Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vostro laptop from Dell

• 28-10-2008 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Just about to pull the trigger on one of these (1710 model number) for about €700 - need to use it for spreadsheets while travelling.

Any thoughts / suggestions on whether or not this is a good deal??

One thing I find strange is that the 1510 seems to be cheaper than the 1710 - why would this be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If it's for travelling i wouldn't get anything above a 15.4" tbh, that 17" machine is a bit of a beast, and not really designed to be a road warrior. The 1510 is a grand machine, had one at home for a couple of weeks, (was a friends), and thought it was a lovely machine to use.
    You'll need to be more specific about which one you went for as there are varying specs for the vostro machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

If it's for travelling i wouldn't get anything above a 15.4" tbh, that 17" machine is a bit of a beast, and not really designed to be a road warrior.

+1

Although I would go further and say 14.1 inch is the largest I'd recommend for traveling.
    My 15.4 inch Inspiron has been on a few train journeys with me and it was just too bulky and impractical. One day I had my girlfriends 14.1 inch Dell and it was much, much better. More compact, easier to cart around and the screen size was grand.

If you want any sort of battery life on your journeys it may be wise to go for the intel integrated graphics on whatever laptop you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Need at least the 15 inch to be able to view the spreadsheet properly.

What about the Dell Vostro in general as a choice?

Also, what about Dell vs Toshiba etc?

And, are Dell due to have any sales soon that I can take advantage of?

Thanks for all the replies....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Need at least the 15 inch to be able to view the spreadsheet properly.

What about the Dell Vostro in general as a choice?

Also, what about Dell vs Toshiba etc?

And, are Dell due to have any sales soon that I can take advantage of?

Thanks for all the replies....:D

I like the look of the vostro, and the reviews I've read have been positive.
    Seems to be reasonable value too.

The presence of the Nvidia 8400M graphics card is a concern. Avoid it like the plague. See http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055340806 for details.
    You have the option of the Intel X3100 graphics, take that.

I'm not well versed on other brands when it comes to 15 inch screen laptops. Several people I know have been disappointed with the quality of recent Dell's (poor build quality, failing components), so it might be worth looking at other brands. Lenovo have the best reputation from what I've read.

Dabs has an excellent range of laptops - http://www.dabs.ie/productlist.aspx?&CategorySelectedId=11105&NavigationKey=11105&PageMode=1

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

X3100 seems to be included in the price, the NVDIA is an extra €70. Total price working out at €610.
    RichyX wrote: »
    I like the look of the vostro, and the reviews I've read have been positive.
    Seems to be reasonable value too.

The presence of the Nvidia 8400M graphics card is a concern. Avoid it like the plague. See http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055340806 for details.
    You have the option of the Intel X3100 graphics, take that.

I'm not well versed on other brands when it comes to 15 inch screen laptops. Several people I know have been disappointed with the quality of recent Dell's (poor build quality, failing components), so it might be worth looking at other brands. Lenovo have the best reputation from what I've read.

Dabs has an excellent range of laptops - http://www.dabs.ie/productlist.aspx?&CategorySelectedId=11105&NavigationKey=11105&PageMode=1

• Advertisement
Advertisement