Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migraines

Options
  • 12-02-2015 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

Please help
    What relieves it? Even a bit? Can only take Panadol and it's not even touching the sides of it. Im on way to work and feel nauseous with it. Feels like someone is flinging a bag of rocks around my head

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Please help
    What relieves it? Even a bit? Can only take Panadol and it's not even touching the sides of it. Im on way to work and feel nauseous with it. Feels like someone is flinging a bag of rocks around my head

Probably not much help to you but the only thing I can do is get to a dark bedroom and wait it out and sleep if at all possible. Plenty of water too. They really are a horrible, horrible thing. Mine are brought on if I'm particularly worried or stressed or a big change is happening.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

I used to swear by syndol but is no longer on the market. The new GP at my practice just told me aspirin are the best painkiller to take for migrane. Haven't suffered a Migrane in a few weeks but will try them out next time. I also find the migra-cap brilliant nice and cool blocks out light and really helps me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My heads been splitting since yesterday. Just the right side and over my eye. The light is hurting it really bad but I am not in a position where I can call in sick so I have to go to work. Honestly with every step I feel like I could collapse and I am even dizzy while lying down.

Does coffee work?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Coffee makes me worse but it might be an individual thing. Could you stomach 2 Asprin cold compress on your head and lie down in the dark. Hope you feel better soon I know how nasty they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭suds1984

i often find that taking a dioralyte and something sugary like lucozade or a crunchie works wonders for migraines. Depends what has triggered the migraine - hormones/ fasting / dehydration/ food intolerance etc what works for one person makes another persons migraine worse. A good night sleep helps as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I take ibuprofen with caffeine to take the edge off it and I've started using these strips called kool n soothe and find them really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

I do one of two things either wrap a heat pad around my head while lying in bed or put vicks on my temples, it lifts the throbbing feeling a bit. If it's really bad I do both and try to sleep, hope it eases soon for you

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

suds1984 wrote: »
    Depends what has triggered the migraine - hormones/ fasting / dehydration/ food intolerance etc what works for one person makes another persons migraine worse. A good night sleep helps as well.

^ Very true. It depends on why you have the migraine... or perhaps it's a headache. Not to diminish your suffering but a migraine is a cluster of symptoms and you might not necessarily have a headache with a migraine. Headaches are more straight forward... and I've suffered plenty with those.

For me I take beta blockers daily to reduce the chances of a migraine, then when it does hit I have something I can take immediately before. This tends to reduce the migraine. Aside from that making sure I'm well hydrated and rest in a quiet, darkened room. I might also take nurofen.

For headaches I might try paracetamol or nurofen. I try to keep away from codeine based products. I tend to get rebound headaches (which is definitely something to look for). Being hydrated, resting, quietness... staying away from screens and tvs... and for me stress is a trigger. I've had 3/4 occasions in the last number of years where I've had to take muscle relaxants as my shoulders and neck were just rock solid from tension and contributing to the headache.

If it is muscular the chances are it won't pass without seeing your GP.

Good luck, I feel for ya :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It's not a headache, it makes me nauseous, it makes me vomit, I get vertigo from it. It's the most horrific feeling in the world

Advertisement