Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus tickets.

• 04-04-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

Guys trying to make sense of what tickets are still available as paper tickets

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/

List includes 5 day rambler
    10 Journey travel 90
    30 Day Rambler
    Travelwide Adult Monthly
    Travelwide Adult Annual

With a similar type of offerings on the student tickets. Trying to make sense of this is there no more paper ticket. Went to get me normal 5 day student travel ticket the other day, but now it is only available on leap. As my student card expired the end of last year I did not try to load anyting onto it. Money is tight this week so a one day adult ticket would have been ideal tbh. I think they used to cost.Does anyone know if it is possible to load credit onto an expired card. Rarely use the buses as it is. Looking at taking 4 buses on saturday at €2.35 each so if I have to pay for them individually it will cost me almost €10, plus I will need to have exact change for each fare.
    How long will it be before they completly erradicate the paper tickets. :(:(
    Also it will cost me €15 if I want to get a new student travel card. A normal leap card would cost me €10 and come preloaded with €5. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Your student paper tickets wouldn't be valid without a valid student card anyway. So either way if you have no valid student ID you wouldn't be entitled to student tickets, so picture yourself with no leapcard.

You could always get a couple of travel 90 single journeys if some of those 4 trips are within 90 minutes. They're 2.90 each which is reeeally good value since a cash single can be 3.05! They are hard to find, you can definitely buy them in spar at the airport and dublin Bus HQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Your student paper tickets wouldn't be valid without a valid student card anyway. So either way if you have no valid student ID you wouldn't be entitled to student tickets, so picture yourself with no leapcard.

You could always get a couple of travel 90 single journeys if some of those 4 trips are within 90 minutes. They're 2.90 each which is reeeally good value since a cash single can be 3.05! They are hard to find, you can definitely buy them in spar at the airport and dublin Bus HQ

Only place I have ever seen is at the airport. Not much use as I would need to pay full fare on 2 buses to get there and add over an hour to my day.
    Often walk to the city. When I take the bus. It is 3 stages that I travel. On a leap card that would cost me €1.40 on a leap card according to the dublin bus calculator. If I was to make a return journey, it would only be €2.80 vs €4.00 per day it currently cost me on a 5 day student rambler.
    Can a student rambler only be used on a day rate or can I use it for cash value too. The student rambler does not seem to offer me any additional benefit over a normal rambler. Am I missing something. I realise that not everyone is within 3 stages of the city and for them the student ticket might make sense over an adult ticket.

Not only that but the fee on the normal leap card at €5 is refundable. €15 fee on the student card is non-refundable (€12 + €3 photo capture).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Can a student rambler only be used on a day rate or can I use it for cash value too. .

You may use your student leap card as a normal leap card on a bus; just present it to the driver when boarding and ask for your requisite fare. Should you hit it then the daily cap will apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You may use your student leap card as a normal leap card on a bus; just present it to the driver when boarding and ask for your requisite fare. Should you hit it then the daily cap will apply.

But not on an expired student card as the OP has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's the best thing they have ever come up with as the amount of adults with child tickets and student tickets which they should not be using.

The Leap cards really need to be tag on tag off though as this is also been abused where minimum fare is selected but then travel all the route.

OP really don't understand your attitude towards the changes as you are able to get a good discount with the standard adult leap and even better dicount with the student leap.

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    But not on an expired student card as the OP has.

The student card concessions won't apply if the student card term has lapsed but the card itself may still be loaded with credit and used as normal.

It's the best thing they have ever come up with as the amount of adults with child tickets and student tickets which they should not be using.

The Leap cards really need to be tag on tag off though as this is also been abused where minimum fare is selected but then travel all the route.

OP really don't understand your attitude towards the changes as you are able to get a good discount with the standard adult leap and even better dicount with the student leap.

Have you failed to read my post or what. There is no additional discount for the journeys I would make as a student. 3 stage fare on an adult leap card is €1.45. The cost of an adult leap card is refundable. There is discount on the adult tickets yes. I was specifically worrried about the case I was dealing with yesterday. If I had to take multiple buses everyday or take a long bus journey then the student ticket would offer additional discounts. This is not the case for me. I don't use the bus for to get to school in any case whatsoever. I occasional travel to the city by bus. There is still plenty at fault with the leap card in anycase. As others have mentioned "tag on, tag off" I believe people have to do this when travelling by train anyway. Should be used on bus journeys too. All the necessary interaction with bus drivers in adding to journey times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The student card concessions won't apply if the student card term has lapsed but the card itself may still be loaded with credit and used as normal.

I'm not sure that's the case.

They need to transfer the balance on expired cards before March 31st, after which it's non-refundable.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's the case.

Yes it is the case. Your concessionary travel pass entitlement is loaded onto your leap card, which may be personalised into an ID card, such as child or student cards. You may top up your personalised card for use on other modes of transport which are not covered by your travel pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Have you failed to read my post or what. There is no additional discount for the journeys I would make as a student. 3 stage fare on an adult leap card is €1.45. The cost of an adult leap card is refundable. There is discount on the adult tickets yes. I was specifically worrried about the case I was dealing with yesterday. If I had to take multiple buses everyday or take a long bus journey then the student ticket would offer additional discounts. This is not the case for me. I don't use the bus for to get to school in any case whatsoever. I occasional travel to the city by bus. There is still plenty at fault with the leap card in anycase. As others have mentioned "tag on, tag off" I believe people have to do this when travelling by train anyway. Should be used on bus journeys too. All the necessary interaction with bus drivers in adding to journey times.

Hi I did read your post.
    What I was trying to say is the weekly cap is less for the student leap and you get discounts off of certain shops and that also.

You can add student tickets and from what I have heard the Travel90 will eventually be added also but understand you are only going short distances.
    You are getting a good discount off the cash fare I understand it's the same for student as it is adult but still better then paying €1.80.

• Advertisement

Hi I did read your post.
    What I was trying to say is the weekly cap is less for the student leap and you get discounts off of certain shops and that also.

You can add student tickets and from what I have heard the Travel90 will eventually be added also but understand you are only going short distances.
    You are getting a good discount off the cash fare I understand it's the same for student as it is adult but still better then paying €1.80.

True I was just assessing if their was any reason for me to get a new student ticket. Doesn't seem worth it my case. I have student id from my school. Pretty sure that will get me most of the discounts on offer.

Advertisement