Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaisce Adventure Recommendations

Options
  • 06-07-2014 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys! Any good recommendations for the Gaisce Adventure? Somewhere in the midlands would be preferable!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Shanobadur wrote: »
    Hi guys! Any good recommendations for the Gaisce Adventure? Somewhere in the midlands would be preferable!
    Thanks

I would suggest doing something cost-free! Our Gaisce group went to Killary for 3 days and it cost well over €100 p/p (food, hostel room, showers etc) were included in that but it was very expensive. Not all activities are included in that package either, you choose 2 activities you would like to repeatedly do over the 3 days for that price. While it was good and good craic it wasn't worth the money. It may have gone up in price in recent years, that was about 4/5 years ago now.
    The year after our trip the Bronze awardees went to the Slieve Bloom Mts, if you're in the midlands that's close by, free and you could pitch a tent. There is new walkways in the Slieve Bloom Mts. Also Silver River is somewhere in the midlands, that's free and similar enough to Slieve Bloom. Lough Boora parklands is another good one.
    If you were willing to travel a bit further than the midlands any island, mountain, walk or cycle way would pretty much do to carry out a hike or cycle. Other than that any adventure centre, but they're very costly!

Best of luck! Gaisce is always good craic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fitzy211

we went to delphi adventure centre for 3 nights, it was great craic, i would definitely recommend it :D, cant remember what we paid for it, but the price included other activities, like we did rock climbing, zipwire and stuff, there was kayaking and othre watersports as well that we were supposed to do but the weather was too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

If you were able to take the journey down to Kerry, I'd highly recommend walking the Kerry Way from Templenoe to Killarney and stay the night in Kenmare. We did it as part of our Gaisce and even though it was pretty tough (26km as far as I remember), we all really enjoyed it. The walk is absolutely magnificent and the views are something else altogether!

Advertisement