Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Mini Potato Challenge..Should You Choose to Accept It!!!

Options
  • 01-05-2005 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I have a full tub of mini salad potatoes and Im gonna set all of the cooking geniuses here a challenge!!

They're out of date tomorrow so I need.... by this evenin if possible.. an idea as to what to do with them!

No.. "mix with Mayo and Onion" ideas, thats too easy :)

Im thinkin something along the idea of throwing them in a baking dish as they are with a load of cut up raw rashers and some onions maybe and sticking the whole lot in the oven.. but I cant see that tasting anyway different.

So cmon!! :) Ideas!

ps.. No mad ideas like crazy herbs that I havent got in my press etc, and nothing that costs me a fortune like mixing in Caviar!

The best idea gets cooked for lunch tomorrow and I'll report back. Good luck! :D

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

if you add a white sauce to your idea you'll have bacon and potato hotpot...delicious and freezable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Ooohhh.. Good start!

Cold white sauce, or do I need to cook it on the hob first, and then put that hot white sauce in on top of the rest before giving it a lash in the oven? Im guessing about half an hour at 200??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

How about a warm potato salad? Boil the potatoes in their skins, slice them, add some chopped red onion, cook some bacon bits till they're nice and crispy, add bacon to potatoes with some chopped flat parsley, add some wine vinegar to the pan and make a warm dressing with the remaining bacon fat, possibly adding a bit of olive oil depending on how much fat came out of the bacon, lots of coarsly ground black pepper ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 foodietwoshoes

Here's an easy Indian way to cook those small potatoes:

Par-boil the potatoes with skin on. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, squash them between your palms to flatten - they should still be in one piece though. Now deep-fry until golden and crisp. Sprinkle with salt and chilli powder and/or pepper powder. If you'd like a proper recipe, just PM me and I'll dig one up for you. Some people like to double deep-fry - either way, it's yummy!

I have plenty more recipes for those baby potatoes, but they are a bit more complicated. If you'd like them, feel free to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Why not just mill them at some old people? That way you kill two birds with one stone (pardon the pun!). You get rid of old people AND potatoes - the perfect solution! Bon appetit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

A day late and a dollar short, but here's my suggestion anyway!

1. Par-boil the potatoes.
    2. Mix a half tub of creme fraiche or heavy cream with a pot of natural yogurt - add a pinch of paprika and a pinch of oregano (hope these herbs aren't too crazy...)
    3. Grate around 125g of cheese - gouda is perfect, and stir into the creamy mixture.
    4. Arrange potatoes in an oven dish, pour the cheese/cream over and bake at Gas 7 for around 30 - 40 minutes.

That's my take on Guaranga Potatoes for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

if you add a white sauce to your idea you'll have bacon and potato hotpot...delicious and freezable.

I made this one because I had all the ingredients in the press already. It was nice too!!!!

I gotta try vibrants Guaranga Potatoes though. That sounds nice!!

Well done everybody! Take a bow!
    (Except the old person idea.. you know who you are. You should lower your head and walk slowly to confession, thinking about WHAT YOU DID).

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

The Guaranga potatoes are much nicer if you use parboiled *sliced* spuds (big ones!) - but the baby potatoes will do as well in a pinch.

Advertisement