a big shock to your system, physically more than anything else.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 meremortal

Hello, I think everyone has given you great advice here and I really hope you can take some of it on board, I'm 25 and have a sister in 5th year, and to be honest - I dont think it sounds like you are depressed, I think it sounds like you are battling with the emotions that alot of people go through at some stage, especially girls in their teens and early twenties.

I studied psychology and do research on depression and people with depression and there are different forms of depression. Anti depressants are only really beneficial when the depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and from what you are describing- this doesnt sound like you.

My sister goes through her ups and downs, and I have been worried that she may suffer from depression - her lows are low, her highs are high, but fortunatley the highs outweigh the lows, and when shes low I try to get her to think of the highs.

There are also loads of places you can turn to that deal directly with this:
    Try:
    www.teenline.ie ,
    www.reachout.com.au , specifically http://www.reachout.com.au/screamdream.asp

you can type in all your worries and insecurities and no one will ever read them or see them, just a great place to vent!!

I think you have made a big step by reaching out and asking for help and advice, this is a really brave and big step so well done!!! If you ever want to chat, PM me and I'll be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Advertisement