Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government Capital Spending on Roads: 2016-2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

no word in that article of the N4 improvements near Sligo which isnt a great sign as it'd be up there on my list of barely touched primary route sections that need fixing.

EDIT: I now see the section from Knock to Tobbercurry is to be fixed, which indeed is great news.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

no word in that article of the N4 improvements near Sligo which isnt a great sign as it'd be up there on my list of barely touched primary route sections that need fixing.

EDIT: I now see the section from Knock to Tobbercurry is to be fixed, which indeed is great news.

The absolute worst bend was done a few years ago as a part 4 scheme. That takes the safety spotlight off it and pushes it down the list unfortunately

L1011 wrote: »
    The absolute worst bend was done a few years ago as a part 4 scheme. That takes the safety spotlight off it and pushes it down the list unfortunately
    not sure now if its on the backburner after all.

heres the project page which shows it as a live project.
    http://www.sligococo.ie/N4/

and they got 3.5million already for 2015 to continue planning and digging for fossils and whatnot!
    http://www.sligonewsfile.com/national-roads-authority-announces-2015-sligo-roads-allocation/

so it looks like this isnt mentioned simply as theres no decision to be made, because it is going ahead (slowly) regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Fairly substandard road although nowhere near as bad as Tubbercurry to Collooney.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Fairly substandard road although nowhere near as bad as Tubbercurry to Collooney.
    the worst bend on that stretch has cash allocated to be fixed this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Vanquished wrote: »
    In an ideal world it would've been delivered in one lot however an 80km motorway was always going to be a hugely ambitious project. Sadly the arse fell out of everything just as the preferred route was unveiled in the summer of 2008!

A bit of pragmatism wouldn't have gone a stray. They could have pushed on with at least the planning of the more critical middle portion instead of taking the nuclear option and canning the lot!

In an ideal world the M20 (and the Galway bypass) would have been considered part of the "Main interurbans" that were hammered through with a fixed end-2010 opening date.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

In an ideal world the M20 (and the Galway bypass) would have been considered part of the "Main interurbans" that were hammered through with a fixed end-2010 opening date.
    Indeed - that was in fact the plan back in the 2000 road programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I agree with ye, connecting Cork-Limerick-Galway by motorway should have been done at the time the inter urbans to Dublin were being done.

At least there will soon be a proper road between Limerick and Tuam (what a transformation that will be for the west of Ireland and county Galway in particular), but the road between Cork and Limerick is atrocious.

At this stage I don't care what part of the M20 they do first, it's all a pile of dung at the moment but if I had to choose I'd want to see Mallow-Charleville done first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Bards

... and there should be a decent road (2+2, HQDC or mixture) between the Southeast and the Mid-West & West Either the N24 or N80 but one of these routes should be upgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Has M11 widening fallen through the funding cracks ?

• Advertisement

Apparently the long awaited Capital Investment Programme is to be announced on Wednesday. Fingers crossed the M20 makes the grade!

Apparently the long awaited Capital Investment Programme is to be announced on Wednesday. Fingers crossed the M20 makes the grade!
    now pushed back to next week
    http://www.newstalk.com/Long-awaited-capital-investment-plan-wont-be-published-until-next-week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

I'd be surprised if it did.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if it did.
    The whole M20 won't be.

Some part of it will have to be, it was needed yesterday.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Anyone reckon they can call what will be on the list?

Something major from Cork will have to be, ideally 2+ schemes from scratched new segmented M20, N25/N40 Dunkettle interchange, M28, N22 Macroom/Ballyvourney bypass, N25 Midleton-Youghal. I don't think the N71 will be tackled from Halfway-Cork.

It's likely something on the N5 will be included, either Westport-Castlebar or Longford-x. It's a pity they wouldnt' upgrade the N4 beyond Longford and spur off the N5 near Carrick-on-Shannon/Boyle.

The M7 widening/J9A is another scheme that was needed yesterday and has to be on the list.

Also plenty of rumours that the 3 schemes from the last PPP programme (M11 Enniscorthy, N25 New Ross and N6 Galway)

Others:
    N4/N15/N17 scheme or something in the Sligo area.
    N2 Slane bypass
    N21/N69 Adare bypass/Foynes road improvement scheme
    Minor national secondary schemes (N56, N86 etc.)

Well the M28 and M21/N69 are from EU funding, so I can't see how they won't be included.

We're also expecting the M11 Enniscorthy, N6 Galway bypass and N25 New Ross bypass to be re-announced conveniently in time for the next election even though they were part of the last roads programme included.

For Cork, Sponge Bob mentioned the Dunkettle Interchange, Cork will have to get something else, hopefully given the recent noises in the Daily Mail the 'something else' will be movement on the M20. I'd also add the Macroom/Ballyvourney bypass to that, it will be a fairly decent road if that is done, it will never justify a motorway like the N20 would but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a decent road to Tralee and Killarney. I would say longer term there should be a motorway as far as the Macroom bypass, but we'll worry about that at another time, doing Macroom and Ballyvourney would be higher up my priority list given how badly congested Macroom can get (not to mention how dangerous those bends coming into Ballyvourney can be).

As the crowd up in Mayo are complaining that Enda is 'doing nothing' for the county you can be sure Mayo will get something (Enda certainly will not want to be coming second to Michael Ring or anyone else), Westport-Turlough has been mentioned plus Ballaghdereen-Longford, I wouldn't be surprised if both of them got the go ahead, I think once those schemes are done the N5 could be considered to be 'done' as the likes of Charlestown, Swinford and Ballaghdereen have already been bypassed.

Widening schemes for the M7 and M11 near Dublin have been mentioned, but it would be far, far better if money was spent educating motorists on the importance of keeping in the leftmost lane unless overtaking, given Irish motorists' complete and utter inability to drive correctly on three lane carriageways. It's almost as if people deliberately do it wrongly at this stage, if you drive on the correct (leftmost) lane on the N7 you basically have the road to yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I predict Cork to get Dunkettle Interchange and that will be that.

N28 will also get announced but that won't be funded by government.

N20 will get a few million maybe for planning or such. It will be pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

marno21 wrote: »
    The whole M20 won't be.

Some part of it will have to be, it was needed yesterday.

It might be broken up into more than two schemes and build it out in a piecemeal fashion. Which actually would be better than waiting another 10 years for it to get the go ahead. Most motorway routes in Ireland have been completed in a drip-drip manner anyway so it wouldn't be anything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I predict Cork to get Dunkettle Interchange and that will be that.

N28 will also get announced but that won't be funded by government.

N20 will get a few million maybe for planning or such. It will be pathetic.

I agree with that, the wonderful electorate will listen as the Dunkettle scheme is announced, shortly followed up by the N28, but they will probably not know that the EU is actually footing the bill for the latter and has been announced already.

kub wrote: »
    I agree with that, the wonderful electorate will listen as the Dunkettle scheme is announced, shortly followed up by the N28, but they will probably not know that the EU is actually footing the bill for the latter and has been announced already.
    well, to be honest if they just announced the new stuff, then the first question is whether the old stuff is still going ahead, so maybe no harm to mention the old stuff is still going ahead.

In a similar vein, if you have an amount of projects already in the pipeline eating up your budget for capital expenditure and you announce only the new stuff which is maybe relatively little, then it might not be aparant to someone with a passing interest that the small amount of new stuff is because cash has already been committed to that region previously.

it is annoying when the same stuff gets announced again and again, but if politicans are elected on the basis of what they get (which in Ireland is nearly as important as being seen as being a sound head or from the right party), then you should expect to be reminded again and again what they are doing for their constituents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Apparently the long awaited Capital Investment Programme is to be announced on Wednesday. [...]

Which one? ;)

joujoujou wrote: »
    Which one? ;)

The coming one hopefully;).

I see that the N25 New Ross bypass and M11 Enniscorthy bypass tenders are now good to go, so no doubt they will re-appear in the new announcement.

I suspect we will see an official signing/photo op for both roads closer to the general election but may not actually see any physical construction of these roads until some time next year, like what happened with the M17/M18 last year when the ceremony was held before the locals but nothing happened until the start of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

Tomorrow's papers

Mayo News - N5 funding confirmed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQBjf0fVAAAeQdx.jpg

Irish Examiner - Cork roads set for upgrade in €27bn plan - I can make out the words Dunkettle Interchange, Cork to Ringaskiddy and Macroom bypass in there - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQBi2SKWcAA89gI.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Bigger image here for the examiner. No M20 by the looks of it.

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

The Indo reports a " a €110m upgrade of the N7 Naas dual carriageway to allow traffic to freely flow from Cork, Waterford and Carlow to Belfast via Dublin". I imagine this reflects the poor quality of Irish journalism and they mean the M7 Naas bypass third lane project.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/27bn-spree-on-hospitals-roads-and-schools-31566455.html

What time is the actual speech at? Beyond believe if some part of the M20 won't go ahead.

Anyone have a full list of schemes in the programme? It's hardly just M7 & N22

marno21 wrote: »
    Anyone have a full list of schemes in the programme? It's hardly just M7 & N22

The following are definitely in.

M7 widening
    Macroom bypass
    Dunkettle Interchange improvement
    N28 dualling
    Foynes / Adare scheme
    New Ross bypass
    Enniscorthy bypass

Nothing on M20 or N24 which is disappointing.

• Advertisement

Delighted the M28 and Macroom have made it, at last there will be a half decent road to Kerry from Cork! The only really bad bit left will be Macroom-Ballincollig.

The M28 is great news as it was doubtful earlier on this summer if it was going to make it. Dunkettle is as we expected.

I presume the Galway bypass will also be included in today's announcement.

Mallow is getting a relief road as well, so that means Cork is getting Dunkettle (desperately needed), Macroom (finally), Ringaskiddy (also desperately needed) and a relief road for Mallow (which isn't really needed but is better than nothing I suppose).

https://twitter.com/seansherlocktd/status/648825492922060800

I am VERY disappointed that it looks like nothing is going to be done on the M20. Cork has done OK thus far, it could have been a lot worse, but equally it could have been a lot better, the road between the country's second and third cities is nowhere near good enough. Getting Adare bypassed is fantastic news as well, between this and Macroom Kerry has certainly done well for itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement