Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Plant Science

Options
  • 07-07-2014 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey has anyone studied plant science in Trinity. Just wondering what to expect from a plant science degree :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 manatasia

Hi, I'm a fourth year plant science student and I can tell you a little bit about my experiences with the course so far.

First of all, if you like the subject you want to study then you will do absolutely great in it. It's just a thing I learned being passionate about plants myself.

When it comes to the actual course and people running it, I can't really say enough good things about it. The lecturers are super-friendly, approachable and extremely helpful, so it's already a much better learning experience for students, especially after two years of anonymity in general science. Here everything is more personal, from getting to know your professors (who actually care enough to familiarize themselves with students' names and surnames - they print off everyone's picture and hang it in their office) to learning. For example, you can come to them and ask questions, ask for additional literature and you are sure to hear back from them if you send them an email too. I mean, they can be busy during academic year but they are nonetheless looking out for their pupils. Show some interest and they will love you. Another great aspect of the course is that you get to go to Gran Canaria in around Feb-March and actually DO simple experiments, something a'la mini-dissertation with results presentation and write-up. You can see a selection of pictures on the department's website. Additionally, there is an optional module run jointly with zoology that takes place in Kenya. There are also a few smaller field trips in and around Dublin, where you usually work as a group on some sort of a project. There is very little horticultural aspect to the course in general, it's all very science-y and depending on what you're interested in, it can be either a good or a bad thing. The department has its own library where you can borrow books, however, a huge disadvantage of this is that the building closes at 5 pm so if you're in for a late study session you have to move to Hamilton. I find that extremely annoying and disrespectful, but that's only my personal opinion. The botany library is also a place of meet-ups and lunch breaks, so don't be surprised if you find the doors locked during those hours. The selection of books in both libraries (the Botany one and Hamilton) is quite impressive and I think you will find there everything you will need. Most lecturers give additional/recommended reading at the beginning of each module and provide you with, at least, a short booklet of what is expected from you by the time the lectures are finished. With regard to modules, the only choice you have is with respect to broad curriculum and I can't really speak for the final year, but there might be more choices. As someone who doesn't do great in exams, a 50-50 split in nearly all modules is invaluable. Some modules are 100% CA (Gran Canaria trip, Angiosperm diversity module etc.). Furthermore, there is far less exams than in previous years (this year we had only 8 exams, although 5 in a row, which wasn't great). The timetable is also pleasing, especially in the second semester. The modules offered span from ecology, plant evolution (both lower plants and angiosperms), quaternary science, plant physiology to plant molecular biology (at least in the third year). Some of them are run with zoology and/or environmental science and/or functional biology, so you also get to know people from similar courses. Oh, I should also mention the utter pain you will have to go through sitting for 2 hrs in the Botany lecture theater that is like 200 years old and excruciatingly uncomfortable. Some say it's to keep you awake during lectures... :)

As you can see, there are many good, as well as bad aspects of the course. There could be more contact hours, and some modules could be run more efficiently. The facilities could be better too. Most of the funding goes to other courses, such as physics and chemistry and plant science's funding usually gets cut down more than anything, but they are doing their best with what they have.

I hope this gives you a better view of the place and you if you want to know more about the course then just send me a pm.
    Also, I hope I wasn't too biased. I tried to think of as many negative things as possible but the truth is, I personally really like the course and am looking forward to the next academic year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chaffinch

Thank you so much manatasia for taking the time to reply. your post was very helpful. Im actually really excited about studying plant science and cannot wait for the field trips :)

Advertisement