Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Tablet S update to ICS

Options
  • 02-05-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Sony have officially released ICS for their tablet S. So far I've had no joy in getting it to update, it's meant to prompt you once it connects to wifi.

Has anyone got the update yet or is it a case of a slow roll out by Sony? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Afaik ICS is US only at the moment, the EU update is due at somepoint this month.

How are you getting on with the tablet?
    I picked up a 16GB sd for it yesterday only to find out it's not supported by the native apps.
    Why the remote app doesn't do macros is beyond me and a proprietary charger instead of micro usb is just stupid imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

54kroc wrote: »
    Afaik ICS is US only at the moment, the EU update is due at somepoint this month.

I picked up a 16GB sd for it yesterday only to find out it's not supported by the native apps.
    Why the remote app doesn't do macros is beyond me and a proprietary charger instead of micro usb is just stupid imo.
    Most Tablets have a proprietary charger at this stage. Even if they do charge over the USB port, it takes ages, hence the proprietary port.

Most Tablets have a proprietary charger at this stage. Even if they do charge over the USB port, it takes ages, hence the proprietary port.

My ipad charged fine over usb, which tablets don't charge over usb?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

My ipad charged fine over usb, which tablets don't charge over usb?

iPads and iPhones use a proprietry USB connector, most Android phones use a MicroUSB standard connector

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    iPads and iPhones use a proprietry USB connector, most Android phones use a MicroUSB standard connector

Nick

I'm well aware what what connectors ipad, iphone and android devices use.
    The ipad/iphone cable has a usb plug on the other end which plugs into a usb socket like all the android phones I've had.
    The point I'm making is sony don't give you this option with the tablet s.
    I know sony love using proprietary stuff on their devices but I don't buy the reasons they gave for the tablet s charger.

I don't mind how the cable attaches to the device, I can live with it but the option to charge via usb is a must imo.

Anyway I guess it doesn't really matter to me anymore, as good as android is on the phones where I think it's surpassed ios, On tablets it's a long way off being as fluid and usable as ios on an ipad, so I've already sold my tablet s to switch back to an ipad.

Sorry op for going off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

Thanks for that. I really like the tablet's wedge-shaped design, very comfortable for extended use and nice to see a manufacturer do something different. Generally I'm very happy I went with the Sony. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

The update should happen around May 10th. The update will give you direct access to the SD card (video on YouTube)

I'm guessing the battery in the Tablet S is much bigger than a phone so would take too long to charge over USB. Not much different to other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

Dazzling D wrote: »
    The update should happen around May 10th. The update will give you direct access to the SD card (video on YouTube)

I'm guessing the battery in the Tablet S is much bigger than a phone so would take too long to charge over USB. Not much different to other brands.

Still no sign of ICS for me :(

anyone in ireland have it yet for sony tablet s?

No sign of an update yet! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ICS Update Available for following locations:
    1. US
    2. Malaysia
    3. Thailand
    4. Indonesia
    5. Canada
    6. Mexico
    7. Japan

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1633056

Lots waiting, just like us Xperia S users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

ICS update out today, just after upgrading my Sony S, looks a lot better now :D

Thanks for the heads up. I know what I'll be doing as soon as I get home! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Just updated there, first impression is: a lot faster! :D browser is faster too, and the small apps feature is actualy really handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just updated there, first impression is: a lot faster! :D browser is faster too, and the small apps feature is actualy really handy.
    It's a big improvement all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Good to hear, fingers crossed for us S users.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Awesome update. Have been seeing new features all day

Advertisement