Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in heat, may have done it!!

Options
  • 30-07-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Help

I have my sisters male huskie this weekend and my femal lab has just gone into heat. I have them separated now and she only began the bleed today. I noticed her trying to hump tue poor husky yesterday. But didn't see them together. He is 5 months and she is 20 months.

Can she get pregnant on day one of bleed?

Would he be sexually active at 5 months?

Has anyone experience of the doggy abortion pill?

Help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The female Lab was trying to hump the male Huskey?
    If so thats not how she'd get pregnant;)
    It is unusual for a male to be mature at 5 months and father pups but I wouldn't take a chance, keep them apart. Were they alone together for long?
    If her heat has just begun she wouldn't be ready to mate, but if you are concerned call your vet and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Yep she was humping on top of him yest, but they were out together til 10am this morning so I dont know what they may have got up to, just noticed her spotting today, defo not spotting yest!

Hopefully she will be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hope someone else can clarify but think the vet gives an injection up to 3-5 days after suspected mating(not sure on dates).
    Or you can get her spayed a couple of weeks after the heat.
    Best ask your vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Generally the bitches try to hump the male dog when they are on standing time so are you sure she is not in heat longer than you think?

At 5 months some dogs are more than capable of mating a bitch but they are usually smaller breeds as they mature much quicker. You will probably be fine, unless they were together for a while without anyone supervising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

The husky is gay :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Quality wrote: »
    Can she get pregnant on day one of bleed?

Very unlikely, but possible. Some bitches don't bleed from day one of heat so she could have been in heat for a day or two before she started to bleed. Again, this is not usual but certainly not unheard of.

Would he be sexually active at 5 months?

Again, possible but for a large breed quite unlikely. Smaller breeds mature faster than larger, so if the male was a Yorkie or something similar he would almost definitely be producing sperm but a Husky may not be at that stage yet. In saying this, nature has a mad way of working so he could be full of little swimmers. At 5 months he is definitely capable of the act of mating, but there may be nothing to back it up.

Has anyone experience of the doggy abortion pill?

There is an injection you can get from your vet, the sooner it is administered the better (much like in human with the morning after pill) so if you are worried you should act now and get an emergency appointment with the vet.

Your situation is quite unusual and there are a lot of "maybes" and "coulds" surrounding it but don't feel safe in this, keep them apart while she is in heat and don't let her out of your sight for even a minute without being secured (even in your garden, males will smell her from miles away, will do anything to get to her - I mean anything - and it only takes one!). As I said already, if you are worried she may have been mated (and fertilised!), get her to a vet asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Thanks for all the advice.

The husky doesn't seem interested in her at all. I have let them have some supervised play together and he hasnt once tries to mount her.

I have her separated in her run which has an 8ft enclosure so hopefully she is safe.

Only noticed her bleed yesterday and she had been in doors a good bit before that so am sure yest was her first spotting.

She is panting a lot lately too? Would that be a sign of heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just be careful with the run, I've known litters to be conceived through fences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

My vet told me the injection to stop them getting pregnant was taken off the market . . . ?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

My vet told me the injection to stop them getting pregnant was taken off the market . . . ?

No it is still there, in fact there are two.

OP, just contact your vet for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

No that's completely untrue. The injection I've seen used is called Alizin. It's given in 2 doses 24 hours apart and stops the dog getting pregnant. OP you might want to think about neutering her after she's finished her first heat say about 4 - 5 weeks after she stops bleeding. It is possible to do the surgery but the risk of her bleeding is far greater while she's in heat because of the increased blood supply to the reproductive organs. The majority of vets won't do the surgery while she's bleeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I remember getting a 'morning after pill' injection for my little dog when she was just over a year old. It was a precaution as I found that a lab sized neighbours dog had got into my garden. The vet said that there was no way of knowing if she had been 'interfered' with so gave the injection. I don't know what the time span for safety is though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

<SNIP>
    Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Can you give a dog that Alizin to stop them from coming into heat until you wanted to breed off her?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No you cant keep giving it the injection. That injection has quite serious side affects and ive heard a lot of bad reports from people who have given their bitch the injection so they dont come into heat.
    Ive heard of bitches not coming into season again after getting the injection.

Slookie, i really think you should reconsider this whole breeding thing as you really arent informed enough on it and even though you still wont actually answer my question on why you want to breed, its plain to see why you do want to breed and it certainly isnt to improve the quality of a breed, but only to make some money...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

slookie wrote: »
    Can you give a dog that Alizin to stop them from coming into heat until you wanted to breed off her?

No, and I doubt you would find a vet who would do this.

As andreac already said, the injection can have negative effects on your dog and really should only be used in an emergency situation. You can ask your vet about options but really you just need to keep her away from dogs on each heat until she is ready to breed (if you are going to breed her) but breeding is not an easy business, if done properly - with all the heath checks for both parents, not to mention taking care of the pups (wormer, food etc.) - and shouldn't be taken lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

slookie wrote: »

No that product cannot be used for that purpose.

No product licensed to stop a first heat and not a good idea anyway.

You need to discuss your best options with your vet.

Advertisement