Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

microsoft word ?

• 09-01-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi

I have a galaxy s2 and i was under the impression for some reason that i can open and read pretty much any type of file . today i went onto my college moodle page and attempted to view a microsoft word document but nothing happend ? Was i wrong to think this

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Microsoft Word isn't available for android but I imagine many of the other productivity suite apps on the market are compatible with Word files. Try a few free ones on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bobby10_10

such as documents to go , google docs etc ?

Ive downloaded them but nothing is happening , still can't open them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Could be the browser can't handle the moodle page (especially if it's MS)
    Try the same link in Firefox for Android.
    Word files should open in Polaris on your S2.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Could be the browser can't handle the moodle page (especially if it's MS)
    Try the same link in Firefox for Android.
    Word files should open in Polaris on your S2.

Thats what i thought , i will try some another broweser . thanks

Thanks , will have to start using firefox as default browser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

bobby10_10 wrote: »
    Thanks , will have to start using firefox as default browser
    I wouldn't go that far, it's a cool browser but still no flash support! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I downloaded SmartOffice for free using the GetJar app. They give free apps in the GetJar Gold section. Have a look in there and get it. It defo opens any Word or Excel documents. I've tried a few anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I use moodle in college and had the same problem.

I figured out a workaround and I think it was to long press the document link on the moodle page, open it as a background tab/window and that would bring up a link to download it.

Not sure if that's the problem you have, but it sounds like the problem I had.
    If you're able to actually download them and none of the apps are opening, then I'm stumped.

What benefits would smart office have over Polaris ? is it not just the same kind of app ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

polaris works fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I use moodle too but I like to have the files so I don't have to access them from the site and so I don't need to click through and log in every time, I also use the box app as cloud storage for them and it opens anything I throw at it in in 2 taps from the "cloud", plus they can be cached for offline access. So far I tried .pdf .docx .xls .txt

So i basically choose the download option when I click on the file and with the box installed I get the option to upload it to there. Save me needing an offic eapp installed but google docs is also another free alternative for cloud and local viewing and editing of doc's of various kinds.

Actually I was using Opera as my browser so might be why I get options to download etc.

Advertisement