Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Ireland a 'who you know' country?

• 13-05-2009 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

... and if it is then is it so to any greater extent than other countries?

Personally, it does seem to me that this country is built almost entirely on 'who you know' rather thant 'what you know'. From getting a job (especially entry level) to getting off a conviction being chummy with the garda or a political party / sporting association / friend of a friend will definetly do you some favours.

So how about your experences in regard to this topic? Have you ever been done a significant favour because of your connections or know of such a favour done for someone else? Perhaps you think it's just a myth propogated by bitter people who can't accept (what they percieve) to be an injustice.

All views welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I know this lad that got a prime-time chat show just because he was shagging a Rose of Tralee.

Shocking stuff altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Sure you only have to look to the State Broadcaster to see that. One Seoige got the other one in, Tubridy's related to someone or other...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yes, but who are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Of course. You get examples every day. Just yesterday that former rugby international only got a suspended sentence for killing a 16 year old kid when after being driving over the drink limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

In my job, almost everyone that works there fits into one of three categories:

1. Worked for the manager elsewhere.

2. Related to another worker.

3. Friend of another worker.

That's how it goes I guess. That's how I got my job anyway (#3).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

No it isn't.

Ireland isn't special in this way, just like it's not special in the antics of it's elected politicians, it's financial problems, it's social welfare programs, it's justice system or anything else people on AH like to cry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Ireland's definitely a who you know, not what you know country. In nearly every trade I've worked in, and in nearly every job, positions of authority have been given out to people not quite qualified to do the jobs, but rather that they were acquaintances of the owners, or recommended by word of mouth. It's a bit sickening at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

In my job, almost everyone that works there fits into one of three categories:

1. Worked for the manager elsewhere.

2. Related to another worker.

3. Friend of another worker.

That's how it goes I guess. That's how I got my job anyway (#3).

Not necessarily a bad thing. You trust an existing employees judgement to select an apt candidate for interview. Then you decide from interview if theyre up for the job.

Open to abuse (many examples seen by myself and others) but thats the idea.

But hey, its the same in any county. Who can say that they didnt get their break somewhere without some sort of help, maybe not through referral, but through being prompted/pushed to help them along

Chris Rock (who i dont think has ever worked in Ireland) said same thing on Bigger and Blacker.

So yes it happens, but by no means exclusive to Ireland. Now quit being negative "grass always greener" gobs and send me some more funny posts for that Dragons Den thread. Laughing my wobbly bits off this morning at that...

It definitely is, but as it has worked in my favor more often than not I like it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

Poll clerks at the polling stations seem to be the same faces year after year, just an observation.

When they say 'It's not what you know but who you know that matters' it certainly seems to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Scawgeen wrote: »
    Poll clerks at the polling stations seem to be the same faces year after year, just an observation.

When they say 'It's not what you know but who you know that matters' it certainly seems to be true.

actually, it's not what you know, or even who you know, but what you know about who that really matters;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

this happens everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Scawgeen wrote: »

That job is supposed to be great money. I've heard it's a closed shop all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Its the same everywhere. Look in england, the MPs have all their family employed as aides and secretaries to get some extra dough. We arent unique in this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

It will become much more obvious now the boom is busted, just like the 80's. It is not particularly fair, but then again what is?

Advertisement