Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier Soccer Saturday, MOTD/2, The Football League Show chit chat

• 13-08-2011 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Annoyingly both are on at the same time tonight due to a rugby friendly. From 10 pm.

I'm not aware of any new signings for either side. The hideous Colin Murray remains on the Sunday show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

MOTD Simples!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

MOTD for me I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

MotD all day long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I rather wait till Goals on Sunday if I don't watch them online beforehand.

Goals on Sunday is good too actually, I usually watch both MotD and GoS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Bring back Eamon Dunphy to Premier Soccer Saturday and I'll watch it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭crushproof

smart man Samuel L. Jackson predicts Swansea to beat Man City 1-0 on Football Focus. I have an inkling he's never even heard of Swansea....he also looked awfully confused when asked to predict Wigan v Norwich!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Premier Soccer Saturday

Better show, without the pro Liverpool and or Arsenal analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The Premier Soccer Saturday crew have a sexy new studio.

Kenny looked even more morose than usual in his post match interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

So happy MotD is back.

Thank God they got rid of the opening credits from last year too, they were truly awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

MOTD for me

I see QPR relegated already...

Frisbee wrote: »
    So happy MotD is back.

Thank God they got rid of the opening credits from last year too, they were truly awful.

Jaysis its on early.

Nice goal from Larsson!!

Sir Wesley getting the praise he deserves. If he can stay fit (BIG if) he will be purchase of the season at a mere £1m. Gave a positional masterclass today at Anfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Could be a good season for Sunderland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I can't watch MOTD, it is possibly the smuggest, shallowest football show out there. They only skim through the highlights anyway and have banal, vacuous discussion afterwards. Coli Murray on MOTD2 makes me want to poke my eyeballs out. Premier Soccer Saturday can be alright depending on the analysts. It can woeful too. Darragh Moloney suffers from similar smugness issues to Lineker.

Football First is decent since you get to watch so much football but it's not really a highlights show(plus Sarah Jane Mee...purr :pac:). Goals on Sunday is probably the best highlights show.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Sir Wesley getting the praise he deserves. If he can stay fit (BIG if) he will be purchase of the season at a mere £1m. Gave a positional masterclass today at Anfield.

Might be decent for Sunderland, but lets not get carried away. He is always liable to drop a clanger.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Joey Barton proving what a k****** he is, some shot by the sniper in the crowd that took him out though.

Barton is trouble!

• Advertisement

I can't watch MOTD, it is possibly the smuggest, shallowest football show out there. They only skim through the highlights anyway and have banal, vacuous discussion afterwards. Coli Murray on MOTD2 makes me want to poke my eyeballs out. Premier Soccer Saturday can be alright depending on the analysts. It can woeful too. Darragh Moloney suffers from similar smugness issues to Lineker.

Football First is decent since you get to watch so much football but it's not really a highlights show(plus Sarah Jane Mee...purr :pac:). Goals on Sunday is probably the best highlights show.

IMG_3457.jpg

0fnbfcgjjjd4.jpg

Might be decent for Sunderland, but lets not get carried away. He is always liable to drop a clanger.

He's not that error prone is he?. At £1m he'll be a snip if he starts 25 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

If Joey Barton didn't play football just think he'd be in jail right now.

Joey7Barton Joseph Barton
    Bad shirt, shoes and views from shearer again. Sort it out slaphead........

Stay classy Joey. Shearer was exactly right, for once.

On the subject of Barton, he's just tweeted this...
    Joseph Barton

Slags off a Newcastle legend, the fans are really gonna love him for that. The guy is actually missing a few billion brain cells. Unbelievable.

[Edit] Beaten by Bazz

baz2009 wrote: »

So he's watching MOTD? :pac:

A bit childish but sure it's JB

He's not that error prone is he?. At £1m he'll be a snip if he starts 25 games.

At full back he is OK. But at centre back all I can think of is his Barthez comedy double act. He is caught out a fair bit at centre back. That'll probably increase when he doesn't have the rest of the United team around him. He never looked a secure playing for England.

Don't get me wrong he is a decent player. But he isn't that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He probably knows Shearer well and was having a laugh. There truly is a witch hunt after him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

baz2009 wrote: »

Would be great if Lineker read out what Barton said on twitter.

• Advertisement

Would be great if Lineker read out what Barton said on twitter.

That would require moving away from the banal and the 5 lines they interchange after every highlights clip.

He probably knows Shearer well and was having a laugh. There truly is a witch hunt after him :rolleyes:

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/646485-barton-tells-shearer-youre-a-s-manager

I'd say they're great pals alright:rolleyes:

At full back he is OK. But at centre back all I can think of is his Barthez comedy double act. He is caught out a fair bit at centre back. That'll probably increase when he doesn't have the rest of the United team around him. He never looked a secure playing for England.

Don't get me wrong he is a decent player. But he isn't that good.

I dunno when he plays regulalrly he can be excellent. I'll always remember him being sublime at centre back over 180 mins against Barca a couple of years ago. He's a great natural defender that is a snip at a mere £1m. You wouldn't get a good championship defender for that, not to mind a player with his experience.

I dunno when he plays regulalrly he can be excellent. I'll always remember him being sublime at centre back over 180 mins against Barca a couple of years ago. He's a great natural defender that is a snip at a mere £1m. You wouldn't get a good championship defender for that, not to mind a player with his experience.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Wes-Brown-is-the-best-natural-defender-in-the-country-says-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-article234217.html
    “It just reminds you that when Wes Brown is fit, he is the best natural defender in the country. He’s a fantastic defender.

Ferguson praised Brown for the way he has battled back from injury several times to recapture his top form.

“You’ve got to pay tribute to the lad,” said the United manager. “He keeps coming back from the serious injuries he’s had in his career.

“He’s had two cruciates, a broken ankle, calf injuries and things like that. Last season he had a very staggered season in terms of interruptions to his consistency.

“But the previous season he was our most consistent defender, the year we won the European Cup in Moscow.

“So now he’s fit again and looking fantastic. He gets better all the time.

“He’s 30 now and I keep thinking he’s only 22 or 23. He’s got such a young approach to life. He’s done well, the lad.”

Blatter wrote: »

Ah tabloid news. You believe when you want to believe it. And even if it were true, ive called my mates far worse things on the pitch and dressing room. But you keep on believing what you want to make yourself feel happy if it keeps that fire on your pirch fork burning.

Ah tabloid news. You believe when you want to believe it. And even if it were true, ive called my mates far worse things on the pitch and dressing room. But you keep on believing what you want to make yourself feel happy if it keeps that fire on your pirch fork burning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/8033495.stm
    Newcastle's statement claimed Barton will be suspended from the club until further notice but BBC Radio 5 Live chief football reporter Ian Dennis said there is a timescale.
    "I can confirm the length of Barton's suspension is two weeks," said Dennis.
    "Newcastle's disciplinary action is sure to include a hefty fine, probably two weeks' wages as well.

It was a stupid tackle and he deserved to be sent off
    Alan Shearer
    "Although Barton's suspension is just a fortnight it is unlikely the midfielder will return to the training ground ahead of what would be the final game of the season, which he is suspended for anyway.
    "And while Shearer is at St James' Park I cannot see Barton playing for Newcastle again."

It was more than just a dressing room row. Barton stupidly got himself sent off against Liverpool at the end of the season and missed the last few games when Newcastle were fighting for their lives and eventually got relegated. He then had a go at Shearer in the dressing room.

Barton was suspended by the club over the fiasco ffs.

There is bad blood between Barton and Shearer, make no mistake about it. They certainly aren't good pals as you insinuated.

• Advertisement

In fairness, Ferguson is hardly going to say anything different. I'd place more value on his obvious reluctance to play him at centre back. Sure injuries have played a massive role in his career. But I stand by my "decent player, not a top player" description.

In fairness, Ferguson is hardly going to say anything different. I'd place more value on his obvious reluctance to play him at centre back. Sure injuries have played a massive role in his career. But I stand by my "decent player, not a top player" description.

That's not the first time Ferguson has said that Brown was the most naturally gifted English defender, that's why I'd put weight behind the quotes.

Anytime he got a good solid run of games without getting injured, his quality shone through. The pinnacle was 2007/08, he was amazing.

If he hadn't had the injuries, he could well have been one of our best defenders over the last 10 years imo.

Hmm, didn't hear that before.

I'd still say Barton was being serious and acing the **** with that tweet though. Did anyone see what Shearer had to say about the Barton incident tonight? Did he vehemently criticise Barton? I seem to remember him doing so over the Pederson punch last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I see QPR relegated already...

Fernandes looks closer to buying out Ecclestone.
    But uh, hard to feel confident of anything after *that*. :(

• Advertisement

Hmm, didn't hear that before.

I'd still say Barton was being serious and acing the **** with that tweet though. Did anyone see what Shearer had to say about the Barton incident tonight? Did he vehemently criticise Barton? I seem to remember him doing so over the Pederson punch last year.

He said Barton was out of order but he didn't exactly go to town on him. It looked like he was actually trying not to go over the top on him to me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Suarez aside it was scrappy all round today from the strikers.

moses, downing and jarvis showed well.

who stood out for you?

That's not the first time Ferguson has said that Brown was the most naturally gifted English defender, that's why I'd put weight behind the quotes.

Anytime he got a good solid run of games without getting injured, his quality shone through. The pinnacle was 2007/08, he was amazing.

If he hadn't had the injuries, he could well have been one of our best defenders over the last 10 years imo.

I know he has said it plenty of times over the years. He's also regularly talked up Darron Gibson. I never said Brown was a bad player. I'm just saying the earlier praise was a bit much.

As for 2008, that was as a full back. If you check my posts, I am talking about him as a centre back. He is a good full back, but not as good in the centre.

I know he has said it plenty of times over the years. He's also regularly talked up Darron Gibson. I never said Brown was a bad player. I'm just saying the earlier praise was a bit much.

As for 2008, that was as a full back. If you check my posts, I am talking about him as a centre back. He is a good full back, but not as good in the centre.

He never said Gibson was the best midfielder at the club, now will he keep him at the club for a decade. Anytime Wes filled in at CB in 07/08 he was immense as well especially the Barca games - his finest hour IMO. I think you're beiung a bit hard on him. At £1m he is an outrageous bargain.

He never said Gibson was the best midfielder at the club, now will he keep him at the club for a decade. Anytime Wes filled in at CB in 07/08 he was immense as well especially the Barca games - his finest hour IMO. I think you're beiung a bit hard on him. At £1m he is an outrageous bargain.

I didn't say he said Gibson was the best midfielder at the club. I said he talked him up, using him as an example of somebody he speaks well of but rarely plays. Brown is a good player, but not worthy of the praise you are giving him IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

anybody know where i can watch premier soccer saturday - missed it last night. doesnt seem to be on RTE player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

If Wes Brown plays 20-25 games this season at £1m he's a steal for Sunderland.

I know I'm used to watching shite as a Sunderland fan and it was only one game, but he was absolutely immense yesterday and I've heard numerous Manchester United fans say that that sort of performance isn't a one off.

Every time the ball came forward I was expecting a Liverpool player to get on to it as we usually drop deep when under pressure, the next thing *BANG* Brown comes across and flies in with a tackle cleanly winning the ball. His reading of the game is superb, so much so that Carroll virtually gave up after an hour. He just knew where the ball was going to be almost every single time it was coming forward. He's so intelligent on the field.

Him and O'Shea in our back four will be such an improvement for us.

Paully D wrote: »
    If Wes Brown plays 20-25 games this season at £1m he's a steal for Sunderland.

I know I'm used to watching shite as a Sunderland fan and it was only one game, but he was absolutely immense yesterday and I've heard numerous Manchester United fans say that that sort of performance isn't a one off.

Every time the ball came forward I was expecting a Liverpool player to get on to it as we usually drop deep when under pressure, the next thing *BANG* Brown comes across and flies in with a tackle cleanly winning the ball. His reading of the game is superb, so much so that Carroll virtually gave up after an hour. He just knew where the ball was going to be almost every single time it was coming forward. He's so intelligent on the field.

Him and O'Shea in our back four will be such an improvement for us.

Just as you posted this, Henry Winter tweeted this article. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/8701409/Sunderland-defender-Wes-Brown-stalls-new-look-Liverpool-in-opening-day-stalemate-at-Anfield.html
    Sunderland defender Wes Brown stalls new-look Liverpool in opening day stalemate at Anfield

Of all the new boys on show here, it was an old one who most caught the eye, the 31-year-old Wes Brown. His Manchester United roots earning the opprobrium of the Liverpool faithful, Brown calmly and quietly demonstrated why Sunderland could have made one of the signings of the summer.

Fitness is always a concern with Brown, who has long association with the physiotherapist’s room following injuries to knee and ankle, as well as the inevitable wear and tear of 341 games spread over 13 years at United and 23 caps for England. If he can avoid further damage, Brown could prove a rock in Steve Bruce’s defence, particularly if he repeats the type of performance that saw him largely subdue Andy Carroll. A four-year contract was generous, but with a fee reported around £1 million it could be a master-stroke by Bruce.
    “He rolled back the years,’’ said the Sunderland manager of Brown’s display. “For me he is arguably one of the best natural English centre-backs we’ve had. He’s not played, been injured and with Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic doing so well we’ve managed to get him.’’
    With Phil Jones and Chris Smalling the Old Trafford heirs apparent at centre-half, Brown clearly knew his opportunities would be limited. “He’s been fit since last February but this was his first competitive game since that time,’’ Bruce added.
    “He’s as tough as they come and that experience of knowing how to play against a big centre-forward showed, he had it off to a tee. He was terrific. Dropped off when he needed to, went up against him when he needed to, he gave a proper performance.”
    Brown made one mistake, conceding the free-kick from Charlie Adam delivered for Luis Suarez to give Liverpool the lead. Such was their early dominance before fading, Kenny Dalglish’s side should already have been ahead by then as Suarez missed a penalty after being fouled by Kieran Richardson. Sunderland enjoyed a double escape as Richardson should have been dismissed. Suarez was about to score. No question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

PSS v MOTD sounds like a decent poll idea. :pac:

Just about to start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement