Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android on Three, looking for alternative

Options
  • 22-08-2010 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

When I lose 3G / HSDPA signal and drop back to 2G, Android detects the phone as roaming, since Three's 2G access is actually through Vodafone. This causes the data connection to cut out and it takes several seconds / minutes to reconnect.

When I am in a fringe 3G area (i.e. most areas) jumping from 2G to 3G, the phone is unusable as an internet device so I just have it set up to use only 2G networks.

What is it like on networks? Does dropping to 2G or hoping to 3G cause the data connection to drop? Does it "degrade" and "upgrade" signal type gracefully

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

mmm it just switches to 3G when available...

would kinda help to know what phone you have and witch android firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    When I lose 3G / HSDPA signal and drop back to 2G, Android detects the phone as roaming, since Three's 2G access is actually through Vodafone. This causes the data connection to cut out and it takes several seconds / minutes to reconnect.

When I am in a fringe 3G area (i.e. most areas) jumping from 2G to 3G, the phone is unusable as an internet device so I just have it set up to use only 2G networks.

What is it like on networks? Does dropping to 2G or hoping to 3G cause the data connection to drop? Does it "degrade" and "upgrade" signal type gracefully

So glad you posted OP - had been considering a move to 3 for the 2 GB allowance on the smartphone plans but I live in a fringe area too.

No problems on Meteor going from 3G to 2G on an N1 running stock Froyo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

mmm it just switches to 3G when available...

would kinda help to know what phone you have and witch android firmware

Happens on the Hero with both 1.6 and 2.1. Official and modified roms.

Android in general sees Three's 2G network as a roaming network so it will happen on every Android based phone I would imagine.

yes all android pick it up as roaming...since 3 doesnt have edge it only picks up gprs signal which android sees as roaming...its the same on my handset but i dont see the problem with it :) tbh if you get a bad coverage with 3 your likely gonna get it with the rest in your house with other carriers...

though your best go is either check your coverage with other suppliers either on their websites or call them :) but no carrier can guarantee you in-house 3G coverage or even decent gprs coverage

yes all android pick it up as roaming...since 3 doesnt have edge it only picks up gprs signal which android sees as roaming...its the same on my handset but i dont see the problem with it :) tbh if you get a bad coverage with 3 your likely gonna get it with the rest in your house with other carriers...

though your best go is either check your coverage with other suppliers either on their websites or call them :) but no carrier can guarantee you in-house 3G coverage or even decent gprs coverage

The point is if the signal type changes from 2G to 3G or Vice-versa the data connection is lost and takes a while to re-establish.

This is a problem if you are in a fringe area where it keeps switching between the different signal types. Or if you are on the move with Google navigation or maps.

It transitions from 3G to H (HSDPA) flawlessly with no drop of connection. What I am wondering is on other networks is the transition from 2G to 3G also flawless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

No issues with O2, swicthing from H to E...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

No problems with Meteor switching between edge, 3G and HSDPA on the following devices:

HTC G1 - Android 1.6
    HTC Hero - Android 2.1-update1
    HTC Hero - VillainRom 2.1
    HTC Nexus One - Android 2.2

OK, so now I am definitely moving from Three.

I rarely text or call, and would only use a moderate amount of data.

Currently with Three I can buy 250mb data bundle for €5, so most months I can get away with buying only €10 credit.

Looking at o2, Vodafone and Metor price plans they shove the "top up by a minimum of €20 and get these rates" in your face and it's hard to find "real" rates.

as most people said :) if your in a good coverage area you wont struggle to switch to 3G...

as most people said :) if your in a good coverage area you wont struggle to switch to 3G...

You are the only person who said that.

You don't seem to grasp what my problem is at all.

• Advertisement

oh nvm

Advertisement