Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keyless front door?

Options
  • 01-09-2012 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

Ach i succeeded in locking myself out again today. Left the front door key in the house.

Anyone got ideas for a keyless front door entry system, domestic, that my insurance company ("5 lever locks" etc) would be ok with?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are a number of external key safes you could have fitted.
    Like this one...
    mini-key-safe-main.jpg
    You would want a very secure form of electronic locking if your trusting your house with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

The Yale key free system looks good

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Yale key free system looks good

Is this the one your talking about?

http://www.yaledoor.co.uk/keyless-door-locks?v=1

What one ??

The link is there now...

• Advertisement

Tis the one !

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

KoolKid wrote: »

Jaysus, did ya see the price of it ?

Looks good, I'd say people would take a lot of convincing to trust them though.

You get what you pay for I guess. It works with multipoint locking systems which is great

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭frebel

Has anyone had any experiences getting their front door fitted with a digital lock? Have nowhere to hide a key outside of the house.

Was looking at the Yale site and saw that as I have a composite door it would require professional installation - boards won't let me post link to site

Their link for Irish service was for a PI company!
    (boards won't let me post link to site)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

frebel wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experiences getting their front door fitted with a digital lock? Have nowhere to hide a key outside of the house.

Was looking at the Yale site and saw that as I have a composite door it would require professional installation - boards won't let me post link to site

Their link for Irish service was for a PI company!
    (boards won't let me post link to site)

Hi
    Could you Pm me the link please I would like to have a look @ this lock .

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭frebel

sent link just now carpenter

otherwise google yale digital can I go keyless?

Fuh Q wrote: »
    Jaysus, did ya see the price of it ?

I just fitted an abloy last week that cost 1550 euro :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've a very cheap solution to locking keys in the house and thats having a front door with no door knob or door handle. The only way to pull the door shut is to put the yale key in the lock and use that to pull the door closed. Cost Zero :)

my3cents wrote: »
    I've a very cheap solution to locking keys in the house and thats having a front door with no door knob or door handle. The only way to pull the door shut is to put the yale key in the lock and use that to pull the door closed. Cost Zero :)

Nice 1 I seen a door closer made from a water bottle before ingenious

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I went with the Homematic System, various sensors and stuff are available (door/window sensors/switches etc)

For control you can use Keyfobs, but the Central Control Unit (CCU2) has a WebUI and you can control it this way also.

Connection between the keyfobs and CCU are AES Encrypted, same between the devices e.g. CCU to KeyMatic or other devices such as Light switches and so on.

For the Web Interface I have my home network encrypted via a VPN and then I connect and use the App.

I have my RaspberryPi serving a Webcam picture so I can see who is at the front door.

There's a forum post here that covers it, mine is mechanically and physically identical, just a slightly different model Homematic Protocol

http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14556

Its nice because it doesn't require a special lock or modification of the door itself, just fits over the existing barrel that's there.

For my phone I have the KeyMatic App, which allows you to integrate the Webcam and Keymatic controls:

front_door.png

My main reason for installing it was like the OPs, incase I lock myself out I can always logon to VPN with my phone and open the door, or to let friends/guests in when I am not there.

Been using it for 3 months now and it's reliable so far :)

Need to re position my WebCam though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

PeteK* wrote: »

313 Dollars plus a possible 21% VAT on Delivery, the bones of 300 euros. :eek:

I am skeptical on the 3 years claim with 4 AA Batteries when it uses Wifi for communication

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

KoolKid wrote: »

I got this recently and have to say we are delighted with it . Got it fitted to a composite door through Oval Windows .

Any questions feel free to Pm me ..

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

313 Dollars plus a possible 21% VAT on Delivery, the bones of 300 euros. :eek:

I am skeptical on the 3 years claim with 4 AA Batteries when it uses Wifi for communication

Plus only works with deadbolt locks ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

sharkman wrote: »
    I got this recently and have to say we are delighted with it . Got it fitted to a composite door through Oval Windows .

Any questions feel free to Pm me ..

Hi Sharkman, can't figure out how to PM you from mobile can you let me know where you got the Yale key free kick from as I want to self install.

Thanks
    Ken

Lock not kick!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

Lock not kick!

Id say he got it here.

Hi Ken , oval aluminium supplied the lock . Sourced from yale ireland.

Many thanks Sharkman, is that Oval in lusk - any idea on price :o

Advertisement