Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Renewing a British passport from Ireland

• 26-06-2013 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone,
    Hoping somebody can help me, my partner who is British is trying to renew his passport and we're a bit confused about the forms. He went into the embassy today but apparently they don't deal with passports there anymore, your only option is to download a form and post it off.
    So we were just wondering in section 2 of form C1 it says if you were born in the UK after December 31st 1982 you need to fill out your parents details such as name date of and place of birth.
    Does anybody know if you still need to complete this section of the form if you're only renewing your passport?

If anybody here has previously completed this form and has any advice I'd really appreciate it

Thanks in advance
    JD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

jessiedan wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Hoping somebody can help me, my partner who is British is trying to renew his passport and we're a bit confused about the forms. He went into the embassy today but apparently they don't deal with passports there anymore, your only option is to download a form and post it off.
    So we were just wondering in section 2 of form C1 it says if you were born in the UK after December 31st 1982 you need to fill out your parents details such as name date of and place of birth.
    Does anybody know if you still need to complete this section of the form if you're only renewing your passport?

If anybody here has previously completed this form and has any advice I'd really appreciate it

Thanks in advance
    JD

have you downloaded the information document as well? that usually explains in detail what you need to do for each question.

It is mad though, I took my daughters there a few weeks ago and they wouldn't even let me leave it, you have to post it in. It took about three weeks to get it back and it ain't flippin cheap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Also need to renew my one ,but keep putting off because fo the price very expensive, would it be easier trying for a irish one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jessiedan

Fratton Fred - I downloaded the notes but to be honest it didn't say anything about renewing a passport it seems to be all based on getting a first time passport.
    I tried to call the embassy as I thought they might know from dealing with passports previously even though they don't do it now but I was passed to 3 people who all told me they don't deal with it & I had to call a premium rate number.
    It just seems silly that there is nowhere that you can go abnd actually speak to somebody who could help with the form.

Scoop 64 - I don't know if it'll be any easier but we did look into getting an Irish passport and it's actually 950 euro to get an Irish passport :eek:
    I knew it would be more expensive but didn't think it would be that much

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭UMMMM

I hold a british passport through the embassy and yes you do need to fill that part out when renewing your passport/ I did when renewing mine the last time born 1983. Remember also you need a "proffesional" who is not related the sign the photos.

UMMMM wrote: »
    I hold a british passport through the embassy and yes you do need to fill that part out when renewing your passport/ I did when renewing mine the last time born 1983. Remember also you need a "proffesional" who is not related the sign the photos.

Thanks for that ummmm probably just best to fill everything in as if it's the first time then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Fratton Fred - I downloaded the notes but to be honest it didn't say anything about renewing a passport it seems to be all based on getting a first time passport.
    I tried to call the embassy as I thought they might know from dealing with passports previously even though they don't do it now but I was passed to 3 people who all told me they don't deal with it & I had to call a premium rate number.
    It just seems silly that there is nowhere that you can go abnd actually speak to somebody who could help with the form.

Scoop 64 - I don't know if it'll be any easier but we did look into getting an Irish passport and it's actually 950 euro to get an Irish passport :eek:

The €950 is only where you are being granted citizenship - if you were born in Northern Ireland you will by birth be entitled to an Irish Passport, if you were born in the rest of the United Kingdom and are entitled through the birthplace of your parents or grandparents being Ireland then again the normal costs apply. If you don't qualify under those circumstances then you have to go through the citizenship qualification which costs €950.

The €950 is only where you are being granted citizenship - if you were born in Northern Ireland you will by birth be entitled to an Irish Passport, if you were born in the rest of the United Kingdom and are entitled through the birthplace of your parents or grandparents being Ireland then again the normal costs apply. If you don't qualify under those circumstances then you have to go through the citizenship qualification which costs €950.

Thanks so much for that reply I'll get him to look into that

I kept a pdf of the application so I had a look. I filled it in, I think on the basis that too much info was better than not enough.

It's a horrible form.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 zoeenya

Hey! I need to renew mine, i have a british one and its outta date, wanna try get over to london before i have to head back to college, where do i download the forms??? Help seriously appreciated because i'm really confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barnabybear

Remember also you need a "proffesional" who is not related the sign the photos.
    You don't normally need a countersignature when renewing a British passport.

"If you are renewing your passport and your appearance has not significantly changed since your
    last passport you will not normally need to get your form countersigned.
    " -- Form C1 notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Renew a British passport!

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭UMMMM

You don't normally need a countersignature when renewing a British passport.

Section 9 of the application C1 is a countersignature and has a place to put previous passport number. So I did as did my family and the applications were processed might have been unnecessary but better safe than sorry on these things.

zoeenya wrote: »
    Hey! I need to renew mine, i have a british one and its outta date, wanna try get over to london before i have to head back to college, where do i download the forms??? Help seriously appreciated because i'm really confused.

If you are a British or Irish Citizen then unless you're travelling with Ryanair you don't need a passport - just have some other ID with you.

If you are a British or Irish Citizen then unless you're travelling with Ryanair you don't need a passport - just have some other ID with you.
    I guess that zoeenya is heading for London because it's much cheaper to renew a British passport in the UK (£72.50+) than in Ireland (€182)?

Oh, didnt' pick up on that, the fact that s/he would have an Irish address would that not mean they'd be caught with the higher fee anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭haveabadday

Hello trying to post new thread about renewing a Britsh passport.. but cant find it!!! so need to ask.. is it possible to go over on Ferry to England.. and renew my passport in UK??? and if so do I have to travel to London?? also.. is it possible for my daughter to renew my passport as she lives in UK... if I sent her the completed form?? as the last person said.. the cost in Ireland is bloody ridiculous!! €182... and why do I have to use a Courier.. dont Anpost have a cheaper way?? any advice please. thanks.

Hello trying to post new thread about renewing a Britsh passport.. but cant find it!!! so need to ask.. is it possible to go over on Ferry to England.. and renew my passport in UK??? and if so do I have to travel to London?? also.. is it possible for my daughter to renew my passport as she lives in UK... if I sent her the completed form?? as the last person said.. the cost in Ireland is bloody ridiculous!! €182... and why do I have to use a Courier.. dont Anpost have a cheaper way?? any advice please. thanks.
    I think you can do just that: send your daughter the completed form, photos, and old passport (if you're not in a big hurry). You just need to write a UK address on the form, for the passport to be delivered to, in order to avoid the hefty fee.
    If you're in a hurry, make an appointment to visit the passport office in Belfast, still using your daughter's UK address!

Do you need to get photos signed on back,would this need be done at a garda station or uk police station?, thinking of going down same route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

In theory you have to be in the UK to renew your passport in the UK, here is the link to the relevant webpage with phone numbers

You can renew in any of the relevant centres , Liverpool, Durham, Peterborough etc., your daughter can make the appointment for you

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Do you need to get photos signed on back,would this need be done at a garda station or uk police station?, thinking of going down same route.
    This is different from renewing an Irish passport: you don't normally need a signature when renewing a British passport.

Get your application form and 1 of your photos signed by someone else to prove your identity if either:
    • you can’t be recognised from the photo in your existing passport
    • you’re replacing a damaged passport

• Advertisement

In theory you have to be in the UK to renew your passport in the UK, here is the link to the relevant webpage with phone numbers

You can renew in any of the relevant centres , Liverpool, Durham, Peterborough etc., your daughter can make the appointment for you

I last did mine using the post office and had it sent to my parents address. I was in the UK at the time, for two days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I last did mine using the post office and had it sent to my parents address. I was in the UK at the time, for two days!

I have about two people a month doing the one day service, flying in for the day from Saudi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Your statement is misleading. The assumption behind getting a passport of any country is that you have citizenship of that country and have the right to possess its passport. It costs 80 Euro plus 9 Euro postage to apply for an Irish passport using the Express service. This is cheaper than the British passport application from Ireland by the looks of it.

Thanks to schemingbohemia for clarifying for NI and British nationals.

If outside of those cases you're entited to apply for Irish citizenship, it costs 950 Euro to get your naturalisation certificate. When you have that certificate you have the option to apply for the Irish passport if you wish.
    The process of application for Irish citizenship takes over 2 years (have heard it's reduced recently though), so I wouldn't be relying on that as a way to get a passport if you already have another European citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sandrine thorpe

hi my husband needs to renew his british passport..we found out how expensive it is in ireland..extorsion..(182 euro) it cost me only 86euro to renew my french passport in ireland..why does it cost so much to do an british passport? ...is it that they want to catch up on the polltax or something?
    When the queen came to Cork we lost money because my husband couldn't go to work as the roads were all blocked..maybe she should make up the money!!!
    I said to my husband he should change his nationality so we don't have to go through that again..
    is it possible to renew it in London, can it be done in one day?it would be nearly cheaper to have a flight to London to get it done..but it's impossible to go through embassy to get info..i was told you would have to reside in england to renew it there..is that true??
    does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Maverick.ie

Where is everyone getting e182 from, it seems to be e125 for the standard 32 page passport including the courier charge.

Where is everyone getting e182 from, it seems to be e125 for the standard 32 page passport including the courier charge.

i thought it was €180 from Ireland too, have to have another read.

hi my husband needs to renew his british passport..we found out how expensive it is in ireland..extorsion..(182 euro) it cost me only 86euro to renew my french passport in ireland..why does it cost so much to do an british passport? ...is it that they want to catch up on the polltax or something?
    When the queen came to Cork we lost money because my husband couldn't go to work as the roads were all blocked..maybe she should make up the money!!!
    I said to my husband he should change his nationality so we don't have to go through that again..
    is it possible to renew it in London, can it be done in one day?it would be nearly cheaper to have a flight to London to get it done..but it's impossible to go through embassy to get info..i was told you would have to reside in england to renew it there..is that true??
    does anyone know?

If you have an address in the UK, you can get your application completed at a post office and the new passport will be posted to you. They will only post to a UK address though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement