Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Megaupload shut down!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founder charged

Megaupload charged users a fee to upload large files anonymously
    Continue reading the main story
    Related Stories

Viewpoint: Piracy protest action
    US anti-piracy bills explained
    Who backs the anti-piracy laws?
    Megaupload, one of the internet's largest file-sharing sites, has been shut down by officials in the US.

The site's founder have been charged with violating piracy laws.

Federal prosecutors have accused it of costing copyright holders more than $500m (£320m) in lost revenue. The firm says it was diligent in responding to complaints about pirated material.

Investigators denied a link to recent protests against proposed piracy laws, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The US Justice Department said that Kim Dotcom, formerly known as Kim Schmitz, and three others were arrested in Auckland, New Zealand at the request of US officials. It added that three other defendants were still at large.

"This action is among the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought by the United States and directly targets the misuse of a public content storage and distribution site to commit and facilitate intellectual property crime," said a statement posted on its website.

Third-party sites
    The charges included copyright infringement, conspiracies to commit racketeering, copyright infringement and money laundering.

A federal court in Virginia ordered that 18 domain names associated with the Hong Kong-based firm be seized.

The Justice Department said that more than 20 search warrants had been executed in nine countries, and that approximately $50m in assets had been seized.

It claimed that the accused pursued a business model designed to promote the uploading of copyrighted works.

"The conspirators allegedly paid users whom they specifically knew uploaded infringing content and publicised their links to users throughout the world," a statement said.

"By actively supporting the use of third-party linking sites to publicise infringing content, the conspirators did not need to publicise such content on the Megaupload site. Instead, the indictment alleges that the conspirators manipulated the perception of content available on their servers by not providing a public search function on the Megaupload site and by not including popular infringing content on the publicly available lists of top content downloaded by its users."

Before it was shut down the site posted a statement saying the allegations against it were "grotesquely overblown".

"The fact is that the vast majority of Mega's internet traffic is legitimate, and we are here to stay," it added.

"If the content industry would like to take advantage of our popularity, we are happy to enter into a dialogue. We have some good ideas. Please get in touch."

Blackouts
    On Wednesday, thousands of websites took part in a "blackout" to protest against the Stop Online Piracy Act (Sopa) and the Protect Intellectual Property Act (Pipa).

Industry watchers suggest this latest move may feed into the wider debate.

"Neither of the bills are close to being passed - they need further revision - but it appears that officials are able to use existing tools to go after a business alleged to be inducing piracy," said Gartner's media distribution expert Mike McGuire.

"It begs the question that if you can find and arrest people who are suspected to be involved in piracy using existing laws, then why introduce further regulations which are US-only and potentially damaging."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Well, that's it: goodbye cruel world

Once Putlocker and Sockshare are still there then I dont care.

Does not bode well though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founder charged

_57993788_megaup.jpg Megaupload charged users a fee to upload large files anonymously
    Continue reading the main story Related Stories

Megaupload, one of the internet's largest file-sharing sites, has been shut down by officials in the US.
    The site's founder have been charged with violating piracy laws.
    Federal prosecutors have accused it of costing copyright holders more than $500m (£320m) in lost revenue. The firm says it was diligent in responding to complaints about pirated material.
    Investigators denied a link to recent protests against proposed piracy laws, according to the Wall Street Journal.
    The US Justice Department said that Kim Dotcom, formerly known as Kim Schmitz, and three others were arrested in Auckland, New Zealand at the request of US officials. It added that three other defendants were still at large.
    "This action is among the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought by the United States and directly targets the misuse of a public content storage and distribution site to commit and facilitate intellectual property crime," said a statement posted on its website.
    Third-party sites The charges included copyright infringement, conspiracies to commit racketeering, copyright infringement and money laundering.
    A federal court in Virginia ordered that 18 domain names associated with the Hong Kong-based firm be seized.
    The Justice Department said that more than 20 search warrants had been executed in nine countries, and that approximately $50m in assets had been seized.
    It claimed that the accused pursued a business model designed to promote the uploading of copyrighted works.
    "The conspirators allegedly paid users whom they specifically knew uploaded infringing content and publicised their links to users throughout the world," a statement said.
    "By actively supporting the use of third-party linking sites to publicise infringing content, the conspirators did not need to publicise such content on the Megaupload site. Instead, the indictment alleges that the conspirators manipulated the perception of content available on their servers by not providing a public search function on the Megaupload site and by not including popular infringing content on the publicly available lists of top content downloaded by its users."
    Before it was shut down the site posted a statement saying the allegations against it were "grotesquely overblown".
    "The fact is that the vast majority of Mega's internet traffic is legitimate, and we are here to stay," it added.
    "If the content industry would like to take advantage of our popularity, we are happy to enter into a dialogue. We have some good ideas. Please get in touch."
    Blackouts On Wednesday, thousands of websites took part in a "blackout" to protest against the Stop Online Piracy Act (Sopa) and the Protect Intellectual Property Act (Pipa).
    Industry watchers suggest this latest move may feed into the wider debate.
    "Neither of the bills are close to being passed - they need further revision - but it appears that officials are able to use existing tools to go after a business alleged to be inducing piracy," said Gartner's media distribution expert Mike McGuire.
    "It begs the question that if you can find and arrest people who are suspected to be involved in piracy using existing laws, then why introduce further regulations which are US-only and potentially damaging."
    I don't like where this is all headed. Oh well, as long as torrents are still around ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This can be for the sideways look at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

"The charges included copyright infringement, conspiracies to commit racketeering, copyright infringement and money laundering."

They will probably get 20 years,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Argh me mateys...

Oh wait, not that kind.

TBH if I was losing billions off of my intellectual property I'd want to shut him down too.

Except I'd only realise how vindictive nerds are and the futility of it.

The Batman has no Jurisdiction.....

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

They probably would have been left alone if they weren't making money from it. Sad news though. MU was a great uploading/downloading site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

:mad:

This is an attack on our freedom by corporations & fat cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

More jobs for Iceland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Imagine how much worse it will be with SOPA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hong Kong-based firm - I wonder how that will work out?
    Will be interesting to see. If only for the additional implications for others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

And yet ya have to use Google to search it but Google is fine. Funny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    They probably would have been left alone if they weren't making money from it. Sad news though. MU was a great uploading/downloading site.

I have invites to private trackers if you want great sites. Them public sites are bad news anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I bet when the police are interviewing him he stops every 72 min and tells the cops they'll have to wait half an hour before he answers anymore questions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if they actually get convicted it'll be a good thing, opponents of sopa/pipa will be able to point to it and say "what the hell do we need sopa/pipa for"

from reading the fbi link it sounds like they have evidence of megaupload just not bothering to remove copyrighted material and a case to make that they actually encouraged it.
    this doesn't seem like the big bad government stepping all over the litte guy it seems like a legit case brought against a serial offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭cosanostra

amacachi wrote: »
    And yet ya have to use Google to search it but Google is fine. Funny that.

That would be a bit like blaming the yellow pages for giving you the number of a crap plumber

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

I never used them- was a paid service no? - 50Million in assets does say an awful lot about it- I wonder how much of that was network infrastructure and how much was personal property? christ on a bike- is it that easy to become a millionaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

not even a http redirect from their ISP- how does American law stretch so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Is Megavideo is affected by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Megaupload has been around for 6 or 7 years now, which is a rather long length for a company hosting mainly in pirate files. But new hosts crop up fairly regularly so even to close them down, it will have little to no effect upon those downloading films and albums. Really I doubt SOPA would have had any major impact upon piracy if one wants to commit it, there's always a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sad to see the site go down, but can't say the same about seeing Schmitz go down. Guy's a scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That promo video must have really rattled some cages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

44leto wrote: »
    "The charges included copyright infringement, conspiracies to commit racketeering, copyright infringement and money laundering."

They will probably get 20 years,

You know it's serious when they charge you twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

"This is what we think of your SOPA protests!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

cosanostra wrote: »
    That would be a bit like blaming the yellow pages for giving you the number of a crap plumber

You'd think so yet they close other sites that are just indexes though. The yanks are trying to get a British lad extradited for doing such a thing right now as it happens.

I've come across plenty of dead links on Megaupload and the like due to copyright claims. As long as the admins weren't stupid enough to say in messages on the site's servers that they were ignoring takedown notices I can't see how there's any case against them.
    Then again this is the same country with RICO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

How can Americans arrest people in New Zealand and shut down a company from Hong Kong??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The_B_Man wrote: »
    How can Americans arrest people in New Zealand and shut down a company from Hong Kong??

He had a NZ passport. Looks like NZ will extradite if it's for any crime with more than a 12 sentence in both countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The_B_Man wrote: »

They have nukes and arent afraid to use them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

If they go after rapidshare or oron I'll explode!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

cosanostra wrote: »
    I bet when the police are interviewing him he stops every 72 min and tells the cops they'll have to wait half an hour before he answers anymore questions

I nearly choked on my dinner when I read that, ya fecker!

Very funny though! A+ :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Here's an article on TorrentFreak about it - http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-shut-down-120119/

Cool license plates, too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

What i cant understand is why cant these websites setup in other countries, or does the U.S.A think they rule the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

What i cant understand is why cant these websites setup in other countries, or does the U.S.A think they rule the internet.

... and the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement