Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Converting from Commercial to 'normal' ....

Options
  • 31-03-2008 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

I drive a 2006 Touareg commercial. Anyone know if it can be converted back to non commercial? Would the VRT value basically need to be paid? Any other info / advice on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I enquired about doing a similiar job to a corolla before but was told it wasn't worth my time - it would take a lot of work, sourcing parts along with some fabrication to make the rear seats fit. Then you have glass and other bits and pieces. In the end, cost-wise, you would be better off buying a passenger vehicle in the first place.
    Then you'll have to vrt it and declare it as a passenger vehicle for insurance purposes.

Did I miss anything!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

land9 wrote: »
    I enquired about doing a similiar job to a corolla before but was told it wasn't worth my time - it would take a lot of work, sourcing parts along with some fabrication to make the rear seats fit. Then you have glass and other bits and pieces. In the end, cost-wise, you would be better off buying a passenger vehicle in the first place.
    Then you'll have to vrt it and declare it as a passenger vehicle for insurance purposes.

Did I miss anything!?

Nope, dont think so. I think someone said that my rear seats were actually still installed, below the metal box that they then carpet. Space looks small - but could be .....

Just a thought really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Chaz wrote: »
    Nope, dont think so. I think someone said that my rear seats were actually still installed, below the metal box that they then carpet. Space looks small - but could be .....

Just a thought really.

Unlikely the seats are still there under the floor. To get classified as a commercial all rear seats and (most importantly) the anchor points for the seat belts have to be removed and welded up so the rear seats cannot be re-installed. The glass is still in the rear passenger windows with a sheet of metal (and probably carpet) on the inside. The rear electric window mechanism will have been disabled too.

Would probably cost a fortune to source all the parts and pay for the labour to re-install back to passenger status, then you'd have to pay VRT.

It's been made as difficult as possible to return the "vans" to cars so people don't do it to get around VRT.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Unlikely the seats are still there under the floor. To get classified as a commercial all rear seats and (most importantly) the anchor points for the seat belts have to be removed and welded up so the rear seats cannot be re-installed. The glass is still in the rear passenger windows with a sheet of metal (and probably carpet) on the inside. The rear electric window mechanism will have been disabled too.

Would probably cost a fortune to source all the parts and pay for the labour to re-install back to passenger status, then you'd have to pay VRT.

It's been made as difficult as possible to return the "vans" to cars so people don't do it to get around VRT.

Noted. Oh well - will need to see if there any options.

Anyone want to buy a 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDI V6 (commercial)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Chaz wrote: »
    Noted. Oh well - will need to see if there any options.

Anyone want to buy a 2006 Touareg 3.0 TDI V6 (commercial)?
    I'll swap with you. I'll even throw in a tank of diesel. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think all these commercials come to ireland as passenger cars. They are then converted and all seats etc are supposed to be destroyed. I have a feeling that a few sets of everything escape destruction so it might not be so hard to find all the bit if you knew where to look. I havent a clue where though.

I had heard, and perhaps part of the reason why the thought crossed my mind, is that someone had had a piece of electronics or similar fitted to their Touareg commercial and when they drilled into the steel box, that there was some signs of folded or perhaps the lower part of the seat.

I must admit, sounds a bit like a tale - on one of the other points about removing anchor points etc etc - doesnt sound like an easy mod or retrofit.

Advertisement