Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac mini - hot or not hot?

Options
  • 14-09-2005 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

In general, would people who have them recommend them?

A friend is thinking of getting a new computer and budget is a major concern but is she sacrificing anything by not saving for a bit and getting something snazier?

It would be used for general home computer stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

I have a Mac Mini and I love it, does everything I need (surfing, downloading, streaming music on the airport) also Mac office runs fine on it. Graphically it only has a 64mb card but World of Warcraft still runs fine on it. The size is a great benefit and my MS wireless and keyboard mouse work a threat also. One thing though, I had to get a usb hub as it only has 2 usb ports and the 80gb drive is a concern (but I have hooked up my 250gb portable). But This Baby is coming out soon and will greatly increase the capcity of the Mac mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

sorry, that might be a bum link if your applestop is set to Ireland

try this if you can't see it
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10476

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I think they're a great machine. I use mine for surfing/email/programming/sys admin.
    Basically, there isn't anything I can't do on it that I can do on one of my unix or windows machines.

You might get a cheaper machine from Dell say - a low end celeron but the price/performance from the mini is far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

whats snazzier than a mac Mini?

Dell comes in cheaper in hardware, but when you consider the possible hassle with Windows: viruses and spyware as well as the associated costs, Mac is a good way to go, especially for a newcomer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

thumbs up then - thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

I'd say that the mini is an absolute beauty :) i'm addicted to mine!
    as for dell coming in with cheaper hardware. yes the hardware from dell will be cheaper. until you try match the power / features of the mini. then dell get expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I've just ordered one today and am very much looking forward to playing around with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Yeah I've got one and it's great, I just wish it had a better graphics card. I also wish the majority of PC games came on PC/MAC hybrid discs a la Football Manager/WOW, but then again that's not going to happen anytime soon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shadow_2k5

the Mac Mini is a Sweet Computer I love mine how ever dont try Change the Ram in it your self I tryed it & ever since i changed me Ram well I f*cked it up keeps restarting & well just dont work any more Ram advice is get Apple to Ram her up & your flying but now with the 512 as standerd its cool I just got the mini when they first came out & got screwed with a little ****e 256 which is usless running OS X Tiger

Advertisement