Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staff Meetings : What is the format in your school?

• 27-05-2014 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

We have our end of year staff meeting on Friday.
    We were disappointed to learn that we have a "speaker" in for a good part of the meeting. We have been asked to submit in writing (and sign) any issue we would like to discuss at the meeting, which may or may not be discussed depending on time.
    We have had so little time this year for proper "staff meetings" and our principal always seems to have something slotted in where we have so little time to discuss issues.
    I am wondering how it works in other schools for the end of the year?
    Do you have a proper staff meeting where you discuss things?
    How are items put on the agenda?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    We have our end of year staff meeting on Friday.
    We were disappointed to learn that we have a "speaker" in for a good part of the meeting. We have been asked to submit in writing (and sign) any issue we would like to discuss at the meeting, which may or may not be discussed depending on time.
    We have had so little time this year for proper "staff meetings" and our principal always seems to have something slotted in where we have so little time to discuss issues.
    I am wondering how it works in other schools for the end of the year?
    Do you have a proper staff meeting where you discuss things?
    How are items put on the agenda?

We also have plenty of speakers. We seem to spend a lot of time on organisational matters (eg summer exams) but the schedule and rules are given to us in writing so I don't understand why we need to discuss it. We submit ideas to management in writing but don't always get to them. We put our issues in a box in the main office during the week preceding a meeting. Some cynical members of staff suggest that enough time is wasted on organisational matters so that the controversial stuff is never gotten to. I don't really know if I agree- we so rarely have anything controversial. It drives me crazy that the same people argue every single little point (eg should we not have 32 seats instead of 30 in each room for summer exams in case the sun is shining and blinding students or something equally as scintillating and important.) They seem to speak for the sake of it and contribute little to nothing... I could tell you now who will speak this Friday. It won't be me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

About a week before the staff meeting the principal puts an agenda our noticeboard and he might have a few things on it, but there's always a notice attached to it asking us to add to the agenda for the meeting and to be fair we always get to discuss the stuff that we put on the agenda. We don't have speakers in for staff meetings, they are kept separate.

We also have people who love the sound of their own voice and will argue that black is white just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Have been in a lot of different schools for end of yr staff meetings and never once had an external speaker in
    Mostly have listened to people b**ch and moan and argue over which day to start back on. Thank god we have it sorted already this yr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

Last day meetings should be short and sweet. Thanks a million you had a great year enjoy the summer.

40 plus tired teachers being detained on a Friday afternoon with tests to correct. Thats inviting bitterness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

meeting Friday afternoon!!!! that's just insanity.

Generally we get to stick in an AOB during the week which gives people a chance to air their thoughts. Sometimes I wonder though wouldn't it be better to get someone in from SESS and we could maybe do some case studies and group work to learn stuff.

Cant complain though.. I love a good fight when it happens. I'm thinking of handing out these on friday in memory of our last meeting...

hot_air_hand_dryer_tshirts-reefe8006f6434a1e9936cfd506c8fc88_804gy_324.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Was there a hand drier issue?

Close...what comes out of the hand drier? (This is all on topic btw)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

Wet t-shirt competition I'd say... Staff bonding and all that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,974 ✭✭✭doc_17

We never have one on the last day. But our format or all meetings is that the principal sends around an agenda and we can bring stuff up in AOB. Bringing speakers in is, for the most part, a waste of time. But in the last day? Nobody will care what they are saying.

Hot air !!

• Advertisement

Hot air !!

Correct !

It's like catchphrase !

Advertisement