Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Question for those of you who frequent Liverpool regularly - the girlfriend booked us a weekend away this coming Friday. At the time it was setup for the Merseyside Derby but instead everyone is off to Wembley instead (ironic considering she lives 10 minutes from Wembley but how and ever).

Anyways, suggestions for best place to watch the match in or around Liverpool 1 this Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Question for those of you who frequent Liverpool regularly - the girlfriend booked us a weekend away this coming Friday. At the time it was setup for the Merseyside Derby but instead everyone is off to Wembley instead (ironic considering she lives 10 minutes from Wembley but how and ever).

Anyways, suggestions for best place to watch the match in or around Liverpool 1 this Sunday?

You could always head out to the supporters club down a bit from anfield, drink dirt cheap, should be a bit of an atmosphere there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

When is this derby on anyway, I heard the 20th or 21st.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »

Carras bar/restaurant would be your best bet but get there early. Its dead centre of LiverpoolOne. Really good food too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I have a flight booked for the weekend for the CC final, unfortunately I've being let down with the match tickets. I know its late but I'll sell the flight to anyone who wants it at face value, you just pay for the name change on booking. Flight as follows : Dub - Luton on friday leaving 8am, Gatwick to Dublin on monday at 9.55pm. Cost €73 with Ryanair.

Apologies to mods if this post in wrong place.

would you not try and go to london and get a ticket or at the very least, see the game in a nearby pub? if its ryanair, a name change costs 100 euro, more than the value of the flight!

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    would you not try and go to london and get a ticket or at the very least, see the game in a nearby pub? if its ryanair, a name change costs 100 euro, more than the value of the flight!

Exactly, my father hasn't even had the sniff of a ticket and he booked a flight straight away when we got through on the off chance he will pick one up over there, that said I've an aunt living in London so free accommodation.

Only reason I'm not going is I have to go to the US next week for a conference so cant fit in London this weekend.

A day trip to London would appeal to me if i was in Liverpool. About 2 hours on a train for about £20rtn. Would most likely get 2 tickets outside Wembley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I'm one of the hopefuls going without tickets.......wonder how much the touts will be selling them for?

gafferino wrote: »
    I'm one of the hopefuls going without tickets.......wonder how much the touts will be selling them for?

I wouldnt expect much change from £200STG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Melion wrote: »
    A day trip to London would appeal to me if i was in Liverpool. About 2 hours on a train for about £20rtn. Would most likely get 2 tickets outside Wembley.

How would you get a train for £20 to London? just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Kess73 wrote: »
    The lower league teams have been the ones that Carroll and Downing have played best against as well, so that form may carry over into the final.

Downing's goal and assist for the season to date came against lower league teams.

Three of Carroll's six goals this season have come against lower league team as well as one of his three assists this season.

This bodes well for the final, but my god those are some sorry statistics.

Downing really is a headless wonder on the wing. If it's true that Downing was our 3rd or 4th choice, why didn't we just hold off for a year and buy a short term replacement, the likes of Damien Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

daithijjj wrote: »
    How would you get a train for £20 to London? just curious.
    redspottedhanky.com is usually good for cheap train tickets or the trainline.com.

I have just seen that I can get one for £11 one way.

redspottedhanky.com is usually good for cheap train tickets or the trainline.com.

I have just seen that I can get one for £11 one way.

For the game on Sunday i meant. I just put in Sunday return on Virgin and Redspot and couldnt get for less than £150. Maybe thats wrong?

Edit, managed to get an all in one for £74.20, still a long way off £20 though lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Melion wrote: »
    I wouldnt expect much change from £200STG

There's touts offering 400 for them in Liverpool to sell on I believe

For the game on Sunday i meant. I just put in Sunday return on Virgin and Redspot and couldnt get for less than £150. Maybe thats wrong?

Edit, managed to get an all in one for £74.20, still a long way off £20 though lol.

Train travel in England can be quite expensive unless booked in advance I remember the last time I did it it was 143 single London to liverpool for the walk up price (I had a free pass ) I couldn't believe it

Train travel in England can be quite expensive unless booked in advance I remember the last time I did it it was 143 single London to liverpool for the walk up price (I had a free pass ) I couldn't believe it

Before they started cutting internal routes it used to be cheaper to fly in alot of cases. Train is last resort for alot of people i know. Im not going myself but i know a few who are, was just curious/interested.

Before they started cutting internal routes it used to be cheaper to fly in alot of cases. Train is last resort for alot of people i know. Im not going myself but i know a few who are, was just curious/interested.

I'm flying to London myself I'm sure there's still cheapish flights as there is that many options available with London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Well, we're 3/4 of the way through the season now:

What are your thoughts/opinions on Jordan Henderson?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Paully D wrote: »

Cheers.

honestly I think he looks out of his depth

I think that when you get to this stage of the season and teams know where they're at in terms of their chances at obtaining silverware, any team would be delighted at the prospect of a cup final, regardless of the prestige attached to the cup. I'd be shocked if a Man U/Arsenal/Chelsea fan would scoff at the opportunity.

I think the stigma of the Carling Cup being ''mickey mouse'' has faded a lot over the last few years.

With Champions League qualification not guaranteed for the likes of yourselves, Arsenal, Chelsea and with the likes of Manchester City and Tottenham progressing a lot, managers who would usually use the competition to give youngsters a game are seeing it as a real opportunity to get silverware in the trophy cabinet.

Obviously for bottom half and mid-table clubs it would be superb to win it as always, but I think that applies to a certain extent to the top sides now too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Cheers.

Largely anonymous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Promising when played in CM, shocking when played RW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Cheers.

Nice footballer, definitely talented but I'd say a bit like our other big signings, over awed at the start at the level of expectations. Had a few decent games around December/January but I'm a bit disappointed in the last couple of appearances, probably our poorest player on Sunday.

I've a notion he'll learn a lot from Gerrard playing along side him, maybe slightly over awed since he came back and that might explain the last couple of appearances.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Cheers.

I think, although he was overpriced, I've seen enough to think he could be a very good player for us for 10 years. Happy to have him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Overpriced and since we bought him Kenny and Co have made some very bizarre decisions. He's definitely got the talent but he has been handled very badly by Kenny which hopefully won't set him back to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I feel bad for them, but that 3rd og had me in stitches!!

How about we wait and see where we are in 12/24 months with Henderson?.

9 months ago everyone was telling me he was a right winger when i was a saying he was a centre mid. I think the penny has dropped and he will continue to play central. Lets give the guy a chance to settle in midfield, he is only 21 and nearly played 100 prem games. By all accounts he has a great attitude and is a very good professional and will play wherever the manager asks. He is regularly in the top 2 in our team for ground covered, his effort for the team isnt a question. While not controlling games, he plays simple passes, keeps things ticking over.

At the end of next season he will only be 22, crazy idea :rolleyes: but how about cutting the young man some slack and letting him mature a bit in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Cheers.

Limited player IMO.

He has youth on his side but i can't see him becoming anything more than a useful squad player.

I'm surprised to hear that he's been better in the centre of midfield, I've always thought he performed better for us on the right hand side of midfied (as did the majority of Sunderland fans) but in fairness I suppose Bruce, Capello and Dalglish know a slight bit more than myself and other Sunderland fans :pac:

I could definitely seen him learning a lot from Gerrard. There's no better player to learn from in that CM role to be honest. To put it into context though, at the same age as Henderson, Gerrard had played over 120 games for Liverpool in all competitions scoring 15 goals (from my quick calculations, could be slightly more or less) and he had played . Madness really, just proves how good Gerrard was/is.

Can you see Henderson developing into a player good enough to play week in, week out for you based on his ability rather than say, the price that was paid for him?

EDIT - Just seen the last question I posed already answered by a few in previous posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I'm surprised to hear that he's been better in the centre of midfield, I've always thought he performed better for us on the right hand side of midfied (as did the majority of Sunderland fans) but in fairness I suppose Bruce, Capello and Dalglish know a slight bit more than myself and other Sunderland fans :pac:

I could definitely seen him learning a lot from Gerrard. There's no better player to learn from in that CM role to be honest. To put it into context though, at the same age as Henderson, Gerrard had played over 120 games for Liverpool in all competitions scoring 15 goals (from my quick calculations, could be slightly more or less) and he had played . Madness really, just proves how good Gerrard was/is.

Can you see Henderson developing into a player good enough to play week in, week out for you based on his ability rather than say, the price that was paid for him?

EDIT - Just seen the last question I posed already answered by a few in previous posts.

I don't think it's fair to compare him to Gerrard.

Different types of players.

Henderson will be a good signing for us over the next few years.

In fairness to Dalglish, he has steady the ship big time. Although none of his signings have been excellent, the players he has bought provide a good base for going forward.

When you look at the most successful teams in England over the last few years, they all had a backbone of British + Irish talent apart from maybe Rafa's CL team, but that team disintegrated fairly quickly.

I think Kenny wanted to put that base of players in place to build for the future. So over the next 5/6 years the team will be built around players like Gerrard, Downing, Carroll, Adam, Henderson, Kelly, Johnson, Sterling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement