Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccinations whilst Ill?

Options
  • 26-02-2011 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭

Didn't realise the "Men's Health" link brought one to the GC...?
    And this is really moreso just a "Health" question than a "Men's Health" one, but I didn't much fancy the look of the "Health and Fitness" forum...

Anyway - briefly - got about 5 inoculations this week against hep A, dyptheria, tetanus, and what have you, in prep for a trip to Hong Kong in a couple of months. At the first visit to the clinic I was grand, got a couple of shots and had no adverse reaction. Seem to have developed some sort of bug over the week though - sore throat, cough, rumbly abdomen... and in retrospect I should possibly have mentioned this to the nurse before getting the remainder of the shots yesterday, but I didn't.
    So question, I suppose, is - what are the consequences of receiving inoculations whilst ill?
    Is it just that the body and immune system are under more stress and therefore it will take longer to recover from illness?
    Is there potential that the illness will be made worse through combination with the extra viruses in the system?
    Or might the illness render the inoculation useless?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You need to talk to your doctor, no one here can give you such advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I wasn't looking for advice, rather information and/or opinions, which I would take on board in deciding which course of action to take...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Ficheall wrote: »
    I wasn't looking for advice, rather information and/or opinions, which I would take on board in deciding which course of action to take...

Live vaccines arent administered for the pathogens you mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

You will need to talk to your GP,we cannot give advice,which despite your last post,is exactly with information and opinions is.Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement