Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread makers, Ice cream makers. Do you still use them

Options
  • 25-04-2005 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭

I was always thinking of getting a bread maker and maybe an ice cream maker. Woodies have an ice cream maker for €20 at the moment, think it was kenwoods or krupps. But are they just a gimmick. I think I would use it for a month or so and then it would end up in the press, never to be used again.

Are they worth the bother? I have looked in the supermarket and dry yeast costs a fortune so it may be cheaper to buy from a bakery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yeah breadmakers dont really help that much to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 foodietwoshoes

I don't own a breadmaker, but I do have an icecream maker. My ice-cream making is generally confined to summers, but that still makes owning the appliance worthwhile. Just be warned though, that the cheaper models (mine was priced at Euros 20 too) require their canisters to be frozen for at least 24 hours, so you either have to plan things well in advance or permanently leave the canister in the freezer. As to whether you'll use it or not after the novelty has worn off really depends on you and on the level of ice-cream addiction in your house. One thing is for sure though, fresh, home-made icecream tastes like heaven.

I have a question: What about slow cookers? Is it worth buying? I've got my eye on the Morphy Richards one at Argos, but it is pricey at 50 euros, so I want to make sure it's worth the investment and the counter space.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have a breadmaker and I use it at least twice a week to make bread for my lunch etc. i had a €80 Morphy Richard one that died - i replaced it with one from Lidl for €40 and it's WAY better!! :D

Advertisement