Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Fares

Options
  • 02-04-2014 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

The train I want is 9.99 online currently might it be a totally different price if I go to buy it at the station in the morning?

IR fares often seem a bit random to me.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It will almost certainly be more expensive, possibly a lot more expensive. Buy online is the thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,727 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, for 9.99, why didn't you just buy it when you were looking at it????

Trains and planes have same pricing approach. Online is cheaper. There are specials, grab 'em when you can. Last-minute is dearer.

Flights often seem random too, but you don't complain about those!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Online tickets are generally sold at a discount to the station price.

Station fares are at the link below.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/fares-info

Pick the relevant route, then see what letter applies to your combination of stations, and look for the appropriate fares which are listed further down the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

Thanks folks I booked online. Think I saved about 15 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dublin-limerick

If I am reading this right, buying at the station to go from Dublin to Limerick costs €52.20, the same ticket bought online is generally in the region of €9.99-€15.

A appreciate that online should be cheaper but those fares charged at the station are ridiculous to be honest. Not very fair to the tourists who would usually buy it at the station I imagine.

• Advertisement

The online fares are discounted fare offers, which vary depending upon how far in advance you buy it, but may cost the same as at the station at certain times.

The station fares are the regulated fares set by the NTA (formerly by the Department of Transport).

I think that you underestimate tourists' abilities to buy online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

lxflyer wrote: »
    The online fares are discounted fare offers, which vary depending upon how far in advance you buy it, but may cost the same as at the station at certain times.

The station fares are the regulated fares set by the NTA (formerly by the Department of Transport).

I think that you underestimate tourists' abilities to buy online.[/QUOTE]

1huge1 has a point, a lot of tourist want to visit Cork and Belfast for the day but when told of the price they end up in Howth or Malahide instead.

That generally only applies if you are making a journey that requires a transfer from Connolly to Heuston (e.g. Cork to Belfast, Waterford to Sligo, etc.).

Case in point, my friend from the Netherlands was over in Ireland, he was 24 at the time but never would of thought that the price difference between buying at the station would be so high versus paying online.

He was astonished when he paid €50 at the station, and not happy when we told him that if he had booked it online a day or two earlier could of got it for €10.

Personally, I've been to Germany many times, I usually just go to the train station and buy the ticket there and then, mostly because the price doesn't seem to differentiate that much from the online price.

While with Irish Rail, it is almost like they are penalising people with their station prices... €52 vs €9.99... come on. (or perhaps I misread your post and you are trying to say that Irish rail have no input with the station price and it is all the NRA?)

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote: »
    Case in point, my friend from the Netherlands was over in Ireland, he was 24 at the time but never would of thought that the price difference between buying at the station would be so high versus paying online.

He was astonished when he paid €50 at the station, and not happy when we told him that if he had booked it online a day or two earlier could of got it for €10.

Personally, I've been to Germany many times, I usually just go to the train station and buy the ticket there and then, mostly because the price doesn't seem to differentiate that much from the online price.

While with Irish Rail, it is almost like they are penalising people with their station prices... €52 vs €9.99... come on.

I think that you'll find that the €9.99 fares are generally only available in limited quantities on most trains and generally well in advance, the exception being on off-peak trains where there is low levels of demand, and it's an effort to stimulate usage on those in particular, or where there is a seat sale.

A friend booked a single ticket for a trip in Germany and saved almost €20 by booking online (and that was a day in advance).

Compare advance online and anytime (walkup) fares in Britain and you might re-appraise your view.

Most railway companies across Europe offer decent discounts if you book online in advance for intercity journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

While with Irish Rail, it is almost like they are penalising people with their station prices... €52 vs €9.99... come on. (or perhaps I misread your post and you are trying to say that Irish rail have no input with the station price and it is all the NRA?)

Your friend must be living in a bubble. Cheaper online advance fares are the norm all over Europe. The idea that tourists coming here aren't aware of online rail booking is ridiculous.

Fair enough, I know when to admit defeat

Thanks for the info everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

my friend from the Netherlands )
    Cheaper online advance fares are the norm all over Europe.
    The important point in 1huge1's post is "The Netherlands". Train travel within the Netherlands does not have a discount if you purchase in advance, the fare is the same bought online in advance, from a TVM or using your OV-Chipkaart. The only time it is more expensive is if you buy from a ticket desk in a station where they charge you an extra €0.50.

You can save money by buying limited release day tickets sold by Albert Heijn, Blokker, Hema, etc but these are a strange anomaly (they are day tickets that cover travel in the entire country but are only sold between certain dates and only valid between certain dates).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,727 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Or even £300 Chester-London. Been there, done that, will be insisting on advance booking or the bus in future!

Anyone done a walk-up to Dublin airport and asked to go to London lately? How'd you get on?

Oh - and since when has being fair to tourists ever been required? Tourists are cash-cows in most countries, and they know it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Here are the fares for reference

London to Manchester
    Advances from 12.50 single
    Anytime Single 161
    Anytime Return 321
    Off Peak Single 78.70
    Off Peak Return 79.70

London to Chester
    Advances from 12.50 single
    Anytime single 130
    Anytime Return 261
    Off Peak Single 78.70
    Off Peak Return 79.70

Although with a railcard, you can save 33% on all fares and railcards are available for any two people traveling together, disabled people, those aged 16-25, for families and for those over 60. In essence, everyone apart from the lone traveler between 26-60

Also if you are going to London or any major cities you can effectively get access to pretty much all the major attractions for half price if there are two of you just for traveling by train, even on the cheapest tickets

I agree the price of the service is more in the UK, but there are ways of reducing that, offers that give large discounts on leisure attractions, and a far higher frequency of services than you'll get here. I've been to other countries which have had cheaper tickets, but as for frequency of service they have always been far worse for everything but the biggest stations.

On the other hand I think Irish rail are heading in the right direction, I'd rate them as average these days, which is better than I'd rate them a couple of years ago, but there still is plenty of work to do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The prices I quoted are not fantasy, they come straight out of a booking engine

Anytime and off-peak prices are exactly the same online as they are at the station bought on the day, there is no difference or online discount applied to these as they are open ended tickets.

Advance, departure specific tickets can also be bought at the station for the same price that they are online, although obviously they need to be booked in advance and not on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

1huge1 has a point, a lot of tourist want to visit Cork and Belfast for the day but when told of the price they end up in Howth or Malahide instead.

Our European friends should be well trained on the best methods to buy train fares.

Was in Spain and it wasn't exactly planned but was charged 305 for two return tickets to Madrid on a Saturday. Not even a working week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Our European friends should be well trained on the best methods to buy train fares.

Was in Spain and it wasn't exactly planned but was charged 305 for two return tickets to Madrid on a Saturday. Not even a working week.

Maybe so but its those that chose to do it last minute that gets the shock.

Advertisement