Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Internet Sharing" problem on 10.3.9

Options
  • 12-09-2005 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭

This is driving me mad, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've a G4 tower running 10.3.9. It's connected to a Airport Express, which in turn is connected to Smart's standard Aolynk router. No problems so far.

I'm trying to share the connection with a Dell XP machine. The Dell is connected to the G4 tower via Ethernet. So far so good.

I can ping www.boards.ie, but for the life of me I can't open any websites.

I've the exact same problem with my PowerBook G4, if I try to connect in the same fashion (PB normally connects directly to the Airport Express).

Any ideas?

Garfield.

Additional info: The Dell has an IP address of 192.168.2.2 (same range as Aolynk router).

The Mac seems to think that the IP address of the Ethernet port is 10.0.1.2

I've enabled Windows Sharing on the tower, but can't connect from the PC.

G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Ok I'm not a big Mac fan but I do love a challenge.

Try enabling IP forwarding, and set the IP addresses on each of the cards to be in the same range of your working LAN.

ie, if your router is 192.168.0.1, AP is .2 PB .3 etc keep moving up and set them.

Then enable IP forwarding on your G4 tower. sudo sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 -- Notice I robbed that from another website, no idea if it will work.

And set the gateway and DNS servers manually on the Dell. Then it should work, although lacking in any network certifications at all, I'm not greatly hopeful.

Edit: Althought this isn't exactly what you're looking for it could help out a bit
    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2003/11/25/nat_panther.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ip masquerade and iptables and static routes in unix

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

rather than setting up internet sharing on the Mac could you put a wireless card in the pc (or get an externat usb wireless dongle) & connect to the airport network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

rather than setting up internet sharing on the Mac could you put a wireless card in the pc (or get an externat usb wireless dongle) & connect to the airport network?
    Don't have a wireless card in the pc, but yes, I could get one.

I'd rather not though. I want to run all non-Mac devices through the Mac.

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Fixed this problem. Turns out that my firewall was preventing port 80 connections. Seems strange to have something called Internet Sharing that doesn't allow browsing by default. Anyway, added an entry for port 80 and it works. Very strange, as obviously port 80 works from the main machine by default.

Garfield.
    This is driving me mad, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've a G4 tower running 10.3.9. It's connected to a Airport Express, which in turn is connected to Smart's standard Aolynk router. No problems so far.

I'm trying to share the connection with a Dell XP machine. The Dell is connected to the G4 tower via Ethernet. So far so good.

I can ping www.boards.ie, but for the life of me I can't open any websites.

I've the exact same problem with my PowerBook G4, if I try to connect in the same fashion (PB normally connects directly to the Airport Express).

Any ideas?

Garfield.

Additional info: The Dell has an IP address of 192.168.2.2 (same range as Aolynk router).

The Mac seems to think that the IP address of the Ethernet port is 10.0.1.2

I've enabled Windows Sharing on the tower, but can't connect from the PC.

G.

• Advertisement
Advertisement