Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raymond Chandler - how does he compare to modern crime novels?

Options
  • 16-08-2014 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭

I've been reading quite a bit of Raymond Chandler lately. Just wondering what the general perception of him is as an author.
    Personally I have mixed feelings; some novels are superb (like The Big Sleep and The Long Goodbye), others are less impressive. But Marlowe, as a character was utterly memorable.

Modern day crime novels are obviously very different, the genre has totally changed. But do the stories match Chandler's, and are the protagonists as memorable?
    And if so, which writers are the modern-day Chandlers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Went through most of Chandler's work recently, and would be curious for some recommendations too.

Really enjoy his writing style, the use of figurative language and terse prose. That's not to say anything about Marlowe himself (the Galahad of the gutter), and his abrasive/wise cracking interactions with other characters.

Checked out the Maltese Falcon, but the things I liked most about Chandler's work were missing from Hammett's writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Try the Spenser Novels by Robert B Parker , He was obviously influenced by Chandler.There is also a definite Chandler influence in Michael Connellys Harry Bosch novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Robert Crais does the wise cracking LA private eye very well. His Elvis Cole novels are well worth checking out.

Also Ross MacDonald was the next great crime novelist after Chandler and Hammett. He was mainly published in the 50’s and 60’s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Reading Hammet's Red Harvest, enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Adding Denis Lehane's McKenzie novels to the list. Ticking all the boxes for me.

Also Altered Carbon, by Richard Morgan is worth a mention. Writing is of a very high quality, and the Cyberpunk setting provides an interesting backdrop for a detective novel.

• Advertisement

Adding Denis Lehane's McKenzie novels to the list. Ticking all the boxes for me.

Also Altered Carbon, by Richard Morgan is worth a mention. Writing is of a very high quality, and the Cyberpunk setting provides an interesting backdrop for a detective novel.

Kenzie

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭yknaa

Walter Mosley's character Easy Rawlins reminds me of Chandler's moralistic heroes. Good books and a great style. Saying that, I haven't read one in ages!

yknaa wrote: »
    Walter Mosley's character Easy Rawlins reminds me of Chandler's moralistic heroes. Good books and a great style. Saying that, I haven't read one in ages!

Got the first one of that series for Christmas.Looking forward to reading it.

Even the title and the cover of the book were Chandleresque that's what attracted me to it.

Advertisement