Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

subbing during the PME

• 26-05-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

when doing the PME is it possible to get subbing from the school. I know you have to be registered now with the teaching council to get paid so if I registered under strand 5- the further education part would that suffice. That is the only strand I could register under as I would not yet be a qualified post primary teacher until the pme is done.

Is it normal for the dips to get a few classes to sub i.e if a teacher was out sick for a day?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

No it would not be ok.
    You would not be qualified. Why do you feel entitled to subbing?
    There are hundreds upon hundreds of qualified teachers who are unemployed and need subbing to get on the all-important employment ladder.
    Thankfully, I think most schools/ETBs and principals would not consider giving work to someone unqualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Unfortunately some PME students have got registered under further ed. I think the deadline has passed for any more to get registered . Thank goodness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    No it would not be ok.
    There are hundreds upon hundreds of qualified teachers who are unemployed and need subbing to get on the all-important employment ladder.
    Thankfully, I think most schools/ETBs and principals would not consider giving work to someone unqualified.

Bit harsh really. They didn't ask was it ok they asked was it possible.

In fairness it was a thing that happened in the past and now with two years to find its tough for people so you can see why people would be asking. I'm not saying it's right I'm saying I can see why they are asking however your post is totally unnecessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

In our school PME students are kept very busy with subbing this year. They are in the school and available, so they can get the DP out of a fix and short notice. Qualified teachers not on full hours would generally be given the work first, but there's plenty in our school at the minute to go around.

And there are plenty of qualified teachers sitting around at home ready to head to a school at the drop of a hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Wow what negative replies !
    You should be able to get some hours but I wouldn't be expecting or relying on them ...
    Can't believe the responses, I'm sure these above past teachers turned down any subbing during their dip so, And asked for senior staff to be given it? .. I DONT THINK SO !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MontyChips

I didn't get any when I did the hdip. Although I knew friends who did! It didn't bother me too much because I thought it was right that qualified teachers who can't find permanent work got these hours.

MontyChips wrote: »
    I didn't get any when I did the hdip. Although I knew friends who did! It didn't bother me too much because I thought it was right that qualified teachers who can't find permanent work got these hours.

I didn't get any subbing on teaching practice either. I didn't expect any either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

I got loads of subbing and supervision during my dip. I was really lucky but teachers were in shorter supply. My current school has given the very odd class to a dip student. Most planned absences are covered by a teacher qualified in the appropriate subject. Retirees mop up the rest. I don't know if a true unqualified person has even darkened the door. I think this system works quite well and if an absence is last-minute or a qualified sub can't be found, I would much prefer see a PME student given the work over Mary-Jo's cousin from down the road. They are at least working towards their qualification.
    I am neither permanent nor on full hours by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    No it would not be ok.

ETBs do employ unqualified people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    ETBs do employ unqualified people.

Hence my use of the word "most".
    The ETB I work in has hired unqualified people in the past but are very stringent on qualifications now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

If I have a teacher who is willing to commit to the school for a maternity leave or sick leave on less than full hours I think they deserve first shout on the hours to bring them up to a decent wage. After that its people on contracts nearer to full hours and after that I'll look outside.

IT works well in our school. I have posted here before about how difficult it can be to get a subject qualified subfor a day or two. Theres a difference in registered and qualified.

Advertisement