Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sidekick sought for possible radio show.

Options
  • 17-04-2014 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

This summer I am thinking about putting in a proposal for a new 1 hour show on Dublin City Fm that focuses on the music of unreleased/amateur/hobbyist homegrown Irish electronic producers. (Either people from Ireland or based in Ireland).

Just seeing if anybody of a similar mindset would be enthusiastic about co-presenting the show?

My rough plan would be that the show would inspire bedroom producers to get cracking creatively and send us in their stuff through mixcloud or dropbox or a facebook page or whatever works best.... and we'll play live (and/or mix live, if we can) the best tunes we've been sent while discussing what we like about the tunes (I'll be shaky enough at this part). The show that goes out could also be prerecorded at times I suppose.

Maybe we could throw in some kind of weekly top 5 competition or something (with the prize for number 1 being...er, they get played on the show??? I doubt we'll be able to offer a prize). We could have something random like a "weirdest tune of the week" or something.

The station has a policy of playing a certain quota of Irish music (1 in 4 tracks must be Irish) so perhaps this "All Irish" show would appeal to those who review proposals. Also, we would be serving the community by promoting local up and coming talent.

I recently began volunteering at the station and if someone wants to begin a new show they (including volunteers) must come up with a plan for a show and record a mock up half hour recording of what the show would sound like which will be reviewed by the bosses. The minimum commitment for a new show is 3 months and there's no guarantee at all that the proposal will be accepted.

It could be a bit of fun.

I'll admit that I have limited knowledge of Irish producers aside from people I know who produce and I have never presented a radio show in my life but I was just wondering if anyone with significant passion for this type of thing... or knowledge of music would be interested in discussing something.

I will be doing a certain amount of radio in college and have only recently become interested in broadcasting so another motive for doing this would be to beef up my CV.

From my side, I would look for decent techno or house tracks to be played that have an underground, non-commercial sound, but anything that sounds good or unique would do for me. I'd be keen to have someone else on board who would have a broader view and knowledge of electronic music... and maybe different taste to mine. I'm in no way a confident speaker and i would have to research the radio 'lingo' but I would be keen to keep talk on the show honest and not forced.

Maybe we could also plug small local dublin gigs/producer nights.

Also, there would have to be a no EDM or chart dance policy. Not to be dissing anyone's jam, but I just don't want it on the show and it gets enough airplay on commercial radio. There is already a show on the station covering all that stuff.

This is a pure whim and might not be at all feasible at all but anyone interested in spitballing this further, Pm me!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

cant really co host as im based in galway for the summer...i have radio experience myself in cork though....but if you ever need tracks, im working on an ep over the summer! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

shane9689 wrote: »
    cant really co host as im based in galway for the summer...i have radio experience myself in cork though....but if you ever need tracks, im working on an ep over the summer! haha

Cool. Got any links to your sounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

OP, that sounds like a great idea. I hope you can get it up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

nothing solid yet...only an early stage first track, not mixed or mastered or anything, and needs to be tweaked, but itl give you an idea of my style, but please, the album will be of higher standard by the end of summer

https://soundcloud.com/shanemoloneys/glitched-future

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lb1997

Beakflakes wrote: »
    This summer I am thinking about putting in a proposal for a new 1 hour show on Dublin City Fm that focuses on the music of unreleased/amateur/hobbyist homegrown Irish electronic producers. (Either people from Ireland or based in Ireland).

Just seeing if anybody of a similar mindset would be enthusiastic about co-presenting the show?

My rough plan would be that the show would inspire bedroom producers to get cracking creatively and send us in their stuff through mixcloud or dropbox or a facebook page or whatever works best.... and we'll play live (and/or mix live, if we can) the best tunes we've been sent while discussing what we like about the tunes (I'll be shaky enough at this part). The show that goes out could also be prerecorded at times I suppose.

Maybe we could throw in some kind of weekly top 5 competition or something (with the prize for number 1 being...er, they get played on the show??? I doubt we'll be able to offer a prize). We could have something random like a "weirdest tune of the week" or something.

The station has a policy of playing a certain quota of Irish music (1 in 4 tracks must be Irish) so perhaps this "All Irish" show would appeal to those who review proposals. Also, we would be serving the community by promoting local up and coming talent.

I recently began volunteering at the station and if someone wants to begin a new show they (including volunteers) must come up with a plan for a show and record a mock up half hour recording of what the show would sound like which will be reviewed by the bosses. The minimum commitment for a new show is 3 months and there's no guarantee at all that the proposal will be accepted.

It could be a bit of fun.

I'll admit that I have limited knowledge of Irish producers aside from people I know who produce and I have never presented a radio show in my life but I was just wondering if anyone with significant passion for this type of thing... or knowledge of music would be interested in discussing something.

I will be doing a certain amount of radio in college and have only recently become interested in broadcasting so another motive for doing this would be to beef up my CV.

From my side, I would look for decent techno or house tracks to be played that have an underground, non-commercial sound, but anything that sounds good or unique would do for me. I'd be keen to have someone else on board who would have a broader view and knowledge of electronic music... and maybe different taste to mine. I'm in no way a confident speaker and i would have to research the radio 'lingo' but I would be keen to keep talk on the show honest and not forced.

Maybe we could also plug small local dublin gigs/producer nights.

Also, there would have to be a no EDM or chart dance policy. Not to be dissing anyone's jam, but I just don't want it on the show and it gets enough airplay on commercial radio. There is already a show on the station covering all that stuff.

This is a pure whim and might not be at all feasible at all but anyone interested in spitballing this further, Pm me!

Cheers!

sounds like great idea, good luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

Thanks guys! Not much interest yet, co-host wise... threw up another post since.... might give it a shot alone.

I suspect a lot of people might be uncomfortable with the fame/cash/helicopters/guns/"old-dolls" that inevitably go hand in hand with presenting a small community radio show;)

... and that's alright.

Advertisement