Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

• 03-02-2005 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this Hong Kong film? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212712/

It was released here in January I think. Hot Press gave it ten out of ten, and Focus said it's tipped to be a cult sci-fi classic.

I plan on seeing this shortly, anyone know if it's that good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I think Karl reviewed it in the "what did you watch last night" thread. He thought it was bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I didn't see it, didn't review it, and didn't think it was bad. I do plan on seeing it, and I will give my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Indeed it was moi who reviewed it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=219577

Worst... Movie... EVER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I didn't see it, didn't review it, and didn't think it was bad. I do plan on seeing it, and I will give my opinion.
    As I said I think smile.gif
    steveland? wrote:
    Indeed it was moi who reviewed it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=219577

Worst... Movie... EVER
    Right, wrong person....well at least I remembered the verdict you gave it biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I, for one, am looking forward to this.

The other thread has turned into a right little biátchfest. It's possible that some films can only be appreciated properly after a person has seen other films and that people who haven't seen these other films will not understand it at all. This is certainly the case with some literature. Also, given the amount of films in existence, a person can't be faulted for not having seen them all. Why are people getting so upset about that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

plazzTT wrote:
    Hot Press gave it ten out of ten, and Focus said it's tipped to be a cult sci-fi classic.

Sci fi classic??? waaaa!! That is like comparing Alien to Barney.

This is an awful awful movie. Total and utter s h i t e. One of the most boring movies ever. Save yourself the money and see something else. You dont want to see this anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I'm just happy that I watched this on dvd
    and not at the cinema. By watching it on dvd I was able
    to pause it which enabled me to take a break from the boredom.
    The only good thing about this film was Zhang Ziyi who
    looked even more gorgeous than she normally does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I read the review in hot press. I got real intrested when i heard it was a jap sifi and it had robot sex. has to be seen now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I read the review in hot press. I got real intrested when i heard it was a jap sifi and it had robot sex. has to be seen now!
    It's not a jap sci-fi movie. One of the minor character in it is japanese and spoke japanese in the movie. The sci-fi element comes from what the main character is writing about and the film takes place in 1960s Hong Kong. And no graphic robot sex either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I really liked it, but it's not sci-fi by any stretch of the imagination, it has a few sci-fi bits that represent the main characters writings (well, thats how i saw them) but overall its a drama/quasi love story

If you go in expecting ninja robot sex and lasers, you'll be dissapointed. Its a Wong Kar Wai movie not a Yuen Woo-Ping actionfest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

saw it in ugc a week or two ago.

its a bit strange. would require another look to figure it out properly.

Wouldn't dismiss it as ****e though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

CodeMonkey wrote:
    It's not a jap sci-fi movie. One of the minor character in it is japanese and spoke japanese in the movie. The sci-fi element comes from what the main character is writing about and the film takes place in 1960s Hong Kong. And no graphic robot sex either...

Must have been another film i was reading about so!

Advertisement