Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go harvey norman, please go

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,112 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ScumLord wrote: »
    These companies don't make losses. They complain when they don't make as much profit as they wanted.

In Ireland they do.

http://www.advfn.com/news_UPDATE-1-Harvey-Norman-profit-seen-down-on-Ireland-losses_28384777.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

The_Coon wrote: »
    First we dragged the EU down, now Harvey Normans - class. :)

So which branch do you work for? ;)

Special-Branch

Wowz. Do ya get a special parking space? :pac:

No, but I bought a diabled parking permit from a heroin addict so I can park anywhere that I want.

Go team you! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,112 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

First we dragged the EU down, now Harvey Normans - class. :)

Tomorrow the world.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

SNPP wrote:
    Lisa: If your advertising agency created all those giant characters, you
    must know how to stop them.
    Man: Well sir, advertising is a funny thing. If people stop paying
    attention to it, pretty soon, it goes away.
    Lisa: Like that old woman who couldn't find the beef?
    Man: Exactly. If you stop paying attention to the monsters, they'll
    lose their powers.
    Lisa: But people can't help looking at them. They're wrecking the town.
    [out the window, the monsters wreck the town]
    Man: You know, maybe a jingle would help.
    [plays a piano arpeggio, sings] Don't watch the mon --
    [plays another arpeggio] Don't watch the...monsters-s-s.
    [chuckles] Well, it'll sound a lot better coming out of Paul
    Anka.
    -- The medium is the message, "Treehouse of Horror VI"

Outside, a crowd of people watch the monsters. Lard Lad bashes Jebediah
    Springfield with his donut. Lisa addresses them with a megaphone.

Lisa: Hey, Springfield! Are you suffering from the heartbreak
    of...Monster-itis? Then take a tip from Mr. Paul Anka!
    [Paul waves, begins playing a small synthesizer and singing]
    To stop those monsters, one-two-three,
    Here's a fresh new way that's trouble-free.
    It's got Paul Anka's guarantee...[winks]
    Lisa: [singing] Guarantee void in Tennessee.
    Together: [singing] Just don't look. Just don't look.
    [people turn away; the monsters turn to look]
    Just don't look. Just don't look.
    [more people turn away]
    Just don't look. Just don't look.
    [the monsters try to destroy things faster, but start
    collapsing]
    -- The power of music, "Treehouse of Horror VI"

Paul Bunyon falls on the Springfield General Hospital, his ox Babe
    destroys the birthplace of Jebediah Springfield, and a flying magic
    carpet destroys the birthplace of Norman Vincent Peale.

Lisa: [jubilant] It worked! They're all dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Abigayle wrote: »
    Go team you! :)

what like? when liverpool loose... :P:D

what like? when liverpool lose... :P:D

Gtfo :eek: Oh you had to go for the upper cut. You son of an Everton supporter! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Abigayle wrote: »
    Gtfo :eek: Oh you had to go for the upper cut. You son of an Everton supporter! :D

:eek: your a cheeky bit of skirt aint ya :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Saruman wrote: »
    They are at least employing Irish people.

Its just a pity that our Irish retailers ripped us off for so long leaving an opening for the likes of HN and Currys. They may employ Irish ppl but the profits go to Oz

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

M5 wrote: »
    Its just a pity that our Irish retailers ripped us off for so long leaving an opening for the likes of HN and Currys. They may employ Irish ppl but the profits go to Oz

Are they both not on the stock exchange? If so the profits would go to whoever decided to buy stock in the company and they can be in whatever country they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

hmmmm... *heads to Harvey Normans*

Are they both not on the stock exchange? If so the profits would go to whoever decided to buy stock in the company and they can be in whatever country they like.

Harvey Norman is on the Ozzy SE
    Currys is part of DSGI which is listed on the London SE

Very much doubt that much of the profit generated in Ireland is going to Irish stockholders. Point is its money going out of the country....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

M5 wrote: »
    Harvey Norman is on the Ozzy SE
    Currys is part of DSGI which is listed on the London SE

Very much doubt that much of the profit generated in Ireland is going to Irish stockholders. Point is its money going out of the country....

That could well be the case but the point I was trying to make is that once a company is floated on the stock exchange the profits aren't necessarily staying in the country they set up in. Once you have businesses this big they tend to transcend national borders.

Also, didn't one of the owners of harvey normans say that lost a load of money on their Irish division? If so, no profits have left the country it's the opposite. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My husband works in it. So no Harvey Norman, don't feckin' go anywhere!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah they aren't making money but the ads are annoying so I can see why.

I don't shop there, buy loads of electronic stuff and never once set foot in one.

Really annoying and not the cheapest in a lot of cases which I've heard from people who have shopped there.

That could well be the case but the point I was trying to make is that once a company is floated on the stock exchange the profits aren't necessarily staying in the country they set up in. Once you have businesses this big they tend to transcend national borders.

Also, didn't one of the owners of harvey normans say that lost a load of money on their Irish division? If so, no profits have left the country it's the opposite. :)

Of course, but in general I think you could say 80% would be locally based

HN is a franchise anyway AFIK, but all the same it would nice to have an Irish company on the Irish stock exchange selling goods like this...

Of course my point is as much a reflection on the rip off merchants that preceded HN etc as well. And the reason we are having this conversation is because of a sickening part of our culture. Seems to be everywhere you look. Or maybe im being over cynical due to lack of sleep :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If something is cheaper in another shop, of course people are going to purchase it. Irish retailers should never have got onto that high horse, thinking they can charge what they like. Tough sh!t I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭maloney333

go Harvey go

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Instead of boycotting the store how about boycotting the radio/TV station that plays ads LOUDER than the program. Yes the ad people do this but unless there is some back pressure they will continue to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Yes Harvey, do go go GO! Wouldn't buy anything in there, simply because it's not that cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

If you buy an item in Harveys and you see it cheaper elsewhere they'll refund you 110% of the difference, FACT!!

The ads can be annoying I agree but no disputing the value.

As for the profits going abroad, its no different to the 100's of U.S. companies that operate here. They're creating plenty of jobs and are a major plus to the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Instead of boycotting the store how about boycotting the radio/TV station that plays ads LOUDER than the program. Yes the ad people do this but unless there is some back pressure they will continue to do so.

Companies often use compression and equalisation tricks to make ads seems louder than they are. In Harvey Norman's case it's fairly extreme so I'd say they just slip the broadcasters an extra few quid to turn it up to 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If you buy an item in Harveys and you see it cheaper elsewhere they'll refund you 110% of the difference, FACT!!

The ads can be annoying I agree but no disputing the value.

As for the profits going abroad, its no different to the 100's of U.S. companies that operate here. They're creating plenty of jobs and are a major plus to the economy.

And the ads help to keep the radio stations going, which in turn pay for more Irish jobs. GO HARVEY GO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

greendom wrote: »
    And the ads help to keep the radio stations going, which in turn pay for more Irish jobs. GO HARVEY GO

Yeah, it would be terrible to see Gerry Ryan, Ryan Tubridy, Pat Kenny, etc out of a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yeah, it would be terrible to see Gerry Ryan, Ryan Tubridy, Pat Kenny, etc out of a job.

Yeah, and all the support staff, producers, engineers, cleaners, etc etc.. Yeah great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

greendom wrote: »
    Yeah, and all the support staff, producers, engineers, cleaners, etc etc.. Yeah great

Collatoral Damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mojo2222

love2swim wrote: »
    Friends
    If you agree with the statement below, please reply to the thread +1

'As long as Harvey Norman's continue with their advertising campaign, I will not be shopping in their stores'.

Will you be shopping where the Union Jack has been painted Green, White & Gold?

Not annoying at all :mad:

Advertisement