Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small IP Camera for home

Options
  • 25-07-2015 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi guys

I was thinking of getting a Foscam C1 Wireless N 720P HD Mini IP Camera for monitoring the driveway while I'm away

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of camera or any other that they'd recommend?

Bit of a rookie when it comes to these things :P

Thanks

Rockin

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They are a basic plug & play unit just for viewing & accessing remotely.
    If you are looking for a proper CCTV with recording capabilities etc you would need a lot better & a bigger budget.
    What do you want to use it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

KoolKid wrote: »
    What do you want to use it for?
    monitoring the driveway while I'm away

Koolkid that is what the op wants.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I know. But I was wondering if he wanted recordering facilities etc.
    While these are nice to look at, they are not much use after that. Even if you do, by chance, catch something happening while you are watching it,you will have no useable evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

One of my friends was using a little USB camera to monitor his driveway and the road in front. The Cam would only record when movement happened, and he set it up that clips were viewable from the web.
    Does it have to be IP or is USB useful? You need to be able to read car reg or peoples faces?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Moved to Home Security Systems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

KoolKid wrote: »
    I know. But I was wondering if he wanted recordering facilities etc.
    While these are nice to look at, they are not much use after that. Even if you do, by chance, catch something happening while you are watching it,you will have no useable evidence.

Hi Koolkid

thanks for the reply

I have two uses for it -
    1. To monitor the driveway - see if anyone has been wandering in while on holidays etc
    2. For above my till in my small business -) this is more for myself to check who was accessing the till in case of the end of day balance being off)

I know that these systems can get very expensive quickly so I'm looking to keep it as functional and simple. That's why the Foscam C1 seemed like a good option - good quality and SD / network saves.

Something like that with an SD card will cover the basics for you. It's down to whether the playback image quality is acceptable to you.
    Also remember, if you were to try use images as evidence they may not be admissible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

Rockin wrote: »
    Hi Koolkid

thanks for the reply

I have two uses for it -
    1. To monitor the driveway - see if anyone has been wandering in while on holidays etc
    2. For above my till in my small business -) this is more for myself to check who was accessing the till in case of the end of day balance being off)

I know that these systems can get very expensive quickly so I'm looking to keep it as functional and simple. That's why the Foscam C1 seemed like a good option - good quality and SD / network saves.

If its anything to do with a business then I would recommend using a proper system. If its watching a till then it will pay for itself in the long run also. Systems of today will allow you remote access to view live and any recorded images as opposed to taking out a SD card to view.

Cheers guys

I'll grab a foscam for the driveway monitor.

Any recommendations for a nice (reasonably priced) DIY camera kit for the small business? I like the look of the Ubiquiti Networks gear

Thanks again!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Cheers guys

I'll grab a foscam for the driveway monitor.

Any recommendations for a nice (reasonably priced) DIY camera kit for the small business? I like the look of the Ubiquiti Networks gear

Thanks again!

I like the Hikvision IP range. I found it very easy to install, excellent quality (3mp) and can do 1080p/HD also. This could be linked to a DVR or recorded on a PC for the time being and in the future get a dvr just for CCTV.

Ubiquiti stuff seem good but haven't tried it .All I can say is Hikvision stuffii found easy to put in and use. Be careful buying CCTV online and stay clear of Chinese versions/copy cats. You'll end up paying more in the long run and its tax deductible anyway. Having said this the only ones I have used are Hikvision and honestly cannot fault them. They do what we needed them to do and works fine.

Also keep in mind Data Protection rules as a business when monitoring staff and ensure you have a CCTV policy in place with signage etc.

• Advertisement

Mr. G wrote: »
    I like the Hikvision IP range. I found it very easy to install, excellent quality (3mp) and can do 1080p/HD also. This could be linked to a DVR or recorded on a PC for the time being and in the future get a dvr just for CCTV.

Ubiquiti stuff seem good but haven't tried it .All I can say is Hikvision stuffii found easy to put in and use. Be careful buying CCTV online and stay clear of Chinese versions/copy cats. You'll end up paying more in the long run and its tax deductible anyway. Having said this the only ones I have used are Hikvision and honestly cannot fault them. They do what we needed them to do and works fine.

Also keep in mind Data Protection rules as a business when monitoring staff and ensure you have a CCTV policy in place with signage etc.

Cheers - any recommended/ good value stockists of Hikvision ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Cheers - any recommended/ good value stockists of Hikvision ?

I got mine new on eBay from a UK seller. Try REW, I've used them a few times for parts for other things and found them very good. They will more than likely have them or be able to get them for you. Other option is Adverts.ie.

Be warey buying from China/Hong Kong.

Advertisement