Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paranormal encounters

Options
  • 09-03-2015 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

hello all im new to this thread,

just basically looking for peoples input and experiences with the paranormal ,, i have had alot of different experiences with it and would know alot of people that have also experienced quiet a bit of unusual and spooky stuff happen,, i have many questions about it have been dealing with stuff for years now and its mainly all bad, but whats your take on everything? what type did you encounter? was it on-going did it stop and start etc

thanks for partaking

has anyone had physical marks appear on them during/after paranormal experience 3 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 geniemac881

also has anyone ever experienced physical markings or pain/illness due to there experiences

interesting poll results, thanks for taking the poll and please ppl keep voting this is something that i find intriguing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the main problem I find is how can you determine the marks are made from a paranormal encounter? At the same time, I do know a woman, and two witnesses, who support the womans claim that she was struck in the back by an unknown force - hard enough to leave a bruise. But thats only one isolated case.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Interpreted your question literally, OP. Hope you don't mind.

I voted no, because obviously nobody has ever had physical marks appear on their body after a paranormal experience.

Ever.

maccored

this family have endured years of a haunting they have had multiple people also experience stuff happen right in front of there eyes, whatever they were/are dealing with made it clear it wasn't friendly,, on numerous occasions they would be touched, pushed, and yes for definite left marks , when a doctor cannot understand how someone woke up with a burn that blistered and went on for weeks leaving a scar on the woman's leg then i guess that speaks for itself,,

i completely understand where your coming from though it does sound a little out there but i personally do believe that there stuff out there that no body understands

• Advertisement

endacl

thanks for your vote, everyone to there own opinions but i dont think you have the right to say that nobody has ever had physical marks left on there bodies unless you can personally vouch for the whole world

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

maccored

this family have endured years of a haunting they have had multiple people also experience stuff happen right in front of there eyes, whatever they were/are dealing with made it clear it wasn't friendly,, on numerous occasions they would be touched, pushed, and yes for definite left marks , when a doctor cannot understand how someone woke up with a burn that blistered and went on for weeks leaving a scar on the woman's leg then i guess that speaks for itself,,

i completely understand where your coming from though it does sound a little out there but i personally do believe that there stuff out there that no body understands

I once had a rash on my leg - lasted nearly a month. Doctor hadn't a clue.......so ghosts did it I guess?:confused::confused:

endacl

thanks for your vote, everyone to there own opinions but i dont think you have the right to say that nobody has ever had physical marks left on there bodies unless you can personally vouch for the whole world

I'm gonna stick my neck out an presume that the single 'yes' vote was yours...?

:)

sbsquarepants

lol,,, i personally couldnt tell ya since i dont no about your circumstances,, dont get me wrong im not saying everyone that wakes up with something or other means it was caused by a ghost,, all im trying to say is in this case in particular, there was something a miss and the family also had other physical contact with this kind of entity

endacl

lol lucky guess

• Advertisement

I don't know anything about the family you're on about - but I think people tend to see what they look for. A few years ago my self, my girlfriend and the 2 kids (teenagers) spent a week in a really old, fairly creepy house, in the absolute middle of nowhere in deepest darkest Mayo:D
    Now my missus seen and heard all manner of otherworldly goings on, as did the kids. I seen curtains blowing in a draughty old house, and heard expansion and contraction noises and so on. Our minds mould our perception based on our expectations, we're predisposed to recognising patterns and predicting future actions to such an extent that we connect things that are not remotely connected just to be sure we don't miss something.
    It serves you well when you're a primitive tribesman trying to avoid snakes and crocodiles, better to see something that's not there than to miss something that is. Can cause a few issues in an apartment though!

I don't know anything about the family you're on about - but I think people tend to see what they look for. A few years ago my self, my girlfriend and the 2 kids (teenagers) spent a week in a really old, fairly creepy house, in the absolute middle of nowhere in deepest darkest Mayo:D
    Now my missus seen and heard all manner of otherworldly goings on, as did the kids. I seen curtains blowing in a draughty old house, and heard expansion and contraction noises and so on. Our minds mould our perception based on our expectations, we're predisposed to recognising patterns and predicting future actions to such an extent that we connect things that are not remotely connected just to be sure we don't miss something.
    It serves you well when you're a primitive tribesman trying to avoid snakes and crocodiles, better to see something that's not there than to miss something that is. Can cause a few issues in an apartment though!

I have seen objects jump off a wall and land on the ground (only during one visit to one place mind you) - so as much as I like to have a skeptical eye, i can see where the OP is coming from. its not always imagination.

maccored wrote: »
    I have seen objects jump off a wall and land on the ground (only during one visit to one place mind you) - so as much as I like to have a skeptical eye, i can see where the OP is coming from. its not always imagination.

That's called gravity!
    When you see some inanimate object jump off the ground and land on the wall you might have something to report, otherwise gravity was the likely culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

I've experienced many ill feelings, sudden fear/panics etc etc due paranormal investigations (often not planned at all). I never had any marks left on me though therefore I voted with No.
    Would you like to write about some incidents you experienced?

That's called gravity!
    When you see some inanimate object jump off the ground and land on the wall you might have something to report, otherwise gravity was the likely culprit.

yeah. things untie themselves (twice) and fly across the room. thats gravity. :rolleyes:

yeah. things untie themselves (twice) and fly across the room. thats gravity. :rolleyes:
    Whatever it is it's explicable, if not explained.

endacl wrote: »
    Whatever it is it's explicable, if not explained.

everything is - though I havent one for that experience. you would know though, you were there werent you. oh wait ....

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

I'd love to know why some hardcore atheists bother visiting the paranormal forum if they absolutely don't believe in the possibility of a supernatural realm. What do they actually get out of posting here? It's not like anyone's opinion on the subject is going to change by engaging in futile argument; having one's own encounter with the inexplicable is really the only catalyst for such a personal paradigm shift. Asserting that certain things are not possible is simply a cop out, particularly when such an assertion is employed as a retort to quash the testimony of individuals who firmly believe that they have come face-to-face with the extraordinary.

I'd love to know why some hardcore atheists bother visiting the paranormal forum if they absolutely don't believe in the possibility of a supernatural realm. What do they actually get out of posting here? It's not like anyone's opinion on the subject is going to change by engaging in futile argument; having one's own encounter with the inexplicable is really the only catalyst for such a personal paradigm shift. Asserting that certain things are not possible is simply a cop out, particularly when such an assertion is employed as a retort to quash the testimony of individuals who firmly believe that they have come face-to-face with the extraordinary.
    I'll take those points one at a time, if may...

(1) Atheism isn't a 'hardcore'. It simply describes a position where a belief in a theistic deity is not accepted, in the absence of any evidence to support the proposition that such a deity exists. Although I'm sure you simply mistyped 'rationalist' there. Either way, 'hardcore' still doesn't apply.

(2) Personally speaking, I visited the forum because the OP's question appeared on the front page of the site. I obliged them by accurately answering the question that was put to users of the site.

(3) I don't entirely discount the possibility of a supernatural realm. I accept the extreme probability that there is not one. I'm open to being convinced. Fire away. Convince me.

(4) What do I get out of posting here? same as I get posting elsewhere, I suppose. Conversation. Debate. Diversion. Banter. In varying combinations.

(5) One's own personal, subjective, and flawed encounter with what the particular individual does not or can not explain in rational terms is in no way a sensible catalyst for any type of shift, paradigmatic or otherwise. It is however an excellent catalyst to wonder and exploration. 'I don't understand, therefore magic' is lazy thinking.

(6) "Asserting that certain things are not possible is simply a cop out". I agree entirely with this point. But the opposite. See point (5) above.

(7) "Particularly when such an assertion is employed as a retort to quash the testimony of individuals who firmly believe that they have come face-to-face with the extraordinary". Testimony is not evidence. An individual's personal experience is their own business, and I do respect that. However, if they willingly choose to post it on a discussion forum, surely they expect it to be discussed?

(8)Their subjective perception of an experience, their belief "that they have come face-to-face with the extraordinary" is moot. It's a meaningless statement. By definition.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

You forgot one:
    (9) Smugness.

Ah well. To each his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Okay play nice. Please remember that as per the forum charter there is no requirement for people to prove the existence of the paranormal. People are allowed to post on this forum and the opinion that activity is of paranormal is as valid as those who think its not as neither can be proven. This is the paranormal form and is not necessarily a place for debate about the existence of the paranormal.

Far too many threads are shut down here by stupid comments and I see a few patronising comments on this thread. Ill start banning posters of the next patronising, off topic comments.

appreciate everyone's opinions but to be honest i didn't start this thread to prove or justify anything to anyone if people don't believe then that's there choice no problem.

can i just say that you cannot explain everything away with gravity ,yes its there and does exist but have had stuff fly across the room, and had something come off the top of the fridge and aim towards someone,

started this thread because have had so many experiences would be nice for peoples experiences also

celica00 wrote: »
    I've experienced many ill feelings, sudden fear/panics etc etc due paranormal investigations (often not planned at all). I never had any marks left on me though therefore I voted with No.
    Would you like to write about some incidents you experienced?

I've actually experienced something very similar myself.
    Years back myself and my girlfriend at the time, pulled into a secluded lay by for some "Quality time". We'd been there many times before, it wasn't like it was some old indian burial ground or anything!:D
    I have no idea why exactly, but shortly into proceedings I was completely overcome with a completely terrifying sense of being very much in grave danger, very much unwelcome and unwanted - in fact I could honestly describe it as a sense of a malevolent or "evil" presence for want of a better word- to the point where I started up the car and took off down the road like Lewis Hamilton, with us both completely starkers. She said she had felt it too and we were both quite spooked by the whole affair I have to say.
    Looking back with a colder more rational eye - I'd say it had a lot more to do with feeling vulnerable in the moment and maybe getting spooked by trees rustling or a noise or something like that leading to some sort of limbic snowball effect. Fear tends to breed fear and once you start to panic you just can't trust your senses.
    Absolutely scared the bejaysus out of me at the time though.

This is the first mention of flying.
    You seen them fall from the wall you said?

As for untying - it happens to shoe laces all the time, why not picture frames. Poorly tied knots, low friction strings, our old friend gravity again - you have the recipe for a falling frame right there.
    As for flying across the room - I don't know, maybe it bounced off something or something like that. I'd be fairly certain that a rational explanation exists. The least complicated answer is usually the right one - the well known and understood laws of force and motion can almost certainly explain what happened without the need for the help of ghosts or magic.

This is the first mention of flying.
    You seen them fall from the wall you said?

As for untying - it happens to shoe laces all the time, why not picture frames. Poorly tied knots, low friction strings, our old friend gravity again - you have the recipe for a falling frame right there.
    As for flying across the room - I don't know, maybe it bounced off something or something like that. I'd be fairly certain that a rational explanation exists. The least complicated answer is usually the right one - the well known and understood laws of force and motion can almost certainly explain what happened without the need for the help of ghosts or magic.

who mentioned picture frames?

these were two curtain holder decoration things, each tied to its metal curtain holder. in a 15 min time frame, both shot across the room, the 'ding' sound of what I assume was the string for each one leaving the metal curtain holder, being clearly heard. the first one flew off, i went and looked, and then checked the second one (which was securely tied) and the second one then done the same thing 10 or 15 mins later.

thats nothing to do with this thread mind you, and to be honest, Im not really too concerned about who believes me or who doesn't.

Sorry - don't know why I thought it was a picture frame, an assumption I suppose.

I'm not doubting you that it happened. I'm just saying I very much doubt the cause was anything supernatural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭IamtooGoode

endacl wrote: »
    Interpreted your question literally, OP. Hope you don't mind.

I voted no, because obviously nobody has ever had physical marks appear on their body after a paranormal experience.

Ever.

You'll have an audience in Skeptics corner with that, but not here Have a Nice Day ;-)

A little experiment for our newly arrived skeptics!

Get a hold of a crystal, probably quartz is best, and place it under your pillow at night. It can be a polished round piece of quartz or a small stick of quartz, it wont matter too much. Amethyst is good too. You might have to google to find a shop that sells them in your area. Top of my head I think there is a stall in Grafton Arcade Dublin but I could be mistaken. One or your family or friends might have one to borrow.

Leave it there under your pillow for say two weeks or so and come back and let me know how you got on! This little experiment will surprise skeptics (e.g. my father for one!).

Don't expect to see ghosts or anything but it will illustrate how things that you cannot rationally explain can happen. Obviously I wont say what happens or it will ruin the experiment and if anybody knows keep it under your hat until a few of the skeptics have tried it. Enjoy! I'll PM Maccored with expected results which can be compared to reported actual results.

pm received!

So let the games begin…. !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ill give this a shot. As a skeptic with an interest. Is this a bit like the princess and the pea?

Advertisement