Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on selling a car?

Options
  • 01-04-2008 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Any one got any advice on how to sell my car. Its a 00 polo low milage just dont know how to go about selling it iv put it up on carzone but no luck yet.Just wondering if anyone can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

put a sticker in the window?
    Put it in the Buy&Sell
    Local newspaper?
    If its an option, park it outside your house or somewhere where it'll get seen by passers by with the above mentioned sticker in the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cj2007

I just need advice really on how to market it

put a link to the carzone ad here and you'll get feedback on it if you ask nicely :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If the car is sound, the pics pleasing and detailed, the text well written and relevant, and the price right you'll get enquiries.

After that it's up to you to finalise the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Ok here is where you can start:

1) Get it valeted by a professional on the bodywork and give it a good interior clean yourself. Maybe get this done by a professional too if needs be. Cleanout the ashtray especially if you have been smoking in the car. Punters don't want to see a sctuffy interior, especially mucky footwells and pedals. That would certainly put me off buying a car.

2) Take at least 6 photos of the car (9 max), comprising the following:
    -- 4 exterior angle shots, each at 90 degrees to each other.
    -- 1 shot with the boot open and all doors open.
    -- 2 front seat shots, one from passenger side and one from drivers side.
    -- 1 back seat shot
    Make sure all pics are taken on a clear bright dry day. Use a good camera. If you don't have a digital camera then borrow one. Don't use a camera phone.

3) Look at the price you are selling your car at. Don't price it too high or nobody will be interested in it. Advertise it at a low price and tell people it is priced to sell.

That's it for now, if you have the ad on carzone do you mind showing it to us ? Thanks.

• Advertisement

I was browsing carzone BEFORE you posted that link and I swear it was the first one I clicked on.

I'd loose the stickers.
    The pics look kind of dark. Maybe retake them on a brighter day?
    And maybe some interior photos too...

Definately don't post any stretched out pics like the 2nd one.
    Does it have a Full Service History?

ye the interior wasnt that clean that day iv to take some more photos.dont know how the 2nd one streched...Yep full service history.

cj2007 wrote: »
    Yep full service history.

so mention it in the ad. I know alot of people on here wouldn't dream of buying a car without a FSH

are the tyres new or old?

yes just got new ones for my driving test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Your second shot is stretched because you took the photo in portrait format....carzone resizes all uploaded pics, but it's system doesn't recognise format...it just takes it for granted that it's in landscape format so when it resizes it, the picture is stretched.
    The same is also true if you upload pictures that have been cropped.

so..... put that in the ad :)

MMmmm central locking?? Remote central locking??

Alarm?? Immobiliser??

No apart from the other 2 things u said everything else is mentioned in the add

I can't think of anything else right now but I'm sure somebody else will pop in and offer some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

The biggest problem with the car here is the colour. Green and especially that particular shade are not the easiest cars to shift on. Good luck you'll need it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'll give ya 3k for it if you REALLY want to sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Remove flower stickers.
    Pics from all sides in good light.
    Pics of interior and dashboard.

Good luck

yellow012 wrote: »
    The biggest problem with the car here is the colour. Green and especially that particular shade are not the easiest cars to shift on. Good luck you'll need it

I suppose its all personal taste.I love this shade to be honest but I can under stand other people hating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Definitely:

Remove stickers

Daylight Pictures

The more pictures the better, inside, etc.

Even though anybody that is interested in buying a Polo will know what the interior looks like, by them looking at the pics it will be more enticing to them. This evening is ideal for photos. have a look at cars for sale in carzone by some of the dealers to see the best style of shots to use. Pick an add for an expensive car & try out the angles they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

As was said get rid of the daisy stickers as it's unlikely any males will have any interest in it with them on which limits your market to girlie girls who are buying a car privatly which is a tiny market. Also you mention the CD player being worth over €300 yet you have no photos taken of it, take some of it and the interior, the standard radio in the Polo is muck so this is likely to appear to potential buyers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I thought polos came with a height adjustable seat. Put that in too might seem small but i know from experiance short women like this to be known before they approach the car!
    Pics are a bit dull, other then that they are actually alright. I could forgive the stretched one.

You mention the expensive radio, you don't need the entire car to be clean to have a nice pic of that in!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Revenue values your car at €3500 retail. Private sale will make maybe 90% of that.

A hairdryer will heat the glue on those stickers btw. Petrol will disolve any remaining glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the car is overpriced to be honest. Looking at carzone.ie your price is about half way down the list meaning your competing with cars for sale at dealerships who offer warranties. I'd say your going to have to drop by at least €500 and see what interest you get then. The market is saturated with used cars for sale so if you want to sell it your going to have price it aggressively.

Also that shade of green is a love it or hate it colour, no middle ground I would image which will limit it's appeal.

Advertisement