Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS screening

Options
  • 16-03-2015 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anybody know where I can get private MS screening in Dublin?. I don't want to go to a GP and go through the motions of begging for an MRI etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Anomic

Only way as far as I know is to ask your gp for a referral to a neurologist, do a bit of research and find a neurologist who takes private patients, and ask for a referral. Neurologist will arrange mri & lumbar puncture if necessary. Good luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I don't think you can self-refer for an MRI. It's also worth saying that the MRI alone may not be conclusive, so you could need a lumbar puncture as already mentioned. There's no conclusive test for MS, it's usually a gathering of info from various tests and symptoms.

I was diagnosed in 2001 so if you need to ask questions, feel free or if you want to pm, you are welcome.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have travelled the road, so might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Anomic wrote: »
    Only way as far as I know is to ask your gp for a referral to a neurologist, do a bit of research and find a neurologist who takes private patients, and ask for a referral. Neurologist will arrange mri & lumbar puncture if necessary. Good luck.

Thanks, I contacted a private clinic and they said I can see the neurologist with a GP referral. I understand that a diagnosis can be hard to get from what I've read also. I'd rather spend the money than get bogged down in the public health waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Defullback

My wife has recently been diagnosed with MS so the process of finding out is quite fresh. Firstly you shall need to be referred to a Neurologist but when being referred, I would insist that you are also sent for an MRI beforehand. Otherwise you will see the Neuro, they will send you for a MRI a couple of days/ weeks later, you will return to the Neuro for another appointment to read the scan and if the scan is inconclusive (MS cannot be diagnoised with an MRI) you will need to complete a battery of test which may require an overnight stay in hospital.

From visiting the Neuro initially to receiving the final diagnosies, I would say it was 6 weeks to 2 months. And this was after we had a few people trying to use their influence to help us being seen. Just to highlight, we went private so do not expect a quick turnaround. Neuro consultants are thin on the ground in Ireland and your appointments can be well out in the future.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Defullback wrote: »
    My wife has recently been diagnosed with MS so the process of finding out is quite fresh. Firstly you shall need to be referred to a Neurologist but when being referred, I would insist that you are also sent for an MRI beforehand. Otherwise you will see the Neuro, they will send you for a MRI a couple of days/ weeks later, you will return to the Neuro for another appointment to read the scan and if the scan is inconclusive (MS cannot be diagnoised with an MRI) you will need to complete a battery of test which may require an overnight stay in hospital.

From visiting the Neuro initially to receiving the final diagnosies, I would say it was 6 weeks to 2 months. And this was after we had a few people trying to use their influence to help us being seen. Just to highlight, we went private so do not expect a quick turnaround. Neuro consultants are thin on the ground in Ireland and your appointments can be well out in the future.

Hope this helps

That's good advice about the MRI, I'm sending emails to different clinics around the country to see which has the shortest waiting list to see a neuro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I would consider 2 months to be a very quick turnaround. My initial referral to a neuro in Dublin at the time (privately) was nearly 18 months , though things have improved considerably.
    MS can be diagnosed from an MRI if there is evidence of other stuff and to be honest, unless the MRI centre know what areas they are to scan (ie is it brain/c-spine /full spine)you may need more MRIs. I had had a lower spine MRI before getting to the neuro and then had to have a full MRI after anyhow.

Have a look at some of the tests/ways mentioned here:
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Symptoms-Diagnosis/Diagnosing-Tools

Advertisement