Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your supervisor like?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

Ours is grand! He's very laid back and pleasant. He doesn't seem to mind us opening our papers early or writing after the time up which is a big plus especially in the likes of geography :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 LowEndFreq

I've heard some mad stories about some supervisors... like going out to the jacks, and even one going over to the window to light up a smoke!!!

TOTALLY can't be true, can they?!

Although this was in my dads day.. so around 40 years ago....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Don't really like our one. One lad was desperately trying to finish his exam and rather than go around the room and collect everyone elses and collect his last she just grabbed it off him. Then in another exam the minute one lad sat down he started writting down all the quotes he knew before he forgot them (which you are allowed to do) and she got him to scribble it out in his answer booklet and told him don't think of the quotes until the time starts she paused and then goes ''I wont report you...this time''

Just seems far too by the book and strict. I am jealous of everyone here mentioning their examers giving them extra minutes and whatever because our one literally grabs the paper off us.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

Don't really like our one. One lad was desperately trying to finish his exam and rather than go around the room and collect everyone elses and collect his last she just grabbed it off him. Then in another exam the minute one lad sat down he started writting down all the quotes he knew before he forgot them (which you are allowed to do) and she got him to scribble it out in his answer booklet and told him don't think of the quotes until the time starts she paused and then goes ''I wont report you...this time''

Just seems far too by the book and strict. I am jealous of everyone here mentioning their examers giving them extra minutes and whatever because our one literally grabs the paper off us.

that's NOT EXCEPTABLE on the supervisors behalf!!!!
    wtf?
    they need to think back to their lc days!!
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

and started measuring the room with his feet during h.ec yesterday had to cover my face i was pissing myself laughing!

eh ya my supervisor did the same???started from one wall and walked to the other one foot in front of the other??i just looked around me and everyone was in stiches?!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jiggy

Our guy is kinda old not yet grandpa soiled himself again old but old
    He seems like a good teacher since he gave all his attention to the on guy who is going for 600 for the rest of us average joe's he is alright just doesn't let you pee in the last half hour and also will stop you drinking if he thinks your going to the toilet too much xD

I have the advantage of wearing old glasses and having the sun shine on the clock so i have to squint my eyes and lean forward to see the time and when i look down he 's looking right back as if im a clock xD

Keep asking him for graph paper cause he writes the time on it xD twas funny asking for graph paper in english :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Choc123

were so lucky,our examiner doesnt stop us,i wrote for 8 mionutes extra in geog and my best friend went 14mins over in english on his own cos e doesn really care,cant wait to get 15 mins more dan every1 else in business!!!
    oh and es got a bladder problem goes to the jacks towice an exam but our teacher comes in 2 supervisor mind u e started helping one guy durin english as e is his english teacher

Choc123 wrote: »
    were so lucky,our examiner doesnt stop us,i wrote for 8 mionutes extra in geog and my best friend went 14mins over in english on his own cos e doesn really care,cant wait to get 15 mins more dan every1 else in business!!!
    oh and es got a bladder problem goes to the jacks towice an exam but our teacher comes in 2 supervisor mind u e started helping one guy durin english as e is his english teacher

not cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Our cd broke during the Irish listening and she didn't know how to change the discs or work the CD player lol.

She spent about 5 minutes trying to fix it while we were all cracking up laughing, eventually she went to the door and you could hear her whisper "shane get the ginger guy, the feckin' cd broke". She then walked back to the cd player and started hitting the buttons again and she whispered to herself "i've ****ed up now" lol :D

edit: **** just realised this is the LC forum, I was talking about JC lol

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

RMD wrote: »
    Our cd broke during the Irish listening and she didn't know how to change the discs or work the CD player lol.

She spent about 5 minutes trying to fix it while we were all cracking up laughing, eventually she went to the door and you could hear her whisper "shane get the ginger guy, the feckin' cd broke". She then walked back to the cd player and started hitting the buttons again and she whispered to herself "i've ****ed up now" lol :D

edit: **** just realised this is the LC forum, I was talking about JC lol

Jeez you scared me, thought I had mixed the Irish and Maths exams up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Peleus wrote: »
    Hey Diarmsquid, saw this post in The Times today
    :D

Yeah, I saw it too. Cool or what?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Ck1989

My supervisor's really nice, starts on the dot but doesn't grab our papers off us at the end or anything. Just says "Ok, finish up now" -really easy going.

He keeps looking at me every time I drink my Lucozade (daily exam breakfast!) 'cause he knows that once it's all gone i'll be asking to go to the bathroom! So knowing... Don't really like the way supervisors write the time you went to the bathroom on your paper. What if someone was just really constipated and then their examiner thought they were cheating cos they were gone so long? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Choc123

i no loads who have gone to de bathroon and cheated last week,its easily done.

ya,

theres people in my hall who leave EVERY EXAM, within the first 30mins without fail!

but it won't be noticed
    cause different examiners correct the papers!

however, if one examiner corrected all their test, then it would be noticed!

cheating is lying to yourself!
    *boos it*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 IHATECHEMISTRY

Ours is amaaaazing! Really sound, gave us an extra two minutes in english paper one and everything!:D
    Bit of a problem though, hes an absolute BEAUT...sooo hes proving a MAJOR distraction

who knew the department would actuallly hire attractive examiners...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

laura* wrote: »
    ya,

theres people in my hall who leave EVERY EXAM, within the first 30mins without fail!

but it won't be noticed
    cause different examiners correct the papers!

however, if one examiner corrected all their test, then it would be noticed!

Speaking as someone who has corrected, it's very obvious who has left after 30 minutes. Failing to complete questions/the paper is the number one cause of failure in all subjects at all levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭keefs08

Ours is grand he wont stop clearing his throat though its a bit annoying!!he finishes dead on the time at the end even if we start a little late which is a total pain!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

spurious wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who has corrected, it's very obvious who has left after 30 minutes. Failing to complete questions/the paper is the number one cause of failure in all subjects at all levels.

she meant going to the toilets every exam for 30 mins to cheat. not leaving the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I had the same guy for the junior and for the leaving. Soundest guy ever. We started a little early sometimes and if we needed a few minutes more we could have it. During the junior he just used to slip in the earphones and take out some official manual....but behind it he was reading "a guide to Italy". For the leaving cert he was even more laid back (and he didn't bother to hide what he was actually reading either:D). He was rather easy going for the old aural sections as well!

my one started reading a polish dictionary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

our guy is sound out, old and a bit doddery if theres such a word, very proud of his 1985 nissan sunny! :) he hadnt got maths tables in his big box friday morning, was convinced he was goin to keel over with a heart-attack...when we asked if he had graph paper, it was like the final nail in the coffin :D we got em eventually...ten minutes late! couldnt ask for nicer imho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Our one's a bit weird. The first day she asked "now is anyone changing levels". No one was so she replied "good" kind of menacingly. Made me nervous about changing to pass chemistry the next day I'll tell ya.

She was a right b*tch during English paper 2 though. Asked us who our most studied poet was and when most said "Rich" she smiled and said "well what's your second most studied." Wouldnt give us the paper then til exactly half past. I nearly collapsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

People seem to be getting all sorts of concessions. So much for a fair system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

Asked us who our most studied poet was and when most said "Rich" she smiled and said "well what's your second most studied."

:pac: legend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

I'm positive ours cannot tell time. She says "5 mis left.." then lets people stay on if they ned to! I stayed for an extra 5 mins at least for English Paper2, almost 10 for Geography and nearly the same for Business!

And none of the times did she even ask me to leave, i left of my own accord!!!! Crazy!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

Our guy is ridiculous. Hes this huge fat old guy, who can barely breathe.

At random points in the exams he just suddenly starts breathing heavily like hes about to collapse. He also didnt know how to work the CD in the aural and a student had to do it.

We call him Biscuits cuz he eats like a pack of biscuits a day

MattD wrote: »
    Our guy is ridiculous. Hes this huge fat old guy, who can barely breathe.

At random points in the exams he just suddenly starts breathing heavily like hes about to collapse. He also didnt know how to work the CD in the aural and a student had to do it.

We call him Biscuits cuz he eats like a pack of biscuits a day

i loled

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

mines nice and friendly,asks how we got on lets us give up the papers when ready---was a bit flustered today when the tape stalled --so was i to be honest lol it repeated what i needed to hear yay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

SRFC90 wrote: »
    I'm positive ours cannot tell time. She says "5 mis left.." then lets people stay on if they ned to! I stayed for an extra 5 mins at least for English Paper2, almost 10 for Geography and nearly the same for Business!

And none of the times did she even ask me to leave, i left of my own accord!!!! Crazy!!!!:eek:

As per, our glorious examiner allowed me and a few students 10 extra minutes for the French written for no apparent reason!!!

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to be a 'spoil sport' or whatever
    but i honestly think its so unfair people are getting extra time
    to finish exams!

like it's supposed to be the same for everyone!
    and i really could have done with extra time for business,
    i know other would have loved more time for others too!

but if we all did get the ACTUAL same time
    tests might be marked a little easier
    and that, cause all the examiners will see how hard it was for people to complete the papers etc.

instead now,
    they see more people then there WOULD HAVE BEEN
    finished it etc

You understand what i mean?

the real solution is the majority just
    need more time
    cause we know the stuff
    and it's so fustrating not being able to write it on the day!

Advertisement