Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dementia - how to apply for house grant

Options
  • 17-03-2015 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Apologies if in the wrong thread just wondering I need to get the house 1940's 2 bed adapted for my 81 yr old Mam in stage two dementia I am living on my own with her. Does anyone know the procedure, people to ask, forms, how much approx and length of time sorry for all the questions. Going through tough time at the moment so I knew to sort out stuff and get the ball rolling on this before she progresses faster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

Hi Miss Choc. Sorry to hear that you're going through a tough time. I don't have the answers to your questions but the Alzheimer Society should be able to give you good advice on this and a range of other topics: http://www.alzheimer.ie/services-support.aspx

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

there is a lot of information on the Dublin city council website, or your local council. its called the DPG, or HAG, disabled persons grant or home adaptation grant. the forms are straightforward and detailed. print one off and begin the process. you could always call the council as well, 2222222 and ask for the section. the amount of grant you can get depends on the income, and is clearly laid out in the application form. the maximum grant you can get is 30,000. you will need a private occupational therapist (I can give you further details) or you can go on the waiting list for a community occupational therapist. be aware not all community ot's will do the report for the DPG. you should start with the OT, as their report will detail what you need, and from there your quotes from the companies will need to reflect the OT recommendation. typical works include a stair lift and taking out the bath and putting in a near level access shower. you could build on a wet room and a bedroom, but you will need proof of decreasing mobility etc. this is also quite expensive. you might also benefit from bathroom modification upstairs and a toilet downstairs, rails etc. it depends on the house and the money you have, and of course your mam's needs. in Dublin while the waiting list can be long, they can move quite quickly. its a good grant, and they do their best to help people.

Advertisement