Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptop with Linux

Options
  • 29-10-2008 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm considering buying a new Dell laptop like this...
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop_studio_17?c=ie&l=en

I do not want to get Windows Vista. However, from looking at the dell website there dosen't seem to be an option to remove it. Will a Linux OS like Ubuntu work ok with this? I wouldn't bother with a dual boot, I'll just remove windows and have Linux on it. Any issues with drivers etc..? Potential problems to look out for? Will an O2 3G usb modem work ok with this setup?

Would love to hear people experiences...

Cheers...
    Jon

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Your link is a 404. Google the model number and linux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

There is some sort of possibilty of getting a refund by rejecting the Vista EULA when it comes up (on the first time you start the OS). Ive heard people getting refunds from Dell, but I don't know how easy or common it is, google it and see what you find.

Ubunutu is pretty good in terms of drivers and compatibility these days. You won't get any tech support from Dell though. Even if its a hardware-related problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Google "windows tax dell" and you should come up with a good few experiences.

The newest Ubuntu (officially released tomorrow -- 8.10) works out of the box with 3 mobile broadband (I'm using the 169g right now).

Advertisement