Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

B&Q Torq 250 piece tool chest

• 09-03-2015 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is a bargain or not, but it looks alright.... B&Q have a Torq 250 piece tool chest for €97 - spanners/socket set/screwdrivers/pliers etc.

Leaving out the 120 or so small bits and bobs, it still seems decent enough value?

I don't know what it was previously priced at and can't find anything online about it...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

If it's a socket set you're after, id wait for halfords to run their sale on their advanced range (it reduces from time to time). Excellent sets and much better quality than any b&q offering. Lifetime warranty too I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

B and q wouldn't be the best quality in my opinion, whereas even lidl can be OK for certain uses, b and q is definitely cheaaap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

These came up on Amazon , they come high recommended on HUKD if i didnt just get the Halfords professional ones i would have got these

91ek1MGdMhL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mannesmann-Socket-Bit-Set-Pieces/dp/B009I4HRDW/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Link?

Can't find anything online about it, so no link....I suspect it might be older stock they're trying to flog off.

It's a version of this which is priced at €70 instore.

Will take a pic of box tomorrow if I get a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

projectgtr wrote: »
    These came up on Amazon , they come high recommended on HUKD if i didnt just get the Halfords professional ones i would have got these

91ek1MGdMhL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mannesmann-Socket-Bit-Set-Pieces/dp/B009I4HRDW/

There 1/4" drive. only up to 14mm.
    That's not even big enough for a child's bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

dodzy wrote: »
    If it's a socket set you're after, id wait for halfords to run their sale on their advanced range (it reduces from time to time). Excellent sets and much better quality than any b&q offering. Lifetime warranty too I think.

Halfords half price at the moment, tempted:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The "Torq" brand stuff carried by B&Q is decent enough quality. I have a few bits-and-pieces from there, including some torque-wrenches which incidentally appear to be identical to wrenches from Laser and Draper Expert. Their 150-piece socket-set looks suspiciously like an equivalent set from Halfords, and I've a notion they're all made by Mac Tools in the USA for these retailers.

deckie27 wrote: »

I wouldn't say that. There's a lot of fiddly small-ish stuff on cars, particularly newer ones. Ideally, you want decent 1/4'', 3/8'' and 1/2'' drive socket-sets, but for most enthusiastic amateurs such as myself one of those good quality 150-piece or more sets featuring all three major drive sizes is just dandy.

jimgoose wrote: »
    and I've a notion they're all made by Mac Tools in the USA for these retailers.

might have been you that wrote it, but I did read somewhere else that Torq and Halfords were the same...

I'm probably going to buy it - I need an amateur set, not a pro set and for the money this looks like it's good value.

Even at half price, the halfords sets are still more expensive than this (and for this money, you'd want to be getting a big chest as well....)

• Advertisement

ablelocks wrote: »
    might have been you that wrote it, but I did read somewhere else that Torq and Halfords were the same...

I'm probably going to buy it - I need an amateur set, not a pro set and for the money this looks like it's good value.

Even at half price, the halfords sets are still more expensive than this (and for this money, you'd want to be getting a big chest as well....)

They look pretty good to me. Having said that, I myself bought the Halfords 150-piece set for €125 in 2009, and it is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

deckie27 wrote: »

Does most jobs on my car, a 10 a 12 and a 14 and i could take most of my car apart they joys of a jap import. Any ways just thought id share , might suit someone

I'm not sure if this is a bargain or not, but it looks alright.... B&Q have a Torq 250 piece tool chest for €97 - spanners/socket set/screwdrivers/pliers etc.

Leaving out the 120 or so small bits and bobs, it still seems decent enough value?

I don't know what it was previously priced at and can't find anything online about it...

this is now down to €69 - 1 left in the limerick store.

Torq-250pc-Tool-Kit-in-Metal-Case (link to product picture, not to b&q site)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Any link to it cant find it what site for b and q are you using

crasy dash wrote: »
    Any link to it cant find it what site for b and q are you using

Like I said there is no b&q link - looks like it's an end of life product so in-store only and probably not in every store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Like I said there is no b&q link - looks like it's an end of life product so in-store only and probably not in every store.

Thanks for the reply will be in limerick over the week end I'll have a look if I'm passing by there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

Still few left in naas b&q

this is now down to €69 - 1 left in the limerick store.

Torq-250pc-Tool-Kit-in-Metal-Case (link to product picture, not to b&q site)

still 2 of these left in B&Q limerick, along with individual Torq items (various size spanners, ratchets) on clearance - circa 3-7 euro each.

Advertisement