Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite decade in Ireland and why?

• 19-01-2012 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

What was your favourite decade in Ireland and why?
    For me it was the 1980's.
    I loved the fashions, music, Punts, pubs, cars.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

90s.

Coz it's between that and the 00s and the 00s were sh*te!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

80s or 90s simply because I was young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I was a teenager for most of the 90's so I'd probably choose that decade.

I'd agree with the poster above, the 00's were shít and the 10's aren't shaping up to be much better

/pessimist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

90's. Wasn't alive before hand. But IMO they were all shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I hate the rosary so none of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

90s - the internet , mobile phones, less regulation than the 00's , start of the celtic tiger, the rise of hip hop and dance music to the mainstream.

I dont know why people like the 80s so much, it was pretty shít and now the hipsters are trying to relive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

mine was 2030,that was when we invented time travel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Favourite decade in Ireland and why?

2030 just has to be better by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Has to be the 90s starting with the 1990 World Cup. Olé olé olé!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

80s

Ah were poor but we were happy :)

Only rich people had two cars, many had none so you thumbed at the local crossroads. This was considered perfectly safe and school children did it no problem.

You drove a Ford Cortina. A BMW or Merc was an exception and a head-turner, nowadays they are as common as muck

If you were a rich fecker and bought a new car, oh la di da, you could buy it from August onwards and put "for reg" and then register it in January. "For reg" is long gone

There was such a thing as running in a new car. Modern cars don't need this

It was perfectly acceptable to open your front door, call over children and give them money to go the shops to get you cigarettes. Nowadays if you give children money and call them to your front door the gardaí will probably question you as some pervert. :eek:

You could spot the poor kids in school as their books were covered in wallpaper, I was one of these.
    It was common for families to share one book between sibilings. Teachers understood so if you didn't have the book they would not shame you.

A flight to the UK cost up to two hundred punts, ridiculous money. So a holiday was a day out to Leisureland in Salthill.

Money was tight, people could not afford heating oil so you went to bed with so many blankets you could barely move or turn over. Years later I never feel the cold.

There was no Wikipedia or google. You went to the cabinet and got the encyclopedias for that. People sold those door to door.

It was considered acceptable to order a phone line from Telecom Éireann and wait over six weeks to get it.

Then just as now, the Dubs were arrogant when it came to GAA football and everyone was sick of listening to them

There was no Oxygen but by the end of the decade we got Féile and The Trip to Tipp. :cool:. It's how Michael Lowry launched his career.
    On that note politicians were crooks then as well as now. But we still voted for them, nothing changes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Has to be the 90s starting with the 1990 World Cup. Olé olé olé!!

Italia '90 was great. I remember it well. It was my first holiday Italy and the atmosphere was electric everywhere you went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What was your favourite decade in Ireland and why? For me it was the 1980's.

For many the 80s was the last mass exodus out of Ireland! (due to Ireland being so dead & rife with unemployment).
    The 80s was indeed great for music, pubs, clubs & fashion, & cheap car insurance, but London was where it was at, not here.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    80s

Ah were poor but we were happy :)

Only rich people had two cars, many had none so you thumbed at the local crossroads. This was considered perfectly safe and school children did it no problem.

You drove a Ford Cortina. A BMW or Merc was an exception and a head-turner, nowadays they are as common as muck

If you were a rich fecker and bought a new car, oh la di da, you could buy it from August onwards and put "for reg" and then register it in January. "For reg" is long gone

There was such a thing as running in a new car. Modern cars don't need this

It was perfectly acceptable to open your front door, call over children and give them money to go the shops to get you cigarettes. Nowadays if you give children money and call them to your front door the gardaí will probably question you as some pervert. :eek:

You could spot the poor kids in school as their books were covered in wallpaper, I was one of these.
    It was common for families to share one book between sibilings. Teachers understood so if you didn't have the book they would not shame you.

A flight to the UK cost up to two hundred punts, ridiculous money. So a holiday was a day out to Leisureland in Salthill.

Money was tight, people could not afford heating oil so you went to bed with so many blankets you could barely move or turn over. Years later I never feel the cold.

There was no Wikipedia or google. You went to the cabinet and got the encyclopedias for that. People sold those door to door.

It was considered acceptable to order a phone line from Telecom Éireann and wait over six weeks to get it.

Then just as now, the Dubs were arrogant when it came to GAA football and everyone was sick of listening to them

There was no Oxygen but by the end of the decade we got Féile and The Trip to Tipp. :cool:. It's how Michael Lowry launched his career.
    On that note politicians were crooks then as well as now. But we still voted for them, nothing changes

Great post! So true, it brings back many memories for me.

LordSutch wrote: »
    For many the 80s was the last mass exodus out of Ireland! (due to Ireland being so dead & rife with unemployment).
    The 80s was indeed great for music, pubs, clubs & fashion, & cheap car insurance, but London was where it was at, not here.

Very true. There was an unemployment rate of 16% in 1986.
    I remember seeing hundreds of homeless Irish sleeping in parks in the 1980's when I was a child in London. Many would stand outside The Crown pub in Cricklewood at 6.00am in the morning hoping to get a days work hired on the lump by a Ganger Man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

44leto wrote: »
    80s or 90s simply because I was young.

You're still young !

80s for me.....obviously.
    One long party,a decade of firsts....first kiss,first boyfriend,first job,first............

doesn't "first" look like it's spelt wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Ah there were a few joyful years in the 90s, a few glorious years in the '00s, and there will be a few more sorrowful years this decade...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What was your favourite decade in Ireland and why?
    For me it was the 1980's.
    What fashion? Ireland in the 80s looked just the same as it did in the 70s and 60s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Has to be the 20's, Al Capone dancing the Charleston on top of a flagpole, who could forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

mikemac1 wrote: »
    There was no Oxygen
    Christ, dunno how you enjoyed that decade, I nearly pass out if I hold my breath for even a minute.

Having been born in 1988, I've only really experienced two decades. I was a kind growing up in the nineties, and came of age in the 00's, so I'm looking at the two from fundamentally different viewpoints and can't really compare them. I've always wanted to have experienced the birth of rave culture when I was in my prime though, must have been quite the buzz. The whole thing went right over my head as a four-year-old kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

ScumLord wrote: »
    What fashion? Ireland in the 80s looked just the same as it did in the 70s and 60s.
    Nah...going by Reeling in the Years, anyway, the whole big hair and shoulder pads thing seemed to catch on here to some extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The 90's, the country was on the up and the madness of the tiger years hadnt kicked in yet. I was a teenager and life was easy.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Christ, dunno how you enjoyed that decade, I nearly pass out if I hold my breath for even a minute.

Having been born in 1988, I've only really experienced two decades. I was a kind growing up in the nineties, and came of age in the 00's, so I'm looking at the two from fundamentally different viewpoints and can't really compare them. I've always wanted to have experienced the birth of rave culture when I was in my prime though, must have been quite the buzz. The whole thing went right over my head as a four-year-old kid.

I was 15 years old when I attended my first rave in June 1992.
    You will never know what you missed. It was something special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

This whole thread reminds me of the song by Whipping Boy, When We Were Young
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mifMjKT4Tl0&feature=related

Advertisement