Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can he be registered for the rest of the Nextgen series I wonder? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

opr wrote: »
    Signing one of the best players from a team at u19 level who showed in the Nextgen series they are probably on a par if not better than Barcelona u19 team for £1m. That is bloody amazing business in my eyes. Honestly some of the football I watched Sporting play was out of this world and this guy was at the heart of things.

Edit - I really hope we have struck up some kind of relationship with Sporting.

Opr

Iirc, United have some sort of arrangement with them in the same way we do with Nacional

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Twitter rumour by Jim Boardman, we have entered talks with Napoli for Edison Cavani....how true who knows just don't shoot the messenger just read it on my timeline there!

I can't possibly imagine cavani leaving this window to join us while Napoli are preparing for the knockout stages of the champions league, would command a huge fee that I can't see us parting with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Hoki wrote: »
    I can't possibly imagine cavani leaving this window to join us while Napoli are preparing for the knockout stages of the champions league, would command a huge fee that I can't see us parting with.

Just deleted post was bollix, was decoy to get people onto web page to sign Anne Williams petition....my bad quiet day & I got over excited at the thoughts of Cavani & Suarez at LFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Iirc, United have some sort of arrangement with them in the same way we do with Nacional

That ended a while back due to a falling out. This article says City hoped to get a deal going with them but I don't remember ever hearing anything about it happening ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/11/manchester-city-partnership-sporting-lisbon
    City have moved in after learning that United's arrangement with Sporting had expired and that relations between Old Trafford and the Estádio José Alvalade have never been fully repaired since the clubs fell out two years ago over the Portugal international Miguel Veloso.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Hoki wrote: »

Just deleted post was bollix, was decoy to get people onto web page to sign Anne Williams petition....my bad quiet day & I got over excited at the thoughts of Cavani & Suarez at LFC

saw that myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

http://www.facebook.com/Jeremy.Lfc360

Are commenting on the deal. I know a few here follow them on fb and twitter, they are up there with any lfc orientated sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Our marquee signing sorted then.

Edit: I think Grobbelar may have misunderstood Kenny!:D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

IKEA don't do stadiums, but if they did..

anfiueld-stadium-plans-image-2-731042704.jpg

According to the Liverpool Echo, this will be it subject to a few tweaks. £300m, 60,000 seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

hi

• Advertisement

tommyhaas wrote: »

[IMG][/img]http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/liverpoolecho/jan2012/9/1/anfiueld-stadium-plans-image-2-731042704.jpg

According to the Liverpool Echo, this will be it subject to a few tweaks. £300m, 60,000 seat

Not bad. I suppose the less cost it takes, the less debt will be on the books to get it. Welcome to the Standard Chartered stadia will take a bit of getting used to though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

anfiueld-stadium-plans-image-2-731042704.jpg

What's the source for this? can't find it on their site.

What was wrong with the last design? It was fairly funky.

Will this mean another round of planning etc?

Actually that is the original Parry Bowl you have pasted in there no?

AFL-2-a.jpg

Seeing reports of this...

spockety wrote: »

The H&G one was costing too much money reportedly. Planning appears to be akay on either stadia, going on the press.

spockety wrote: »

Actually that is the original Parry Bowl you have pasted in there no?

AFL-2-a.jpg

Seeing reports of this...

The design you have there is done by the same architect's, but that's the New Generation design that holds 72,000. The one the Echo are reporting is the original First Generation design that holds 60,000. You can see more details of it on the AFL website

The report says that planning doesn't need to be obtained again, hence why they're only making small tweaks within the current design

I just saw the link to it on the BBC gossip column and the picture i posted was from the Echo, but the site won't load for me now for some reason, though it was grand 15 minutes ago. This is the link anyway;

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/01/17/liverpool-fc-reject-tom-hicks-and-george-gillett-stadium-plans-and-return-to-original-new-anfield-designs-100252-30139849/

EDIT: The links working now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

The-Rigger wrote: »
    hi

If your coming in here you better be bringing some ITK spectacular nuggets of truth. :)

However, the club is continuing to look at the option of staying where they are with the development of the AFL scheme in Stanley Park running alongside the prospect of a refurbishment of Anfield - but such a decision is proving increasingly difficult, so the main focus of the club remains a new build.

That seems odd. Maybe that was the stadium share idea that they swiftly scrapped?

from the echo article
    However, the club is continuing to look at the option of staying where they are with the development of the AFL scheme in Stanley Park running alongside the prospect of a refurbishment of Anfield - but such a decision is proving increasingly difficult, so the main focus of the club remains a new build.

What does this imply? spending money on Anfield while a new stadium goes up or what? I'm confussed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

K-9 wrote: »
    That seems odd. Maybe that was the stadium share idea that they swiftly scrapped?

[/COLOR][/LEFT]
    mike65 wrote: »
    from the echo article

What does this imply? spending money on Anfield while a new stadium goes up or what? I'm confussed!

Makes zero sense to me :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Great to see that there is wise investment still in the acadamy. Hopefully we'll see the rewards over the next few years. Should cover up for some of the wasted millions signed in the first team...

Anyone know whether Teixira has played for Sporting first team yet? At 19, hopefully Kenny will draft him in soon..

• Advertisement

The whole reason for moving is obviously to enable the club to increase revenues in order to compete with the likes of Utd, however personally I believe that if they went ahead with these plans they'd be ignoring what to me would be a major priority in the factors to consider in deciding on a design

Tickets at the moment are outrageously expensive relative to Goodison, and these prices are obviously been driven by both the demand and need to compete. This ground is only increasing the capacity by 15,000 which isn't really a huge amount. Obviously a big factor in the design is the corporate boxes, I'm not sure of the exact number in the new design but you can be guaranteed there'll be a hell of a lot more then in Anfield today, IIRC there's only about 25.

With the demand for tickets, and the size of the season ticket waiting list (even allowing for the drop in matchday ticket demand as those on the list get season tickets), I don't doubt that a 60,000 seater stadium could be sold out at present prices, however a bigger stadium with reduced prices in certain areas has the potential to make going to games far more affordable to far more people, specifically those from the area.

At present there's a huge amount of local people who can't afford to go, particularly younger lads, students and families. By making it affordable, the club would be doing a service to the community, while guaranteeing a new generation of match goers. It would also do wonders for the atmosphere, as groups of friends, families or supporters clubs could get batches of tickets together as oppose to all sitting apart

I realise of course that there's a inverse relationship between the cost of building seats higher up (obviously they'd need to build higher for a greater capacity) and the price these seats could be sold for, however as a once off investment, an investment that will most likely have a bearing on the club for the next 50 years, I think its an investment that would be justified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

from the echo article

I'd be sure enough that they mean that FSG haven't totally given up on the idea of an Anfield refurb, so are still looking at the possibilities there, while also assessing the new build option. Would suggest that despite what has been in the press recently, this isn't a totally done deal yet either way.

I'd assume they are comparing the area to the likes of Arsenal. It could be bigger but the cost does rise and you don't have the corporate market London has, plus Liverpool doesn't have the income of London either. Arsenal had the apartments to take a fair bit of their debt as well.

I wish I could remember the numbers but I think adding a tier for say another 10,000 adds about 20% to the costs. If they were full of cheaper priced seats (15-20 quid) it would be hard to justify. The long term effect of getting families, kids etc in would not be on the FSG balance sheet as they will almost certainly not be around for more than 12-15 years in my view.

I'd assume they are comparing the area to the likes of Arsenal. It could be bigger but the cost does rise and you don't have the corporate market London has, plus Liverpool doesn't have the income of London either. Arsenal had the apartments to take a fair bit of their debt as well.

Well in terms of the corporate market, I think there'd be a similar number of boxes regardless of the grounds capacity. Obviously the average wage is less in Liverpool then in London, however cheaper tickets in certain areas of the ground would be appealing to those unable to afford current prices, and in the long term could prove to be commercially as well as socially astute

I wish I could remember the numbers but I think adding a tier for say another 10,000 adds about 20% to the costs. If they were full of cheaper priced seats (15-20 quid) it would be hard to justify. The long term effect of getting families, kids etc in would not be on the FSG balance sheet as they will almost certainly not be around for more than 12-15 years in my view.

I don't think its that unrealistic. Working on extremely rough figures, 15,000 extra seats, at £15 per seat would generate roughly an increase in revenue of £5.6m/yr. With an increase in construction costs of 20%, that would work out as an extra £60m, which would pay dividend in 15-20 years, allowing for 25 home games per season and an additional cost of finance of £40m

Obviously there's the associated costs of running a bigger stadium, however this could be set off by savings through economies of scale and through the increase in alternative matchday revenues, such as merchandise, food and drink etc

• Advertisement

Well in terms of the corporate market, I think there'd be a similar number of boxes regardless of the grounds capacity. Obviously the average wage is less in Liverpool then in London, however cheaper tickets in certain areas of the ground would be appealing to those unable to afford current prices, and in the long term could prove to be commercially as well as socially astute

Hopefully they'd have some at a more affordable level but I'd tend to agree with Mike's post. They'll obviously weigh up the increased income from 15,000 seats and the extra cost attached. Arsenal did have apartment sales as well, turned out handy as they sold a load of them to get the debt down.

I'm sure they've thought of all of this when weighing up the options.

Hopefully they'd have some at a more affordable level but I'd tend to agree with Mike's post. They'll obviously weigh up the increased income from 15,000 seats and the extra cost attached. Arsenal did have apartment sales as well, turned out handy as they sold a load of them to get the debt down.

I'm sure they've thought of all of this when weighing up the options.

Their motives though are likely to be vastly different to ours. AFAIK, their long term aim is to make the club more successful both on and off the pitch in order to sell the club at some point in the future for a massive return. The extra seats won't really have much bearing on this aim, as the likelihood is they'll be gone before the commercial benefits of such a decision have matured, however it has the possibility to be a commercially viable option, if in the very long term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Their motives though are likely to be vastly different to ours. AFAIK, their long term aim is to make the club more successful both on and off the pitch in order to sell the club at some point in the future for a massive return. The extra seats won't really have much bearing on this aim, as the likelihood is they'll be gone before the commercial benefits of such a decision have matured, however it has the possibility to be a commercially viable option, if in the very long term

I would say the final decision has a lot to do with whoever and how big they sell the naming rights to .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Balls anyway, much prefered the H&G design. Looks like it's just going to be another generic arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Moussa sow to Fenerbache for 10 million euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

http://rafabenitez.com announces that Rafa Benitez has signed the petition for Kevin Williams. Justice for all Hillsborough victims.

https://twitter.com/#!/rafabenitezweb/status/159650221410877440

The man is a hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I don't think its that unrealistic. Working on extremely rough figures, 15,000 extra seats, at £15 per seat would generate roughly an increase in revenue of £5.6m/yr. With an increase in construction costs of 20%, that would work out as an extra £60m, which would pay dividend in 15-20 years, allowing for 25 home games per season and an additional cost of finance of £40m

Obviously there's the associated costs of running a bigger stadium, however this could be set off by savings through economies of scale and through the increase in alternative matchday revenues, such as merchandise, food and drink etc

£15 per seat ?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't think there will be any seats at the £10-£15 range in a new stadium, no matter what the price, but if there were 5-10k seats available at around £30 a seat, it would be a big improvement on the cheapest seats now, which are £38 or so for Category C games in the Kop, £42 everywhere else.

oldfattoad Brian Reece
    Talk Sports man in South America says Uruguayan media are reporting the Anfield club's move for David Texeira is a done deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

amiable wrote: »
    oldfattoad Brian Reece
    Talk Sports man in South America says Uruguayan media are reporting the Anfield club's move for David Texeira is a done deal

6,666th post. Must be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

On the back of the news about the Portuguese Teixeira, Tim Vickery, bbc's man in South America has confirmed that David Texeira will sign for Liverpool. The deal is done according to sources in Uruguay.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/hawksbee-and-jacobs/blog/2012-01-18/vickery-liverpool-are-interested-groningen-star-texeira

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Moussa sow to Fenerbache for 10 million euro

£10m is the figure being mentioned in most outlets rather than €10m, but either way if true it is a very low figure imho for the player. Am shocked at the low price being mentioned.

If the transfers of Sow and Shaqiri to Turkey go ahead, the combined cost for the two players will be under £18m :eek:

ynwa_17 wrote: »

What's the consensus on this, I know its open to UK residents or citizens only, but I've noticed other sites requesting people abroad enter British post codes in order to sign. Is doing this likely to lead to the petition being discredited by the Government, as was suggested was the case with the petition to release the Hillsborough documents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

ynwa_17 wrote: »

For signing a petition? :pac:

So we have two Texeira's on our books now? Hopefully it turns out to be good business.

Kess73 wrote: »
    £10m is the figure being mentioned in most outlets rather than €10m, but either way if true it is a very low figure imho for the player. Am shocked at the low price being mentioned.

If the transfers of Sow and Shaqiri to Turkey go ahead, the combined cost for the two players will be under £18m :eek:
    Jamie Dalton is saying 10 million euro plus 2 mill euro in add ons

Bargain

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    I don't think there will be any seats at the £10-£15 range in a new stadium, no matter what the price, but if there were 5-10k seats available at around £30 a seat, it would be a big improvement on the cheapest seats now, which are £38 or so for Category C games in the Kop, £42 everywhere else.

Unless we have turned into a charity I can't seeing us giving away seats for next to nothing.

Seats at £30 would even suprise me. Would be great though.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    £15 per seat ?
    5starpool wrote: »

I deliberately used the lower bracket figure that Mike mentioned so as to show it could (theoretically) be a possibility, and to allow for the margin of error to be favourable. I realise the price at the moment, however I think £20 for the cheapest tickets would be reasonable, allowing for the discount through some of those cheaper seats being season tickets

If it its viable at £20 for the cheapest tickets, it shouldn't be (as oppose to won't be) priced any higher

The lowest cost possible means less loans and finance costs, meaning more money goes on transfers and less on finance, we know the significance of this as a club. Plus trying to get finance for a 75,000 seater stadia these days!

Anyway, the other seats will just be increased to subsidise the cheap ones. Any new owners aren't going to be suddenly benevolent either.

I've got to love the naivety of the modern day football fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

On the back of the news about the Portuguese Teixeira, Tim Vickery, bbc's man in South America has confirmed that David Texeira will sign for Liverpool. The deal is done according to sources in Uruguay.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/hawksbee-and-jacobs/blog/2012-01-18/vickery-liverpool-are-interested-groningen-star-texeira

The deal is not done. Vickery simply said 'Uruguyan media are saying it's going to happen'. It may well. But for now, it's not a done deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

manual_man wrote: »
    The deal is not done. Vickery simply said 'Uruguyan media are saying it's going to happen'. It may well. But for now, it's not a done deal.

Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Jamie Dalton is saying 10 million euro plus 2 mill euro in add ons

Bargain

Ahh the add ons are probably what French radio are including to get the £10m figure I heard.

Is a great price for the player though. Really hope that if the club is ignoring the likes of Sow and Shaqiri for modest fees that it means the club is after much better targets.

Unless we have turned into a charity I can't seeing us giving away seats for next to nothing.

£20 per ticket, for a limited number of tickets isn't an act of charity, its a reasonable price in most top leagues. My ticket to the Everton Stoke game cost me that, albeit as part of Everton's half price offer
    The lowest cost possible means less loans and finance costs, meaning more money goes on transfers and less on finance, we know the significance of this as a club. Plus trying to get finance for a 75,000 seater stadia these days!

Anyway, the other seats will just be increased to subsidise the cheap ones. Any new owners aren't going to be suddenly benevolent either

I've got to love the naivety of the modern day football fan!

Obviously a lot depends upon how much finance the club need, and what's affordable. My point earlier showed that over a period of twenty years, its reasonable to assume that the additional seats would generate sufficient revenue to cover the repayments and interest incurred directly as a result of this additional cost

Again, I'm not suggesting anything charitable, what I'm suggesting is what would appear to be a viable investment while doing something positive for the people in the community

I don't see how this appears naive, given its a suggestion rather then an expectation and is at least financially possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

So does anyone know what the original Parry design was like inside? As generic as the outside, or does it have a "new" Kop for example?

£20 per ticket, for a limited number of tickets isn't an act of charity, its a reasonable price in most top leagues. My ticket to the Everton Stoke game cost me that, albeit as part of Everton's half price offer

In Europe it works. With our wage bill I'd be suprised if we had tickets that cheap. Hope I'm wrong.

It was a half price offer tbf, and it was Everton :p

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I agree that it's not that likely, but I believe you can get tickets for utd games for £35 or less, so I'd like to see something like that available for our matches, even if it was just something that locals could avail of for a limited number of seats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement