Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 TB External Hard Drive - Seagate Expanson - £109.99 inc del

Options
  • 22-05-2015 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Lowest it's been. link Is this a good deal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Lowest I can see is £143.70

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭boardbro

Back down now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

Newer version USB 3.0 for £129.98 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭coroner29

Back up now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fecken prostitutes knickers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Slightly OT, but what's the advantage (other than space/neatness) of as large a capacity as this?

Something in me would rather have 2+2+1TB drives (as I currently do, hidden behind a TV set). All drives fail eventually, and 5TB is a lot to lose in one go...

Or do you guys have a specific use in mind that makes a single 5TB drive necessary or preferable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭SickBoy

peckerhead wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but what's the advantage (other than space/neatness) of as large a capacity as this?

Something in me would rather have 2+2+1TB drives (as I currently do, hidden behind a TV set). All drives fail eventually, and 5TB is a lot to lose in one go...

Or do you guys have a specific use in mind that makes a single 5TB drive necessary or preferable?

NAS enclosure / RAID array.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Thought as much, ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

This was on offer at Argos recently so it's worth keeping an eye out! I had the 4TB for 129 and 5TB was 149 I believe but I'm not entirely sure what the exact pricing was. It was cheap anyway even compared to webshops in Holland which are normally way cheaper.

Currently it's 163 euro there which is only a few euro more expensive than 109 pounds due to the horrible exchange rate at the moment (Google says it's 154 euro). It's way cheaper than the cheapest price on Amazon at the moment!

And yes I use them for a NAS too, I crack the case open and take the drive out. For some strange reason it's cheaper as an external model. In some cases you lose the warranty though: I have 3 4TB Seagates where the internal serial number shows as "in warranty" on the Seagate website (and offering 2 years instead of the normal 1!), however the 5TB I bought shows up as "This is an OEM model" which means Seagate don't support the internal drive as such, only as a whole (external) unit - worth to know if you're planning to do this because cracking the case open definitely voids the warranty then. They're clipped shut and even if you pry with something soft (e.g. a plastic credit card) you will damage it somewhat.

The internal construction was also radically different (both electronically and mechanically), with the later drives having less shielding and smaller electronic boards (SATA to USB 3.0 converters). Even though they were exactly the same on the outside! So I would imagine that all newer drives lose warranty when opened. I bought them over a gradual time period, it was funny to see how much they changed the internals over time. But don't count on having warranty if you crack it open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭SickBoy

This was on offer at Argos recently so it's worth keeping an eye out! I had the 4TB for 129 and 5TB was 149 I believe but I'm not entirely sure what the exact pricing was. It was cheap anyway even compared to webshops in Holland which are normally way cheaper.

Currently it's 163 euro there which is only a few euro more expensive than 109 pounds due to the horrible exchange rate at the moment (Google says it's 154 euro). It's way cheaper than the cheapest price on Amazon at the moment!

And yes I use them for a NAS too, I crack the case open and take the drive out. For some strange reason it's cheaper as an external model. In some cases you lose the warranty though: I have 3 4TB Seagates where the internal serial number shows as "in warranty" on the Seagate website (and offering 2 years instead of the normal 1!), however the 5TB I bought shows up as "This is an OEM model" which means Seagate don't support the internal drive as such, only as a whole (external) unit - worth to know if you're planning to do this because cracking the case open definitely voids the warranty then. They're clipped shut and even if you pry with something soft (e.g. a plastic credit card) you will damage it somewhat.

The internal construction was also radically different (both electronically and mechanically), with the later drives having less shielding and smaller electronic boards (SATA to USB 3.0 converters). Even though they were exactly the same on the outside! So I would imagine that all newer drives lose warranty when opened. I bought them over a gradual time period, it was funny to see how much they changed the internals over time. But don't count on having warranty if you crack it open.

Just to confirm, these drives are SATA interface connected to a USB interface right? Not a crippled USB interface like some Western Digital Passport drives I've seen in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

SickBoy wrote: »
    Just to confirm, these drives are SATA interface connected to a USB interface right? Not a crippled USB interface like some Western Digital Passport drives I've seen in the past.

It's Sata to USB, although there seems to be some conflicting reports about whether or not they have a crippled firmware with some people having no issue using them in NAS and the like but others reporting awful transfer speeds fitted internal in a PC. In the end I cancelled my order as at 160 yoyos I can get a 4TB Western Digital Green edition from Komplett which has a better guarantee and better performance even if its a TB smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

How many threads do you need op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Inquitus wrote: »
    It's Sata to USB, although there seems to be some conflicting reports about whether or not they have a crippled firmware with some people having no issue using them in NAS and the like but others reporting awful transfer speeds fitted internal in a PC. In the end I cancelled my order as at 160 yoyos I can get a 4TB Western Digital Green edition from Komplett which has a better guarantee and better performance even if its a TB smaller.

None of the drives I got have crippled speeds, they work just fine. And yes they were all using USB-SATA converters. (I've only ever seen drives with the USB connection straight on the drive on 2.5" models)

But the warranty is a good point, like I said Seagate no longer honours the warranty on the newer drives if you open the case. Found this by looking up the internal drive serial numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Sure Thing

I would urge caution if thinking of extracting the hdd and using over SATA. Seagate have crippled the firmware on these discs , depends which batch yours comes from. The earlier firmware cc44 was ok, just had a cc47 bricked after reformatting to GPT getting CRC errors.
    For this 5tb version it did not work for me. If you got one with a different firmware version you may be ok, but personally I would avoid Seagate 5tb > units and stick with WD or HGST if I was going to extract the HDD from an external unit for use in a NAS.

After my misfortune with the 5tb external, I went for a Seagate 8tb internal archive disk from amazon.it for approx Eur252 delivered by DHL. Very pleased with it so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Sure Thing wrote: »
    After my misfortune with the 5tb external, I went for a Seagate 8tb internal archive disk from amazon.it for approx Eur252 delivered by DHL. Very pleased with it so far.

Jaysus surely 8TB is massively overkill is it not?

You can never have too much ;)
    My media server is now up to 27tb , with same amount held as a one to one back up

Advertisement