Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Tipperary

Options
  • 28-06-2014 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi!
    I am looking into buying a house in tipperary, there are two areas im looking at Cappawhite and Emly does anyone have any opinions on these areas? the houses are estate houses, im not even sure if either estate are fully finished but they are a more affordable price then wicklow/dublin!

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

houses in Glen Court in Emly are very cheap friends of mine living there since day 1 id say about half the estate is empty but place is usually kept good ect there is a few houses with maybe a more undiserable residents but your going to get that anywhere i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I lived in Cappawhite for 10 years and the place is miserable. Extremely dull and the majority of the people aren't all too pleasant but there are a few who are nice. I wouldn't recommend living there tbh.

Edit: Monard is a lovely little place and it's right between the two and has easy access to Tipp town or Limerick. Don't know about house pricing there but it is nice. It's quiet and peaceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

joesmum wrote: »
    Hi!
    I am looking into buying a house in tipperary, there are two areas im looking at Cappawhite and Emly does anyone have any opinions on these areas? the houses are estate houses, im not even sure if either estate are fully finished but they are a more affordable price then wicklow/dublin!

thanks in advance

Just wondering why those 2 areas named? Work/family local to them? I hope for you'd sake it's not an investment!

I dunno if it's an urban myth but when moyross was getting bulldozed the residents were scattered all over the place. There was a fair crew of them in glen court and another gang in Cappawhite.

Personally I wouldn't see why one would move to Cappawhite or Emly unless there was family in the area or work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

digzy wrote: »
    Just wondering why those 2 areas named? Work/family local to them? I hope for you'd sake it's not an investment!

I dunno if it's an urban myth but when moyross was getting bulldozed the residents were scattered all over the place. There was a fair crew of them in glen court and another gang in Cappawhite.

Personally I wouldn't see why one would move to Cappawhite or Emly unless there was family in the area or work there.

+1 if you ever want to sell up after it'd be near impossible. The same could be said of Tipp town, lots of unsold houses there going relatively cheap and nothing seems to be selling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I know this is an old thread but I'm looking at houses in Tipperary also and Emly seems dirt cheap but all the houses are boarded up and in very bad condition.

Is there a reason for this?

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread but I'm looking at houses in Tipperary also and Emly seems dirt cheap but all the houses are boarded up and in very bad condition.

Is there a reason for this?

It's full of limerick skobies who were moved there as part of 'urban regeneration'

There's a reason why houses are only making €20k there.

You'd wanna be nuts to buy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

http://www.limerickregeneration.org/Dundon2.pdf

First paragraph tells you all you need to know.

It's a disgrace what scum can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

I see a house on the market in Glen Court with an asking price of €12,000. You'd hardly get a decent second hand car for that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I see a house on the market in Glen Court with an asking price of €12,000. You'd hardly get a decent second hand car for that!!

House in Elm Park in Clonmel for 20k... has to be too good to be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

On the relocation thing..a member of the McCarthy family (and kids,partner, wife) , of McCarthy-Dundon gang fame has been relocated to just outside Thurles. Living at our expense in houses provided by the coco.

It's funny how Tipp seems to have been the location to relocate these upstanding members of society. According to a Garda I know they are regularly in town with their ARMED bodyguards, serious drug dealing types..(allegedly)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭All in all

callaway92 wrote: »

That's the AMV - I imagine it will sell for closer €70k.

callaway92 wrote: »

Have you a link for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

pilly wrote: »
    Have you a link for that?

Its on daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Pjwal

I lived in Glen Court, Emly, and we had to move out, one of the houses for sale there was mine and we allowed the bank to repossess it, couldn't take any more of living there, children were afraid to go out playing, wife was in a fit of depression, oil and coal been stolen all the time, kids bikes and toys taken, continuous roaring and shouting from the neighbours, car and van damaged, couldn't walk out of the estate for fear of the packs of dogs, cars set on fire, intimidation of people, look up the news papers and read the story about the beating/shooting that happened, meetings with gards and politicians did nothing, the whole heating system was stolen from my house after we moved out, do not move in there.

Pjwal wrote: »
    I lived in Glen Court, Emly, and we had to move out, one of the houses for sale there was mine and we allowed the bank to repossess it, couldn't take any more of living there, children were afraid to go out playing, wife was in a fit of depression, oil and coal been stolen all the time, kids bikes and toys taken, continuous roaring and shouting from the neighbours, car and van damaged, couldn't walk out of the estate for fear of the packs of dogs, cars set on fire, intimidation of people, look up the news papers and read the story about the beating/shooting that happened, meetings with gards and politicians did nothing, the whole heating system was stolen from my house after we moved out, do not move in there.

You did the right thing. I've real sympathy with the people who bought houses out there. Negative equity is one thing but when the state goes and throws a shower of scum like that in beside you I'd have no issue giving the bank back the keys (state basically owns them too)
    The idiots who gave planning for that place have a lot to answer for....they never will though

I lived there before the scum did, we had 3 great years there and it was a lovely place to live, unfortunately now tho, I now live a much more comfortable life in a rented house, but I can't any credit or finance, and the process of having your house repossessed is a very long drawn out one and is very traumatic, and I am still liable for the debt.

Know it’s off topic but we live in a strange country where someone owing low 6 figures is still liable for the debt while we’ve another class of people who’ve gone ‘bankrupt ‘ abroad and are back on their feet again...if they were ever reall off their feet in the first place!

Know it’s off topic but we live in a strange country where someone owing low 6 figures is still liable for the debt while we’ve another class of people who’ve gone ‘bankrupt ‘ abroad and are back on their feet again...if they were ever reall off their feet in the first place!

You are 100% correct, the rich guys go bankrupt by hiding thier money and coming back debt free and still rich. I can't enter bankruptcy because apparently my wages are too high(I am a mechanic) even tho I have zero savings and struggle to pay my bills, so my option is a pia(personal insolvency arrangement) where I am left living on meager allowance for 7 years so that the bank can get as much as possible for that length of time, and if I take a pay cut to to fall into the bankruptcy threshold, I still have to come up with e6000 to enter bankruptcy, so only rich people can go bankrupt.

Holy crap!!

A house sold in Glen Court recently for 12K!!

I'd be raging if I had bought there before certain individuals moved in resulting in this..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Vancix

Hi there,
    so it means that Emly is still very bad and there is no chance to have a good life there ?

Vancix wrote: »
    Hi there,
    so it means that Emly is still very bad and there is no chance to have a good life there ?

Tbf it's glen court thats being mentioned.
    If a house sells for €12k (albeit requiring refurbishment) in glen court you can draw your own conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Tbf it's glen court thats being mentioned.
    If a house sells for €12k (albeit requiring refurbishment) in glen court you can draw your own conclusions.

If you want more than one, how about 23 of them - all yours for €345,000 ;)

https://touch.daft.ie/tipperary/houses-for-auction/emly/23-houses-at-glen-court-emly-tipperary-1675363

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vancix

i seen this myself as well. That because i'm asking. its 17k for 1 house so someone will do quick sale on them after... its not a big money its a HAUSE 3 bed house for decent money.

To me that would be another reason to avoid the place..23 more opportunities for councils to move however the hell they want into the place with no regard for those residents who lived there for years.
    Plenty of small villages with reasonably priced houses around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

mikep wrote: »
    To me that would be another reason to avoid the place..23 more opportunities for councils to move however the hell they want into the place with no regard for those residents who lived there for years.
    Plenty of small villages with reasonably priced houses around.

Would agree, even as an investment or buy to let I can’t even begin to imagine the issues owners may face in that estate. I wouldn’t take one of these houses as a present.

These houses sold for €23.5 k each.
    Finishing works required.

Advertisement