Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin IIF

• 12-02-2005 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on the Jameson Dublin International Film Festival? It launched last week, but opened last night with The Mighty Celt starring Gillian Anderson and Robert Carlyle, and the party was in Lillies Bordello.

Anyone going to see anything in particular?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,852 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Planning on going to a few of the films.

Went to see already:

Assassination of Richard Nixon: The fantastic preformances from the entire cast make this film well worth watching although I thought the depiction of Samuel Bicks spiral towards madness was a little flawed.

House of Flying Daggers: Beautiful film with some fantastic fighting and dancing scenes and a decent story. Ending was good but was a bit of an anticlimax for me but I suppose only what mattered to the story was shown.

The Cat Returns: Another fantastic film from Studio Ghibli. Animation is fantastic and helps create another interesting universe. Quite similar to Spirited Away but has much more humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Yeah, saw "House of Flying Daggers" today. I enjoyed it up until near the end when I thought it became a bit farcical. It is certainly beautiful, though not self-consciously so like "Hero". And the story is more integral to the film than was the case with "Hero".

After lunch, I saw "The World", a Chinese film that followed a few ordinary, struggling individuals in present-day Beijing. One of those films that holds a mirror up to real human life. I've never seen modern, urban China captured so perfectly or realistically on screen. Very long at 2h20m but I didn't feel it at all. Powerul, gripping cinema and I'm still thinking about it hours later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

First day for me today, missed House of Flying Daggers because I came off a night duty this morning and only got two hours sleep when my alarm went off.

Saw Downfall in UGC, very good film. Really powerful performance from Bruno Ganz as Hitler during the last 10 days of the Reich.

Saw Notre Musique in the Screen, which I think was best summed up by an anonymous punter I heard after refer to Godard as a "total wanker...shut upand leave us alone"... :D Interminable.

Saw Tarnation in UGC, really interesting biographical semi-doucumentary. Tells the story of director Jonathan Caouette as pieced together from his own collection of home movies and earlt attempts at film-making. Read about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Have seen:

Garden State: Whimsical stuff, entertaining enough.

Primer: Complex, flawed, but ultimately entertaining. A real puzzle of a film.

Going to see:

Mean Creek
    Kung Fu Hustle
    Surprise Film (which I reckon is Constantine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Elessar

I want to see Millions by Danny Boyle but also possible a few others (Kinsey anyone?)

Is it true that you have to be a member of the festival to see a film? Does it cost more?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,852 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You do need membership. Its 2.50 a day and 8 for the entire festival. It can be gotten along with your tickets.

Advertisement