Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ASTI to ballot on Strike (JC)

• 25-05-2014 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

The Asti CEC yesterday voted to ballot members on continuing Industrial action up to and including strike. The including strike bit is new. Twice before CEC/Convention rejected the strike option as an attachment to Jc action. The thinking was if members would not vote for strike over HR-then why the Jc.

However King pointed out the TUI have that option. With September approaching with English teachers in firing line-it was felt that we needed an action that was inclusive ie-takes in all teachers.

Just not teaching English course is not a legal option.
    You would not be talking all out. Personally I think at this stage it will pass. A few days action over JC would escalate action and get media focus. I was cynical about lunchtime protest but it did create a buzz.

Anyway -its up to you the lumpen proletariat to decide. Im being tongue in cheek on the lumpen bit-well not totally!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

When will the balloting be taking place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

September Early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

It should have been part of the original ballot. I think the unions are getting a sense that there is some chance of winning this one so they are prepared to push harder.

Its a poor reason imo. It should have been blocked from day one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

It should have been part of the original ballot. I think the unions are getting a sense that there is some chance of winning this one so they are prepared to push harder.

Its a poor reason imo. It should have been blocked from day one.

At the time of original ballot thinking was you wouldnt get members to vote for strike on JC if they wouldnt do it on pay. But Pat king said he needed it in his arsenal so at least he is on board and not acting like a fifth column this time. TUI have strike ballot option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Just not teaching English course is not a legal option.
    Why is this the case? I really think striking over this is overkill. I think the best way to oppose the new junior cert is to proceed as though it's not happening and continue teaching the old course in the old way. Striking will just get the public even more against us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Its not so much of a strike...but the threat of a strike...I think it would be a nice way to give a certain minister a hint that his time is up come the next reshufflerooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

RealJohn wrote: »
    Why is this the case? I really think striking over this is overkill. I think the best way to oppose the new junior cert is to proceed as though it's not happening and continue teaching the old course in the old way. Striking will just get the public even more against us.

It's the law. The Education Act of 1998 obliges schools to provide the curriculum that is set by the Department. Not teaching the new English curriculum would put teachers of English at risk of being sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

RealJohn wrote: »

Not teaching the new course constitutes strike action! Support your English teachers who will be in a very difficult situation in September. We need the option for strike even if it's only used as a threat in negotiations

Advertisement